Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2059749 - 03/31/09 05:46 PM Motif ES8 memory expansion
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Can someone with a Yamaha Motif ES enlighten me on memory expansion? It seems that you can purchase memory expansion DIMMS, install them yourself and download voices you purchase. How are these voices downloaded? I hear that this is volatile memory and must be reloaded every time you turn on unit. Is there an easier way? Also, what are the "plug-ins"? Just trying to understand the options to expand this instrument. BTW, can anyone suggest the best quality grand piano sound to download onto the Motif ES? The preset sample is not the greatest.
Thanks, aellison

Edited by aellison62 (03/31/09 05:47 PM)

KC Island
#2059830 - 03/31/09 10:28 PM Re: Motif ES8 memory expansion [Re: aellison62]
raddtunes Offline
Gold Member

Loc: vegas
Briefly - the DIMMS are for sampling and wave memory - this part of the memory is volatile, and has to be reloaded when you boot up. That is - if you need/use sampling and wave memory. You may find - especially at first - that the thousands of sounds you have already available are enough.

Voices that are downloaded don't necessarily require user sampling/wave memory - - and many that you can purchase out there don't.

Plug-ins provide a number of exra features/sounds etc. to the unit. I would become much more familiar with your keyboard before considering purhcasing any of this stuff - just my opinion.

Can't help with the piano sound. You want to take a really good, long, hard look at motifator.com as well. Good luck and have fun!

#2059901 - 04/01/09 07:16 AM Re: Motif ES8 memory expansion [Re: raddtunes]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
If I were you, I would buy the DIMM's for the ES8 ASAP. The system board in the ES8 is a "dated" design, and memory for that type of system board is disappearing and won't be manufactured any more. There might be some third party memory available from different suppliers, basically "old" stock. Get at least 256MB, prefer 512MB if you can find a deal on it. I wouldn't go with 1GB of memory because you won't make use of it. The 1.1 USB port is slow by today's standards and it would take forever to load up a large sample that takes up that much memory.

You should have gotten a set of CD's with your ES8. There are sounds on these disks that are not on the ES8 as standard. Some of them are from the previous Motif series. I think they are worth listening too and determine if you want to use any of them. If you do, you can save them into user voice banks. Then you can save them as "All Voice" and every time you start up your Motif, you load them into memory. If you use any of these sounds in Song mode, the sounds are saved with the song when you save your songs as "All Song". Its not all that time consuming to load these up at start up, provided you don't change a majority of the user banks to sounds that are not resident in the Motif ROM. I do this all the time.

I agree with raddtunes about not buying any plug-ins until you get a handle on the instrument first.

As far as the piano sounds, keep in mind that you can EQ the sounds to your liking. For example, the "Bright Piano" sound lacks low end. I edited that sound by increasing the LOW end (there is a 4 part EQ) and saving it to the user banks. Full Grand and Bright Grand are already in the factory user banks, so you can edit them to your liking and save them to the same location.

Hang in there with the ES8. I have mine 4 1/2 years, and although there are certainly improvements in the XS series over the ES series, I'm not running out anytime soon to buy one.

Mike T.

#2059960 - 04/01/09 09:25 AM Re: Motif ES8 memory expansion [Re: MikeT156]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
Originally Posted By: MikeT156
If I were you, I would buy the DIMM's for the ES8 ASAP.

Also the largest Smartmedia card you can find. And hopefully you can find them at all. The ES was designed to primarily use Smartmedia cards for external storage, and save/load times are much faster than via USB.

Yamaha was at one time giving out the S90ES piano to Motif users as some kind of promotion awhile back. You might want to ask about it over at Motifator forums. As for me, I'm personally very happy with the ES piano for gigging in rock and country bands, where it just seems to fit perfectly in the mix and it's faults aren't noticeable at all.

#2059984 - 04/01/09 09:58 AM Re: Motif ES8 memory expansion [Re: Bill H.]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Bill, if you can kind a Smartmedia card for sale somewhere (other than the out of sight price on Motifator.com) you could start a side-line business. They're as scarce as hen's teeth. However, USB 1GB flash drives work well with the ES8, although newer USB drives are not supported by the last OS update Yamaha brought out for the ES series (v1.08). Anyone needing USB drives for the ES series should look for drives that support Windows 98SE, those drives will work in the ES. The only thing you really need a Smartmedia card for is for installing OS updates where a bootable drive is necessary. A Yamaha tech told me that you could make the USB drive a bootable drive, but I didn't ask him how because I have two Smartmedia cards salted away. I also have 6 USB drives that work in my ES8.

Bill, I think that Yamaha was giving away an S700 piano sample. There is a triple strike S700 sample on the Motif disks, so its probably not the same thing. I tried it out and I like the ES8 stock piano sounds better.

aellison62-the thing to keep in mind is that "time marches on". Memory, flash drives, and other add-on's will eventuallyn go away for any KB model. You have to stock up on your supplies while they are available. Start hunting for the things we have suggested NOW.

Mike T.

#2060245 - 04/01/09 06:49 PM Re: Motif ES8 memory expansion [Re: MikeT156]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks Mike, Bill and raddtunes for the info. I will plan to purchase a pair of 256mb DIMMS soon. I purchased this Motif ES8 used so it didn't come with any CD'S. I will look at offerings on Motifator.com. I see voice libraries for sale on that site that come on flashdrives and I plan to purchase some of those. They should be able to be plugged right into the Motif USB port correct? In order to use voice libraries from CD's I would have to have the Motif connected to a computer, correct? Thank you again for the info!!

#2060376 - 04/02/09 07:22 AM Re: Motif ES8 memory expansion [Re: aellison62]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Aellison62:

Any voice libraries you purchase from Motifator.com specify what Motif they are to be used in. In many cases, there are versions for each Motif. When you place an order on their site, you have to fill in what Motif you have, so if you get a Flash Drive from them, it will work in your ES8. There are two USB ports on your Motif. One is to connect it to a computer, the other is for plugging in peripheral devices like Flash Drives, Hard Drives, Etc. The connectors or quite different so it's easy to determine which is for the Flash Drive and which is for the computer. If you download ANYTHING for your Motif, you can just copy it over to a USB Flash Drive directly from your computer. Then you can plug the Flash Drive into the Motif and load up what you want. You don't need to connect a computer to your Motif to do it.

You might want to check with the original owner of your Motif to find out where the he put the disks that came with your Motif. There is also a tutorial disk that will help immensely in getting a handle on the instrument and greatly shorten your learning curve. Most Yamaha dealers were given them to hand out. If the owner doesn't have the tutorial, you might be able to get one from a Yamaha dealer that has one.

If all else fails, call Yamaha tech support and ask them for a set of the disks. Ask them about the tutorial disk too. There is a single tutorial disk that was a freebie, and an entire set, which they charged for. The single tutorial disk is probably all you need.

You need the manuals too, both the User manual and the Supplemental manual. The Motif has a small screen and there are lot of abbreviations that you might not understand at first. Refer to the supplemental manual for these. It explains what everything means. You still might be able to down load the user manual on Motifator.com, it use to be there. Not sure about the supplemental manual.

A call to Yamaha wouldn't hurt so you can figure out what's available for your ES8. Usually, they are quite reasonable with getting you things that originally came with your instrument.

One more thing. Motifator charges a premium price for Flash Drives, Smart Media disks, etc. Look around at third party resellers on line and stock up on Flash Drives. Sometimes you can find Flash Drives that work on Windows 98 (and your Motif) near the checkout line at Walmart for about 10 bucks. Don't just buy one. You should have your Motif ES8 a long time if you take the time to learn how to use it. If you don't have sufficient backup devices, you will be SOL sometime down the road. Flash Drives don't last forever.

Mike T.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner