Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Hi there, I'm in the market for getting a new mic, and I'm wondering what other people have encountered using mics that in your experience, work well for high baritone to tenor male vocals, or just male vocals in general...

This is more leaning towards folk or smooth pop singing... Any info regarding what mikes you've found that compliment this kind of voice, I'd appreciate...

Presently I have a CAD E350, running it through a Mackie SR24*4 and while it works well for female voices generally, it doesn't compliment male voices as much... Also, please mention what preamps you're using with a setup...

I guess price wise I can go up to $700, but I'm more interested in less expensive mics... Nowadays, inxpensive does not mean bad, from what I'm hearing all over... However, if you've had great experiences with a more expensive mic, let me know

Thanks in advance

Sound, Studio, and Stage Island
10k Club
10k Club
It really depends. For under $700, that leaves out the Lawson L251, which is a beautiful mic for male (and female) vocals in a big way.

If you want a bit of a sheen on the top end, a Rode NT2 is not a bad choice. I've been able to cut really great vocals with male singers that sound robust but with an airy top end that is sometimes too harsh for some female singers. It really depends on the vocalist, though, you know?

I've heard other people say nice things about the Shure KSM32, the Marshalls...maybe check into those as well.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I use a 10 year old ElectroVoice PL50 N/D, and I've always had good luck with it. I don't think they make that model anymore, but they still make the N/D line, and I assume that they are similar. I think I paid about $100 for it, new. Hope this helps.

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I use a Studio Projects C1 Microphone . It runs for about $200, new.

T
OP Offline
T
Hi guys, thanks for your replies... Ken, yes the lawson looks like a great mike, but unfortunately, price wise it's way out of my range, but I'm glad you responded cause someday it may come into my range and I'll pick one up.. \:\)

Ouisel thanks, I'll look into the eletrovoice n/d line...

eljefe, i've heard good things about the C1, and I guess I'll have to try one out... I just wonder if it's going to be about the same as my E350, which is not a bad mic... But I guess I'll find out in the listen... Thanks for posting..

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hmmm, the only mic in your price range that I can wholeheartedly recommend for (most - there are always exceptions) male vocals is the ADK A51tc. It consistantly sounds close to - or occasionally better than - the Brauners, Soundelux, M149s and other multi-kilobucks mics I audition whan matching a male voice with a mic/signal chain. Note that this is style dependent - I usually record more traditional rock/pop/blues singers, not the modern vein-popping-shredded-vocal-cords "controlled scream" type of vocal that's becomming common.

Scott

Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by S_Gould:
Hmmm, the only mic in your price range that I can wholeheartedly recommend for (most - there are always exceptions) male vocals is the ADK A51tc.
Scott
MIX Magazine review HERE.

Gas

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo
10k Club
10k Club
Quote:
Originally posted by tradivoro:
Hi guys, thanks for your replies... Ken, yes the lawson looks like a great mike, but unfortunately, price wise it's way out of my range, but I'm glad you responded cause someday it may come into my range and I'll pick one up.. \:\)
It's really nice. You know how you get a nice new mic and then you just have to go around and use it on everything (well, at least, that's what I do...)? Well, this one sounds great on everything. I use it on the outside kick drum, vocals (male and female), guitar cabinets (clean, distorted), everything, and it always sounds good. If it weren't so darn heavy, I would try it on overheads, too. I couldn't afford the L251 either. I won a Lawson mic at an AES drawing and then paid to upgrade. I was really really lucky.

T
OP Offline
T
Hi Scott, thanks for tht recommendation... The vocals I'm doing are also more traditional, smooth and controlled and it would be interesting to see if this works well... I'll check it out..

Gas, thanks for the review link...

T
OP Offline
T
Yeah Ken, I know about having something new that works well and using it on everything... Yeah, really good how you came about one... \:\)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hi. What pre-amp are you using now? Maybe that's where you need to put your money.

