Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Hi

Forgive me if this is out of your price range (I'm in the UK so don't know what these things retail at in the states), but I get great results on a lot of male vocalists from my Audio Technica AT-4050. If it turns out the mic is too pricey, the 4033 has a similar family sound. These things are always subjective and results often vary from vocalist to vocalist - sometimes the SM58 is better than the U-87, so it's always a case of try everything you have.

Hope this helps,

Mike

This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve."
-- Geroge W Bush speaking during Perseverance Month at Fairgrounds Elementary School in Nashua, N.H.
Sound, Studio, and Stage Island
T
OP Offline
T
Hi Michael, yeah, the 4050 is another mike that I'm thinking about... It's not that much over $700, but I know it's also a great mic... Thanks for reminding me about it...

T
OP Offline
T
A lot of people speak well of the RNC... I'm hoping to check that out as well soon...

Dear Trad,

I have a CAD E200. It has recorded some pretty nice sounding male vocals, and I've always wanted to try the E350 with its better electronics. But I also have a Studio Projects C1 and I must admit it gets more use than the CAD nowadays. I consider the CAD to be nicely dark where the C1 is bright. For a tenor such as myself, the C1 will emphasize what I call the "cutting part" of my voice. With the RNC it's a great signal path, whether I am using my high-end pre or the wimpy pre's in my Yamaha 01W board. I record a lot of singer-songwriter stuff, and find that if there's not a lot going on other than voice and guitar I like a darker mic, or one with a flatter response. Like the Blue Baby Bottle, which will take the ENTIRE SPECTRUM and pump it in your face like melted butter.

The C1 is NOT like your CAD. It would compliment it nicely, though.

Regarding Preamps, I'd like to say this: I have several cheap mics. Through my good preamp they all have some quality I like, but through my mixer's pre's they are lackluster. I would consider spending that $700 on something like a Grace 101 or an FMR RNP. It will make your CAD seem like a new mic.

-armand
Rubber Lizard Productions
Ashland, Oregon

Rubber Lizard Studio
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Armand... Basically, the E350 is a good mic... And I'm sure it would sound better through something like the rnc... So, it's just a matter of time before I try all these suggestions and find out if the pre-amp is all I need, or am I going to need a new mic as well.. And see which of all of these suggested works best for me...

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I own an NTK and a C1 and think they are both just dandy.(in quite different ways)

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:

I've heard other people say nice things about the Shure KSM32, the Marshalls...maybe check into those as well.[/QB]
I just read in TapeOp how the KSM32 is gaining alot of fans. I also gather that a kickass preamp might bridge the gap between good and great.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in
10k Club
10k Club
This is off the topic from mics, but since someone mentioned an RNC...I think it's one of the greatest bargains in pro audio. If you don't mind the fact that it has 1/4" I/O, it is really transparent sounding and just awesome at any price. They sell for about US$200. Really amazing. I have two and will eventually buy a third one.

T
OP Offline
T
Hi Ken, yes, I have one, very nice unit...

Trad, it really sounds like you could use a new preamp. If it were me, that's what I'd do. If you already have an RNC, an RNP would compliment it nicely... and if you really plan to keep expanding, as you seem to indicate, you're gonna have to do it eventually.

Rubber Lizard Studio
What about a Shure SM7? $400 and used on countless rock records in lue of mics 10 times its price. It is however a dynamic mic but if you like the vocal sound of the last three Aerosmith albulms or last 2 Creed albulms to name a few it was used almost exclusively on Vocals.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to share my experiences with the title of this thread...

I haven't had any experiences with singer's named mike, so I can't comment on their vocal abilities.
I'm not even sure about singers named Steve, Phil, or Joe.
I wish I knew a chick named Shirley that worked well with male vocals. You can just see the hair on her chest.

I might of knew a guy named Mike that worked well. I wasn't a superviser or anything, but I'm sure I knew a guy named Mike. Or was it Steve?

I'm trying to think of that guy's name that owns Radio Shack. Oh yeah...Bill. He never did any vocals for me, but he sold me a few microphones.
I think they were on sale. He knows I never buy anything at Radio Shack, unless it's on sale.

(Tell me this little guy doesn't have issues. It's the Elton John avatar.)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My current workhorse. The only thing Ive found this mic ISNT wonderful on is drum overheads.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."
"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

D
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Ah Mr. Mullet Duh Duh, Brand X microphones. They are very much akin to ACME Microphones. \:D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard