Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT- Lack Of Xmas Cheer?

Some might say it's a bit early to tell, but remind yourselves that I live in Decadent Capitalist America, Inc.

I seem to be sensing (at least in my circle of interaction) that X-mas is going to be much smaller and much more low-key than any previous year. I see less decorations out, less enthusiasm. I've gone to a few malls just to look around, and though there are people there, they aren't packed like i expected. Many people talk of just having a dinner and exchanging one or two gifts among family. By this time last year our office was buried in cards and boxes of nuts, chocolate, fruit ect. We've gotten one card to date.

It's not entirely a money/economy thing, either. Some folks i know that are doing quite well are expressing the same lack of excitement.

This offsets the recent new (disturbing) fad i've seen- decorations and gift giving for Thanksgiving.

Could it be that we (the decadent U.S.) are finally tired of all the insanity, hype and expectations of X-mas?

Does anyone else see this around the country, or even around the globe?

Disclaimer: i say "X-mas" instead of "Christmas" because anyone worth their salt would know that the most driving motive of this holiday is more commercial than theological. :wave:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I'm looking forward to the holidays, this year is going to be the first time ever that I haven't been home to my parents' place for Christmas. I'm a bit disappointed, but there's no avoiding it. Schedules couldn't align and whatnot. So, yeah, I don't get to spend any time with my immediate family and that's got me somewhat bummed (it's my favorite part of Christmas). But at least I have extended family members in town that I can visit!

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I watched "A Charlie Brown Christmas" for the first time in years last night. And, for some strange reason, I felt something, a nice warm vibe, that I haven't felt in years. It was good. I want more.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I haven't been this low about crimbo before and I guess its the move and everything what with the new kitchen and bathroom being fitted today and all the decorators there that i cant think of crimbo in the same light as i have done before because i know i have to pack and move the week after xmas.

I promised myself that i will try my best to get into the spirit when i go and buy all the gifts but somehow I feel not that excited about it this time around....

For me, Tedster, it'll be the original Chuck Jones "Grinch" cartoon. I missed it last year - threw me off my groove. Until I see it, it simply won't be Christmas-y.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

phaeton,

The holidays are what you make them. It all comes from the inside.

Stop thinking about the advertisements and the commercials and that crummy side of the holidays. It's all around you. You have to make an effort to tune it out. It's up to you (and me, and everybody else) to turn away from the tacky, gawdy, ugly side of the holidays and focus on what's good.

Do something for someone less fortunate than yourself. That's good.

Participate in making others happy during the holidays by performing your music, and/or holiday music whenever you can. That's good too.

Think of ways that you can influence the KIDS around you to promote good feelings about the holidays, your religion, and the feeling of love and brotherhood at this time of year.

My point is that it's all what you make it. You are old enough and smart enough to understand that, for many people, you are a role model. It's your obligation (and mine, as well as others) to put into this holiday season what you would like to get out of it. Don't look at the lack of holiday lights and decorations as signs that people don't care. People are busy with their daily lives. And many are carrying a heavy load of problems that you'll never know about. For many folks, putting up decorations is pretty far down their 'TO DO' list.

I always thought the term "Go out and MAKE it a great day!" was a bit over the top. But I'm convinced that if you project a positive attitude about the holiday season, people will see it in your face and mirror that attitude.

Stop overanalyzing and get yourself started by helping to make someone else's holiday a happy one. I can guarantee that if you do, it will all come back to you. :)

Happy Holidays, phaeton - and everyone on the forums.

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Gas-

That is an excellent post, i must say. It's also along the lines of what i was saying, or at least trying to say...

People seem to be going back to basics here- focusing on the things that really matter (spending time with family), and ignoring all the flash and other crap that has been at the forefront for much too long.

I like this change.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Archived