10k Club
10k Club
I lot of guys on rec.audio.pro really like the Marshalls a lot, including a lot of people whose opinions I trust. I have no experience with the Marshalls or ADK. However, I did audition the ADKs through headphones at an AES show (you might be thinking, "that's not a very good test - and you'd be right! ), and they seemed to sound fine, and the prices are certainly low. They may be a pretty good series of mics to audition as well.

I haven't recommended some of the Audio Technica mics even though I use them a fair amount. They are relatively flat sounding, and I have been trying to think of mics that have a little more "air" and lift to them in the high end because I have the impression (which might be wrong) that since you didn't like the CAD, which is not very hyped in the high end, you might like other mics that don't have that lift in the high end as well. The Audio Technicas that I've used don't have that hype. I use, for instance, an AT4060 tube condenser (modified), which is a beautiful sounding mic, but it's not very tubey sounding or have much of a rise in the "airy" part of the high end. Sounds great for some vocals and a lot of other things, though.

The Rode NT2, on the other hand, does have that very nice lift. I pull that out on occasion with male (and some female) vocalists if they seem to really want that extra "sizzle" and/or "air", and usually, they're really pleased with the results.

I am using a Peavey VMP-2 tube mic preamp, in case this matters. It's cool sounding but fairly tubey sounding. I like it, but it's not what one would usually characterize as a super "open" or "airy" mic preamp.

Lettuce know what you audition and buy.

T
OP Offline
T
Hi Bob, presently I'm using the pre-amps from a mackie board, the SR 24*4... I've been thinking of also getting the Really Nice Pre-amp and see if that sounds better than those in the Mackie... It's not like I get a horrible sound, it sounds good, but it doesn't have a certain clarity I hear on some recordings....

T
OP Offline
T
Hi Ken, that's one thing, that there is a good amount of cheaply priced mikes out there, and I'm sure something out there wil work for me... I'll check out the Marshalls...

Actually, I just heard a dry recording of a female voice, no instruments on a Shure KSM27 and listening, it doesn't sound much different than my CAD...

I guess the best way to describe it is that it has this "bassiness" that covers the recording like a mist... It doesn't sound clear, like things sound in real life... Maybe I'm just out of my mind... \:\)

But the Rode NT2 sound like another one to try out... I just borrowed an AKG 1000, which supposedly is a bright mike, and it is a tad brighter than the CAD, but nothing to make me say "Yeah, this is better"...

Mind you, none of these recordings sound horrible, it's just that I would like to print something without EQ that by itself, it really sounds good...

10k Club
10k Club
To my ear, the Rode NT2 is a different kind of brightness from the AKG, which to my ear is harsher. The Rode NT2 has a peak around 12kHz, which creates a much airier sort of sound and is usually not harsh.

A
Gold Member
Gold Member
A
I've been using the ADK A51TC for a couple of years now.I really like it on almost everything I try,it's not too bassy,or sibilant.It's got a nice burnished mid-range charicter that compliments it's tight low-end.I have to disagree with the MIX review on one point,my mic does not pass the key ring test.It clips,and limits,but it still sounds very nice on acoustic guitar,I like to use it at the bridge position,in combination with my U87i at the neck.
It's been a great vocal mic for Altos that tend to get a little shrill.Tenors are nice and baritones as well. I tend to prefer,that have beta57 on baritones,or a RCA or coles ribbon for that Bing Crosby effect

D
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Quote:
Originally posted by tradivoro:
Hi there, I'm in the market for getting a new mic, and I'm wondering what other people have encountered using mics that in your experience, work well for high baritone to tenor male vocals, or just male vocals in general...

This is more leaning towards folk or smooth pop singing... Any info regarding what mikes you've found that compliment this kind of voice, I'd appreciate...

Presently I have a CAD E350, running it through a Mackie SR24*4 and while it works well for female voices generally, it doesn't compliment male voices as much... Also, please mention what preamps you're using with a setup...

