Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#2549816 - 12/08/13 11:44 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

Loc: West Mids, UK
I am actually making progress.
19 down, and a dozen more to go - or so..
I found a few more places to add the odd trap or two smile

& then I have the dubious pleasure of a fair few metres of finishing trim to make again, oh what joy - not!

#2550074 - 12/09/13 11:12 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Wow, really nice Steve.

--Ethan

#2555310 - 12/27/13 09:25 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Steve2701 Offline

Another quick update on what's happening..
I finished off making the traps, and put them all into place, some needing tempoary help in staying put.
Had a quick count, & got to 91 - all made and covered.
Thats rather more than I expected.
One more to go - that will split in two and pivot into place over my office door. Well. at least that's the current plan smile

Had notice a friend wanted to come and visit & have a play with the new streamer.
That's fun, as the network is not in place in my office yet, so everything stops and the network gets installed.
This means pulling my system and room apart, making a right old mess, then re-assembly, test, and see if I can actually stream smile
at least I had put all the cables ready - I just needed to drill a big hole in my wall to start, not something I took lightly, having sealed it so well to start with.

Made some room on my bench (ie - put away a whole bunch of cd's and vinyl) for a 'ripping station',

Then hoovered, cleaned and re-assembled the whole setup - that was a day gone!

#2555318 - 12/27/13 09:49 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

Then it was back to my current passtime - making trim.
While it's reasonably easy to paint entire pieces of 10mm thick MDF - cutting it then marks it in most instances, and then the most fun in life - painting the bare edges that can be seen.
Each edge usually needs at lest 3 or 4 coats before I'm ok with what it looks like.
Anyways, it's rapidly now approaching full readiness. A bit more to make, pin holes to fill, sand and touch up.

Finally decided just what to do with where the HVAC is going - more on that in the next update.
For now - this is where we are.

#2555331 - 12/27/13 10:22 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
MP Hall of Fame Member

With 91 traps you have me beat. thu I have "only" 55 in my living room, though I have another 50+ in my upstairs studio.

--Ethan

#2560648 - 01/12/14 11:32 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Steve2701 Offline

A further update - split into two parts as they are as usual photo-centric.
While the room is 99.5% completed now, and actually used as an office, I do need to finalise the last % so that it can be fully used..
So, trim, trim & yet more - trim.
21/2 sheets of 9mm mdf, 5 litres of paint and finally, it's all up & finished.
I really should have used another method, but it does look ok to me, and form does follow function here - ther was no option.
So, each piece cut to size, pinned into place,

Then pin holes filled, card placed in all corners & sides, and then covered in paper tp protect the material. These have already been pre painted, often 4 coats, so this is all additional work just to fill the holes and make good joints.

The ''fireplace'' as such also needed sorting.
The plan was a nice feature oak design.
Every single piece of oak I have was the wrong length in any given direction, so that idea soon came to an end.
I did have a bunch of 'off cuts' of MDF, my old step into the office, the floor from Pats office & some lengths of wortop back that had been trimmed off to size the work area.
Out with the router, and a few horurs later, thirteen bits of spare timber were in use..

This will now continue in the next post..

#2560650 - 01/12/14 11:45 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

The continuation of the fireplace making..
The top trim to support the shelf placed to the wall

Another off cut pressed into use as a pattern for some dowel holes to stop the shelf from toppling.

I should point out that the entire centre section has been made so that it can be totally removed, to allow for drilling to the outer wall which will be needed for the heat exchanger.
One thing has become patently obvious.
It is only going to need air con cooling - absolutely no heating is needed in this room.

Now for the door casing to my office, not the easiest of jobs.
While the first reflection traps appear to be 2" thick, they are in effect also bass traps being some 12" tick in actuality.

#2560651 - 01/12/14 11:49 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

And finished of the day looking like this - just the trim round the door to do, lay the carpet tiles and fit the main office door..

#2609182 - 07/07/14 03:41 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

It did finally get finished - honest smile
Time has since gone to that place where it goes, and I never got around to showing the finishing off of the rest of the room.
So, putting that to rights - this is now what it looks like and a few pictures of how it got there..

[/URL]

Those hinged traps that cover the entrance to my office have a far greater impact on imaging and general good sound to the room than I honestly thought they would, but being right at the side of the listening seat - I guess it's as it should be.
As a complete room, to begin with it was a livelier place than my office, but never bright or 'in your face'. I have put this down to the physical facing of the room to be more reflective than mine, albeit there is a roughly % same coverage in traps.
This has again slowly evolved with addition of a fair few 'picture' traps that I have been making from artwork that I had.
The mass of "network" cables in the picture below does serve a purpose, as some of my clients want to know just how and what is needed for a network music streaming setup, so this is it condensed into one small area instead of spread over a couple of rooms which is more usual.

This is as it is now - no doubt more pictures will find their way onto the walls shortly smile

Then I added a further 9 / 10 picture traps to the front wall of my own office, and once again we notice an improvement to imaging and overall sound quality.
I guess that is down to the fact that almost the entire wall is now covered in the equivalent of FRK in 5" - 6". It is only when those final bits go into place that his seems to happen though. Not a huge effect, but nice non the less.

So I guess, at least for now - it's done.
I will inevitably fill what gaps are left in both rooms with more traps as artwork, as and when it becomes available, currently another 9 are in process..

I should say once again a huge thank you to Ethan for the guidance given and prods to move me in the right direction when needed.

Cheers for now.

Steve.

Edited by Steve2701 (07/07/14 04:12 AM)

#2609289 - 07/07/14 11:34 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Holy cow, that's truly awesome Steve. This has been a huge project for you! thu

--Ethan

#2773852 - 04/19/16 12:20 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Steve2701 Offline

It's been a bit of a while, and a few things have happened, but I have decided it's time for part III smile
The next project has to be the last for me in my current premises, as it will mean I have totally run out of space to do any more.
This room will end up being a total of 11m long and 5.5m wide, and actually slightly higher than my first room - which is still my office to this day.
Easily the biggest yet.
I started (without realising it) about a year ago, when we needed access to the roof void above the two rooms already completed, along with a new, rather nicer, toilet area.
That got finished a few months back, and I had even then added loads of 'bass traps' as a 'just in case'
The next year or so could prove interesting.
We needed a new roof on the building (part one completed, part two about to happen)
This allows total cleaning of the loft void, sealing to the adjacent units, and a new overall ceiling made..
Pictures will follow soon.
It's nice to be back again smile

#2774075 - 04/20/16 02:05 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
MP Hall of Fame Member

For various reasons I've moved my forum to a new home:

Ethan's Audio Expert Forum

This forum here will probably (hopefully) not go away soon, so you're welcome to link back to this thread from the new thread you start at my new place.

--Ethan

#2792373 - 07/24/16 12:30 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Steve2701 Offline

I tried hard over in the new place Ethan, but it was inferred that build logs were of no use to other members, so I'm currently looking for somewhere else - if anyone knows where part III may be found useful by other folks please let me know.

Thanks.
Steve.

#2792675 - 07/25/16 01:37 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
MP Hall of Fame Member

You're welcome to post a build log at my other forum. The only other place I can think of is Gearslutz. There's a lot of that there. They even have an entire subsection for that.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Ethan Winer