Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Red wines...what do you recomend?

I know this is very off topic, but I don't feel like going out and finding another forum... Keeping in the $30 dollars or less at a wine shop, not a resturaunt, what winerys and/or types do you usually go for? I like Morlot, Burgungy, and Pinot Nior, but I would like to expand my tastes. Any suggestions?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
some of my favs: Kendall Jackson Cab (Santa Rosa, Nor Cal) Chatom vineyards Sangiovese (Vallecito, Nor Cal) Black Sheep Cab (Murphys, Nor Cal) Stevenot Shiraz/pinot noir (also in Murphys) Caneros creek Cab (Napa?, somewhere in the bay area i think) all of these are in the $15-$35 range and there is always the Franzia 'wine in a box' :D
0096 2251 2110 8105

Chateau Saint Michelle, in Washington State, makes fantastic wines, all reasonably priced. Sterling Vineyards Cabernet Sauvingon is a classic California red that's easily as good as anything from France in it's price range (approx. $20US). Life is too short to drink bad wine. Go ahead and spend a few extra pennies. E :)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

These are all Napa/Sonoma wines. Beaulieu Vineyards (BV) makes very nice Cabernets and Zinfendels for around $20/bottle. I am also fond of Ravenswood (Sonoma) Zinfendels. Ferrari Cerano (Santa Rosa) makes a very nice Merlot. I'll second Curve on the Stirling (Napa) Cabernet. I also like Cline's (Sonoma) Merlots. Don.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

IMHO, the cab blends are the way to go in the $30 range. do a little homework on the names of the people who make the blends. the shiraz's are getting lots of talk lately.

jnorman

sunridge studios

salem, oregon

I believe the best deals in reds right now are from Chile, Argentina, and especially Australia (the Shiraz's are my favorites). Also note that Wine Spectator magazine's annual "100 best of 2001" issue is on the stands right now, and there are a surprising number on the list in your (our!) price range!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

i just had a killer Mondavi Pinot Noir the other day, even though i generally go for Merlot... i should also mention, though, that i'm often happy with the El Cheapo offerings at Trader Joe's...maybe i just don't know better... yes, edited by me you stupid fucking ubb... [ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Rader Ranch ]

I rarely drink wine (had a bad experience with a bottle of 'Mad-Dog 20/20' years ago) :( The wife drinks Riunite 'Blush', it's inexpensive and tastes pretty good, about $12/bottle.
In two days, it won't matter.

I just came back from a trip to San Francisco with a day trip to the Napa Valley. So many wines, so little time... Among the best under $10 reds are from Rosemount Estates of Australia. Try their Granache/Shiraz (excellent with a slight chill) and their Cab/Shiraz blends. Their straight Shiraz is also a fine value. A great value in California reds is from Bonny Doon. It's called Le Cigare Volant, a big Rhone style red. Should sell for just under $30. Randall Graham is my favorite California vintner - I've haven't met a Bonny Doon wine I didn't like (also their second label, Ca 'de Sol). Just sampled about 10 of his wines at their tasting room near Santa Cruz...brought back a case and a half (also joined their subscription service). Many of George Duboeuf's beaujolais are excellent, especially the Morgon, the Moulin-a-Vent, and the Brouilly. Fruity, no tannins, drink slightly chilled. For a nice Pinot Noir, look to Oregon, like Adelsheim.

be prepared to freak-out....... this is great spainish wine and CHEAP: borsao campo de borja 2000 been written up in all the wine mags now so it isn't as cheap as it was 6 months ago, about $5.99 / bottle now for a world class spainish rioja, monte real reserva 98 about $19/ bottle as good as the best chatenuf de pape for 1/2 the $$
theo

I just got back from a cruise and discovered my favorite Cabernet savignon, Yellow label from austrailia. I believe the name is Blass. Try the web and let me know if you find it. I found the company. It is Wolf Blass in Australia. Yellow label. Later all. [url=http://www.prometheus-design.com]www.prometheus-design.com[/url] [ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: www.prometheus-design.com ]

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]I rarely drink wine (had a bad experience with a bottle of 'Mad-Dog 20/20' years ago) :( The wife drinks Riunite 'Blush', it's inexpensive and tastes pretty good, about $12/bottle.[/b][/quote] Whoo, I had that same 'Mad-Dog' experience round about 1973, never go there again... I actually like the Carlo Rossi Burgundy. It's veno del casa at a bunch of places and tastes quite good for cheap.

