Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2049188 - 03/02/09 07:46 AM Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here)
edwindrewes Offline

Been using the ole' NS10Ms for years. Don't know if my ears can take anymore, but operating a small room I need something that can stay TRUE. Just curious what ya'll are using for your mixes that translate well. AKA M-Audio and KRK need not be listed.

#2049194 - 03/02/09 08:01 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: edwindrewes]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Mackie 824 - the original ones.

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#2051406 - 03/07/09 05:07 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
AudioMaverick Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Outskirts of Big Bear, CA,UNIT...
Event 20/20 Passives with a Hafler reference amp. Yeah, old school, too.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

#2051791 - 03/09/09 10:39 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: AudioMaverick]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

824's those things are horrible!!!!!!! The flubbing out of time lows that come off those passive radiators are impossible to mix on.

Edwin, keep the volume down, and if your 10's are more than 5 years old, consider replacing the tweeters. You can get them from Yamaha for pretty short money. We have found that after 4-5 years of heavy use, even at low volumes (which NS-10's should always be at) they get a bit tired and do get fatiguing quicker.

Check out the KRK Rockit 5's if you want small and accurate. They are very impressive, extremely flat and accurate, and have, for a 5" woofer, superb low end, far more accurate than those passive radiator mackies!!!!!!

#2051817 - 03/09/09 11:30 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

grin

Yeah...I guess that's why Mackie 824's preety much became the new "common standard" for many pro studios after they replaced their harsh sounding NS10's with the much smoother and wider range Mackie 824's. thu

The only people still using NS10's are the ones with permanent ear damage...and they need those extra harsh highs from the NS10's just the hear the mix!

laugh

wink

wave

#2051818 - 03/09/09 11:32 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: edwindrewes]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Originally Posted By: edwindrewes
Been using the ole' NS10Ms for years. Don't know if my ears can take anymore...

Do your ears (and your mixes) a favor and throw away those ear-bleeders!!!

grin

#2052058 - 03/10/09 06:31 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

Do your mixes a favor and throw them away if you mixed them on those Mackies, which are a far cry from an "industry standard" Obviously you have no ears if you can not hear the very distinct delay between the passive and active woofers, and the horribly inaccurate low end these monitors produce.

NS-10's are still the industry standard, and are a common element in every major studio, whether you want to believe it or not. Open any issue of Mix or Prosound, and look what is on the meter bridge of all the major studios: NS-10's.

Love em or hate em, they are the one and only standard in reference monitors, and have been for several decades.

#2052107 - 03/10/09 09:36 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

What are you reading...15-year-old back issues...???!!!

laugh

NS10s were obsolete back in the early 90s.
Some people still cling to them 'cuz they don't know how to mix on anything else...but that doesn't make them the current standard.

I was just listening to an unmastered mix of my current album project that was all done on the Mackie 824's...and it rocks on other systems! cool
After it's mastered...it will only be that much better.
The initial comments so far were..."It sounds so professional."
And you think I'm going to toss my 824's in favor of those ear-bleeders!!! grin

Hey...you can always drape a few extra tissues across them tweeters...that should soften them up! thu

Have a nice day...this discussion is a dead horse. deadhorse

#2052177 - 03/10/09 12:06 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

Page 20, March 2009 issue for starters.

Obviously you are not familiar with the NS-10M. The tissue over the tweeter was for the predecessor, the NS-10S.

So yes, your ignorance would make this discussion a dead horse.

#2052216 - 03/10/09 01:55 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Well…I don't buy monitors just based on what's advertised in a magazine...that's newbie territory.
I buy them based on what sounds right and what sounds good.

Many years ago I passed on the NS10's…and every subsequent time after that when I heard them (NS10S or NS10M)...my ears cringed at what they were hearing. eek
You have to have a good amount of hearing loss NOT to notice how nasty and harsh they sound...and how much they leave out of their frequency response.

Here is just one reviewer’s quote about their bad points (and I ain't making this up):

Quote:

Bad Points
1. People like to poke fun of its cardboard woofer (yes, it's made of cardboard), but this woofer has saved many dance music producers over the years. 2. The sound is irritating over the long haul like many monitors. Do not use them for everyday listening. 3. Limited frequency response, especially on the low-end.

So maybe if you are still just doing Dance music, you might like them....but as clearly stated...they are irritating, fatiguing and they have horrible low-end response.
Really...you accuse me of ignorance, and yet you are totally ignoring those inadequacies…???
Then go right ahead using the NS10's and recommending them to people.

My Mackie 824's do not suffer from those inadequacies...

And you know what…that whole “myth” about NS10s...is just that.
Sure…a LOT of people used them at one time…but almost everyone that used them …HATED THEM!!!
Making your ears-bleed with a set of crappy monitors ain’t what mixing is about…regardless if your mixes end up sounding good on them!
Heck…I would rather enjoy my mix session than sit there and cringe just ‘cuz I’m still stuck on some myth from the 80’s about NS10’s…..