I guess price wise I can go up to $700, but I'm more interested in less expensive mics... Nowadays, inxpensive does not mean bad, from what I'm hearing all over... However, if you've had great experiences with a more expensive mic, let me know

Thanks in advance
I happen to really like the Marhsall Electronics Mics. I have the MXL 1006 large diaphragm mic & the MXL 1000 medium diaphragm mics. Both are excellent for my voice. I run them bare into my Phonic mixer. It has pretty good pre-amps so I don't use an outboard pre.
I don't think the 1000 is being built anymore. I can't find it on their website. I'm guessing either the 600 replaced it. The chart is the same with the exception of the 1000 having a higher signal to noise ratio than the 600, 80dB to 74dB.
All in all, great mics, IMHO.

Hey, even the one dynamic mic they make, the FOX, is a pretty darned good mic. \:D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...
T
OP Offline
T
Hi audiofreek, that certainly looks like a good mike from the specs and stuff... I'm just going to have to ask around town and find if I can rent or buy these with the possibility of return for a different mike or something...

T
OP Offline
T
Hi Daklander, thanks for your feedback on the Marshall mikes... I'm definitely going to give those a listen too...

T
OP Offline
T
Hi Ken, I might post some examples of different mikes as soon as I can figure out what's the easiest way for people to click and listen...

B
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
HEY TRADDY!
I know you probably may thank I'm silly yet I use a SHURE fifty seven,(fifty bucks) for my main vocals, a radio shack condenser battery powered mic(thirty bucks) for more than one voice or for room micing and a computer PENCIL mic with a FOAM mini-pop filter(two dollars) for recording accoustic guitars. they seem to work for me.
My MAIN pop filter is a coat hanger stretched into a circle and attached to the stand. I used two layers of PLASTIC PORCH SCREEN wrapped around it and attached to the framework with a clothspin ahahaha!. cost FREE.
I ain't payed hundreds of dollars and I still get the job done. ahahaha!

A
Gold Member
Gold Member
A
I recently tried out the APEX multi pattern(9 polar patterns) large diaphram condesor.It has a 12AX7 tube,and looks like alot of the lower priced Chinese tube mics.
It was OK,but lacked the deffinition of the ADK.I'm not sure if this was due to the electronics,or the capsule,or both.The capsule looks to be of hi quality,perhaps some modifications could clear the signal up a little(ie Jensen transformer).

T
OP Offline
T
Hey Spence, a lot of people speak well of the '57 and the '58, I just gotta get my hands on one... On the right voice, those mics work well...

T
OP Offline
T
Hi Audiofreek, yes so far the adk looks like a good contender... Of the ones mentioned here so far, the adk, the nt2, the marshall, the C1 and maybe experiment too with a different pre-amp along with these guys...

B
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
hey,hey! my LAST name is Spencer. My first name is RICK

T
OP Offline
T
No problem Rick.. \:\)

B
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
muchas' gracias' mi' amigo'. muy' bueno' mi' casa' su' casa', liberte'.!

Quote:
Originally posted by arellspencer:
hey,hey! my LAST name is Spencer. My first name is RICK
So who is Arell?

Track or treat?
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
$700 huh? Save yourself a few hundred more, get a Rode NTK and the RNC. You'll be a happy camper.

A
Gold Member
Gold Member
A
Isn't the NTK the only "class A" tube mic in this price range?I have had great results on male Tenor vocals( whiskey voiced country singer) with this mic,very little EQ required.I have not used the RNC,but it sounds like another "best bang for the buck" item.From what I hear,nothing even comes close in it's price range.

M
M
Hi

Forgive me if this is out of your price range (I'm in the UK so don't know what these things retail at in the states), but I get great results on a lot of male vocalists from my Audio Technica AT-4050. If it turns out the mic is too pricey, the 4033 has a similar family sound. These things are always subjective and results often vary from vocalist to vocalist - sometimes the SM58 is better than the U-87, so it's always a case of try everything you have.