[quote]Originally posted by John Sayers: [b]As an aussie I'd have to say we make the best wine in the world :) [/b][/quote] Well, mate, although you have some great Chardonnays over there Down Under, I'd have to debate you a little that the best Cabernets, Merlots and Pinot Noirs come from my home state of California...about a seven-hour drive (or one hour flight) north of me in the Napa Valley. If anyone ever gets an opportunity to go on a wine-tasting journey through Napa, DO IT! It's so damn cool I can't even tell you. - Jeff

I'll drink any cheap French wine as long as I can do it in Paris. Oops, that was 1969. Sigh. Beaujolais is a seasonal treat. Flamers, light your torches - I really like Gallo Hearty Burgundy. FWIW Consumer Reports tested Chardonnays (not red) and rated Chateau Souverain Sonoma County 1999 ($14) way above the others tested. A Votre Sante' Henri

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I second the Rosemount Estates vote. Try this: Vega Sindoa Cabernet/Tempranillo blend. Amazing for the 9 bucks it will cost you. Really good "evereyday" wine. BTGW, I heard awhile aga to stay away from Chilean wines because of lead in the water. Anyone know about this. I like lead in my pencil, not in my water. Bruce

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]...The wife drinks Riunite 'Blush', it's inexpensive and tastes pretty good, about $12/bottle.[/b][/quote] I rarely drink wine these days, but my doctor says one glass a day will help my cholesterol/triglycerides, so... I'm not up on wines, and usually order "house red", unless they ask for more info, in which case I say "Chianti" (hey - I'm Italian). Maybe I'll print this and give something a go. In the meantime, I stopped in a store the other day, and harkening back to yesteryear (the mid 70's), I bought Reunite Lambrusco. Certainly not high on the list of any wine lover, but I've been enjoying that one glass a night very much. Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Since coming to Japan I have become an absolute sake nut, but the Katsunuma area of Yamanashi prefecture makes some excellent wines. There`s a Turkish wine called Kalecik Karasi that`s supposed to be world-class-but may be hard to find. There`s a wine from South Africa where the estate is entirely Black-owned. You may be able to order online at www1.neweb.ne.jp/wb/mercy. Haven`t checked it myself yet so not sure.

You have to try some Penfolds, really dosent matter what kind. Aussies do make some awesome red wines. My fav is the Penfolds cab sav/shiraz mix- yum! Under 20 bucks too. You dont need to spend more than 30 bucks to get a great wine.
To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks." -Jack Handy

Ok, how about some info for a completely ignorant non-drinker: besides choosing the right color for the right dinner (match the meat, right?), what else is there? I can't stand "cheap" wine; it seems when I've had "expensive" (>$30) I like it. Outside of certain champagne, it seems like every wine I've every tried tastes like "mildly grape flavored alchohol". Or is that the point? How does one figure out the differences, and how drastic is it? It seems like some are closer than others, but in general they're all skunky up to that price point. Or does this just mean once again my tastes are more expensive than my wallet? I mean, people seem to be soooo enamored with it, but the acidic tang is just annoying to me like orange juice/lemonade. Is the acidity supposed to be there? Does that go away as the wine becomes "nicer", or is that just an aspect?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Chateau de Gaillat (Graves) Chatons du Cèdres (Cahors) Chateau Cruzeau (Cabernet S.) Yellow Label (Cabernet from Australia) Chateau Reysson (Haut-Médoc) Chateau Meyre (Haut-Médoc) With French wine, if you buy something with "Cru Bourgeois" written on the label, you will get a better wine than average by at least one notch.(or two) Graves, Médoc, St-Julien, Cabernet Sauvignon are great! IMHO [ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Marso ]

Archived