Look…use what you want and I’ll use what I want…but if you are going to show up on these threads and trash Mackie 824’s every time they are mentioned (which you’ve done many times in the past)…then be prepared to have you NS10’s trashed too. thu

#2052427 - 03/11/09 07:35 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

#2052483 - 03/11/09 09:17 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

I said it was a dead horse three posts ago...

#2052895 - 03/12/09 07:55 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

In case you missed it, you'll also see them in the latest March 2009 issue of Mix Magazine on the following pages:

Of course let's not forget the previously mentioned page 20.

So, that would be 8 different studios or advertisement (remember the NS-10 is not available retail new, only used, and has been for several years, so there's no marketing involved for the NS-10 in this ad) in the most prominent of industry audio magazines.

Now, lets check the pages with the 824 in it:

3 (Under the NS-10's.)
41 (Hard to tell, the NS10 so overshadows what is next to it but that might be an 824.)
87 (In an advertisement marketing them, not really fair to count this, but we will anyway.)

So, lets do the math, 8 pages showing the NS-10 (twice on one page, but since it's the same studio, we will only count it once) verses maybe 3, including one advertisement for the 824.

Need some help getting that foot out of your mouth, Miro?
wave

#2052966 - 03/12/09 10:21 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

What happened to the dead horse....did you give it mouth-to-mouth...??? wink

Like I said...the only people that make audio gear purchasing decisions based on magazine advertisements...are newbies.
I thought you knew better than that....? smile

Unlike you...I get my "audio proof" from my ears, not my eyes.
I guess those nasty/harsh NS10's musta' really killed off a lot of your hearing ability.

wave

#2052991 - 03/12/09 11:21 AM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: miroslav
Like I said...the only people that make audio gear purchasing decisions based on magazine advertisements...are newbies.
I thought you knew better than that....? smile

Here's a little more help with that foot in your mouth, and a bit more education to aid your ignorance.

NS-10's have been discontinued for about a decade now, so none of the pictured ones in the most recent issue of Mix magazine are advertisements for the NS-10, only testaments of their wide use and dominance in the industry. Conversely, there are NO studios pictured with 824's, and the only references to them are in one ad from Sweetwater, who are themselves a joke, one that uses it as a background image (with the NS-10's clearly and prominantly displayed), and maybe one partial shot (perhaps they really didn't want them in the shot so they cropped it but notice how clearly the NS-10's are visible) for Five Towns College.

So that would make you the one buying into the advertising now, wouldn't it?

So, if you wish to continue to buy into the advertisements of the 824's go for it, but you're thought process has been proven quite wrong, whether you have the humility to admit it or not.

Engineers, world class engineers, Grammy winning engineers, rely on the NS-10 still, because it is the standard of the industry that mixes are still judged on for their ability to translate across the mediums of the real world, and that is what matters. Colleges and universities teaching the art of audio engineering still train on the NS-10's, and they are found in every top studio in the world, more than all other monitors combined.

So, continue to live in your bubble with your foot in your mouth, it seems to suit you. Well now it appears you have both feet in your mouth actually, doesn't it?

The dead horse here is, once again, you.

#2053069 - 03/12/09 01:13 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Naaaa...you can STILL find/buy those pieces of crap....look around.
And it’s STILL just advertising fluff!!!

You don't think all those studio shots aren't "posed" specifically for the magazine ads...and that Yamaha STILL gets something out of their name being promoted...?
C'mon now...don't be so naive...

Also...whatever is posed in a magazine picture for "brand recognition" purposes...probably isn’t what the engineers really use these days for work purposes....they often are two different things. But hey, everybody wants to make a buck off of advertisements….so people will endorse anything if you pay them enough.
I suppose you also believe that all those products that big name stars endorse are really used by them?!?!?! laugh

Just let it go….you got no bones here….and stop trying to resurrect the dead horse just so’s you can keep arguing! rolleyes
We all know that game….you’ve played it many times around here with just about every member that’s ever disagreed with you.

Like I said...you use what you want and I'll use what I want.
Don't trash my monitor choices...and I won't trash yours.

Hey…and when you gonna’ put up some of those great NS10 mixes you’ve been bragging about for the last few years so we can hear them…?
Or how about your website link…showing us all those top clients you always refer to…???
Come on….give us something instead of just cheap talk and a forum handle. thu

Later......... wave

#2053089 - 03/12/09 02:00 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

Now you're just making up sh*t in a vain attempt to cover your (dead) horses arse.

NS-10's have been out of production, and unavailable new retail for many, many years, and everyone knows it. Show us one link where we can buy brand new NS-10's retail. You might get extremely lucky and find a few pairs that someone hoarded and are now selling (for a fortune) private sale, but not new retail. I was one of them, and recently sold a new in box pair of NS-10M's for $1000 to a rather famous musician in LA, who bought them (via internet) while he was on tour in Europe. I've seen a few pairs like that around, and they always go for big money. Used NS-10's in decent condition are worth more than they sold for new.

Of the 8 pictures in the March 2009 Mix, only 2 are ads, and neither are for NS-10's obviously, since, as we have already discussed, they are not avaible new retail.

One, as previously stated, is for B&H Pro Audio. Call them and see if they will sell you a new set of NS-10's, I can just imagine the laughter.

You should however give a place like Five Towns (the other ad photo I referred to, and I'm quite sure they also will not be selling you a new pair of NS-10's) a call and sign yourself up for their most basic audio courses, because it's more obvious with every post you don't know the first thing about pro audio. Maybe you can get the ignoramus discount... freak

The remaining 6 photos are session photos, all that are very high level, respected studios: Infrasonic (Los Angeles) Doppler Studios (Atlanta), StaduimRed (NYC, until recently owned by Jazz legend Ornette Coleman), Sound City (Los Angeles, recent clientele being Tom Petty, Ry Cooder, who is actually in the picture, Metallica, Weezer, NIN, Elvis Costello and Mavis Staples), and the Austin City Limits production mix room, with AD David Hough and AS Sharon Cutlen in the shot.

If you read the magazine, you would see it's quite obvious that none of these shots are posed, and none are advertisements for anything.

If you actually read (or for that matter weren't ignorant of) Mix, you'd know just how stupid you look right now. It's far beyond ignorance at this point, no one can be that ignorant.

I have already given ample proof you are ignorant of the industry's view of the NS10's, while you have given nothing but a load of your (dead) horses manure.

You really are looking like a (dead) horses arse, as now you've put 3 feet in your mouth. One more to go....

#2053103 - 03/12/09 02:33 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

bor

Still waiting to hear your stellar NS10 mixes....and the website link to your pro client list....

Let's see who's making up sh*t.

#2053117 - 03/12/09 03:18 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

You are, that we have established. This tread isn't about my mixes or clients, it's about the NS-10 being the still dominant industry standard, or has your ignorance allowed you to conveniently forget that?

I proved you wrong multiple times with examples from the most recent issue of Mix magazine in response to your post asking if I was seeing the NS-10's pictures in issues 15 years ago.

Originally Posted By: miroslav
What are you reading...15-year-old back issues...???!!!

laugh

NS10s were obsolete back in the early 90s.

In both cases, I proved you wrong with multiple examples, accept it like a man, don't lie and make up false information to suit your ignorant and childish point of view.

IOW, man the fuck up, and shut the fuck up.

#2053126 - 03/12/09 03:38 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

In this thread the OP was talking about getting better mixes and getting better monitors instead of the NS10's...which he already has and already admits that his ears can't take anymore.

But all you want to do is to argue about magazine pictures! laugh
The proof is in the mixes….NOT pictures!

And…since you threw out the first shot by saying:

Quote:
Do your mixes a favor and throw them away if you mixed them on those Mackies…

Then c’mon…let's hear your pro NS10 mixes and all the pro clients you've mixed for on those NS10's in your pro studio.

Otherwise…if you can't put up any of those things...
....then maybe just put up some pictures of your NS10's..... wink

I'm done here.
You got nothin'...and as always, you just argue for argument's sake.

#2053131 - 03/12/09 04:03 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

Good, since you now have all 4 feet in your mouth. You've shown this sic side of yourself here before, and here it comes again. You refuse to admit being wrong, despite a multitude of evidence proving you so, again.

Get some help. Abandon whatever "career" you think you have, and work on your personal issues, which are blatantly obvious. Come back when you are mentally healthy to engage in conversations that are not always about you being right even when you are not, such as this one.

More mixes, more multi-platinum selling, grammy winning songs have been mixed on NS-10's than all other monitors combined. They are, have been for 2 decades, and will continue to be, the industry standard. The Mackie 824 is not even in the same league, but far below it. Genelec and JBL have a far greater market share.

Bottom line: You are wrong, and have been proved so, so man the fuck up and do what you said, and be "done here".

#2053132 - 03/12/09 04:12 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

OK...so I guess we are not going to get to hear any of your NS10 mixes.
And no website links to your pro studio or your pro clients.
And not even pictures of your NS10s! frown

Bummer...that's so dissapointing...but then not at all surprising.

You've done nothing but talk the talk around here for a long time now.
I figured maybe just once in all this time you might put up.

No?

Then just shut up. thu

#2053135 - 03/12/09 04:38 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: miroslav]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

Stop embarrassing yourself, Miro. the discussion has nothing to do with anyones mixes, but the industry standard NS-10's, and you're being in denial of them being the industry standard, despite the massive amount of proof being shown you.

Do you even know what Mix Magazine is? Have you bothered to look at this month's issue?

Inquiring minds want you to stop making such an ass of yourself, and get some help.

#2053194 - 03/12/09 07:10 PM Re: Your nearfield preferences (NS10 user here) [Re: audiorulez]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Originally Posted By: audiorulez
... the discussion has nothing to do with anyones mixes

Ahhh....you're the one that brought up mixes when you said:

Quote:
Do your mixes a favor and throw them away if you mixed them on those Mackies…

But you are still all talk...and nothing to show (except pictures in magazines). grin

I guess that says it all.

I kinda' figured you would come up short....

Moderator:  BrianK, J.J. Blair