Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2044968 - 02/18/09 05:09 PM Blu-Ray Audio Only release format?
John Bailey Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON Canada
Hi folks,

I've been poking around and can't seem to find a whole lot of information on whether or not it's in the works?

I've been mixing a TON of records lately where I've done a simultaneous 5.1 and Stereo, just because I really enjoy the surround mixes and for no other reason than to archive them for future bonus-content releases.

At present, the only way I can take mixes out of the building is to SRC to 48kHz, encode into AC3 with 'Compressor' and then burn DVD-V with a black video slug.

I've avoided the MLP/DVD-A thing thus far because all of these titles so far have been released via the standard Audio CD/iTunes distribution routes, and I haven't needed to prepare or author any surround titles thus far, other than music for TV/film (48kHz WAV deliverables).

Blu-Ray burners are now down in the $250CDN range, and blanks are about $10.

Is there any software that will allow me to create a Blu-Ray ref with 24bit-96kHz PCM audio? Can I do this with Final Cut Studio?

Happy surround mixing everyone...

Cheers,
JB

http://johnbeetlebailey.com
http://thedriveshed.com

#2045083 - 02/19/09 06:59 AM Re: Blu-Ray Audio Only release format? [Re: John Bailey]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Good question.

I imagine the issue here is that it's such an enormous waste of space on a Blu-Ray disc. Even 7.1 uncompressed doesn't even put a dent in the 20 gigs or so you can put on one of those.

#2049899 - 03/03/09 05:21 PM Re: Blu-Ray Audio Only release format? [Re: Griffinator]
John Bailey Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON Canada
Well, space be damned, I just want a format that I can mix for.

Can we create black-only Blu-Ray video disks with 96K-24bit surround audio? I was hoping somebody who knows something about the current state of the authoring world would chime in...

Neil?

Cheers,
JB

#2049923 - 03/03/09 07:15 PM Re: Blu-Ray Audio Only release format? [Re: John Bailey]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
I'm sure you can, although I'm not sure there's a surround preamplifier that can decode the feed.

#2080033 - 05/29/09 10:38 AM Re: Blu-Ray Audio Only release format? [Re: Griffinator]
synthetic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Can you burn a DVD with DTS-HD Audio and video black? That would play on a BluRay player, right? Then you would get 5.1 uncompressed audio 96/24. I haven't tried this, I don't have the encoding tools.