Hope this helps,

Mike

This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve."
-- Geroge W Bush speaking during Perseverance Month at Fairgrounds Elementary School in Nashua, N.H.
T
OP Offline
T
Hi Michael, yeah, the 4050 is another mike that I'm thinking about... It's not that much over $700, but I know it's also a great mic... Thanks for reminding me about it...

T
OP Offline
T
A lot of people speak well of the RNC... I'm hoping to check that out as well soon...

Dear Trad,

I have a CAD E200. It has recorded some pretty nice sounding male vocals, and I've always wanted to try the E350 with its better electronics. But I also have a Studio Projects C1 and I must admit it gets more use than the CAD nowadays. I consider the CAD to be nicely dark where the C1 is bright. For a tenor such as myself, the C1 will emphasize what I call the "cutting part" of my voice. With the RNC it's a great signal path, whether I am using my high-end pre or the wimpy pre's in my Yamaha 01W board. I record a lot of singer-songwriter stuff, and find that if there's not a lot going on other than voice and guitar I like a darker mic, or one with a flatter response. Like the Blue Baby Bottle, which will take the ENTIRE SPECTRUM and pump it in your face like melted butter.

The C1 is NOT like your CAD. It would compliment it nicely, though.

Regarding Preamps, I'd like to say this: I have several cheap mics. Through my good preamp they all have some quality I like, but through my mixer's pre's they are lackluster. I would consider spending that $700 on something like a Grace 101 or an FMR RNP. It will make your CAD seem like a new mic.

-armand
Rubber Lizard Productions
Ashland, Oregon

Rubber Lizard Studio
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Armand... Basically, the E350 is a good mic... And I'm sure it would sound better through something like the rnc... So, it's just a matter of time before I try all these suggestions and find out if the pre-amp is all I need, or am I going to need a new mic as well.. And see which of all of these suggested works best for me...

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I own an NTK and a C1 and think they are both just dandy.(in quite different ways)

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:

I've heard other people say nice things about the Shure KSM32, the Marshalls...maybe check into those as well.[/QB]
I just read in TapeOp how the KSM32 is gaining alot of fans. I also gather that a kickass preamp might bridge the gap between good and great.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in
10k Club
10k Club
This is off the topic from mics, but since someone mentioned an RNC...I think it's one of the greatest bargains in pro audio. If you don't mind the fact that it has 1/4" I/O, it is really transparent sounding and just awesome at any price. They sell for about US$200. Really amazing. I have two and will eventually buy a third one.

T
OP Offline
T
Hi Ken, yes, I have one, very nice unit...

Trad, it really sounds like you could use a new preamp. If it were me, that's what I'd do. If you already have an RNC, an RNP would compliment it nicely... and if you really plan to keep expanding, as you seem to indicate, you're gonna have to do it eventually.

Rubber Lizard Studio
What about a Shure SM7? $400 and used on countless rock records in lue of mics 10 times its price. It is however a dynamic mic but if you like the vocal sound of the last three Aerosmith albulms or last 2 Creed albulms to name a few it was used almost exclusively on Vocals.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to share my experiences with the title of this thread...

I haven't had any experiences with singer's named mike, so I can't comment on their vocal abilities.
I'm not even sure about singers named Steve, Phil, or Joe.
I wish I knew a chick named Shirley that worked well with male vocals. You can just see the hair on her chest.

I might of knew a guy named Mike that worked well. I wasn't a superviser or anything, but I'm sure I knew a guy named Mike. Or was it Steve?

I'm trying to think of that guy's name that owns Radio Shack. Oh yeah...Bill. He never did any vocals for me, but he sold me a few microphones.
I think they were on sale. He knows I never buy anything at Radio Shack, unless it's on sale.

(Tell me this little guy doesn't have issues. It's the Elton John avatar.)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My current workhorse. The only thing Ive found this mic ISNT wonderful on is drum overheads.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."
"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

D
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Ah Mr. Mullet Duh Duh, Brand X microphones. They are very much akin to ACME Microphones. \:D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard