Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2066293 - 04/19/09 07:36 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Steve2701 Offline

Loc: West Mids, UK
So the last couple of days has seen me playing with lots and lots of connectors and a fair few wires:-
This is just lighting distribution, after it's been dimmed/controlled from the main board!

But the room is now truly coming into shape

Plans almost complete for those rear wall traps and the first reflection points - that is going to be wallet emptying if I go for the 12" (2x6") rockwool option... boy, that stuff aint cheap!

#2068021 - 04/24/09 09:59 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

Not so much apparent progress this week as lots of tiny things sorted, as well as running the main businesses, but some interesting plans are now set in stone.

The first reflection points on this wall plus its facing one are going to be 6 traps (three each side) 1.2m high by 600mm wide. 4" solid rs100 (705 equavalent) - but they need to be movable along the wall due to various speakers / positions being in use. This will be achieved by making up some 2.4m runners out of 25mm thick MDF for the top, and some fixing panels along the bottom. Pictures of this will help to explain:-

Note te 45' angle cut into the upper runner.
When set in place it will become clear - I hope.

Started to knock together the oak window frame - opposite which is going to be a matching diffusor board as per Ethans plans on here. Bendy MDF is going to be usefull here I think - way easier to use than 1/4 ply.

My wood supply is now much depleted and needs a restock to make all the final traps - 6 for the side reflections and 4 for the rear refection free zone.

Put the HVAC unit into place to mark the piping and ductwork.
tomorrow is going to be interesting as I have to cu a 90mm hole through 31" of solid victorian brickwork. Diamond core drill sorted, pain killers for the tennis elbow already to go...

& I just discovered that we didnt put in any wiring for the HVAC control unit (I didnt know we were getting a programmer unit with it). Some headscratcing going on as I don't want visible wiring to it at all - everything else is hidden so far. I have a feeling holes and string are to be needed, and a few mice?

One good thing about this model is it a 'heat pump' so as well as cooling (air con) it can act as a heater (aircon in reverse) so for every 1Kw I put in I get three out on cool & 5 out(!) on heating. It also runs very quietly at 22db. Its on a seperate phase to everything else so it aint going to upset the mains either!

Hope to be back over the weekend with another update.

#2068028 - 04/24/09 10:10 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Looking good!

#2068365 - 04/25/09 12:26 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Steve2701 Offline

So the day started with a job I will admit to having been put off several times due to the fact I knew it was going to be a right 'pig' to do. Drilling a 90mm hole through the walls was never going to be pleasant.
So to the hire shop to collect all the gubbins - huge drill, diamond core, extension piece, transformer, water pump...To drill through the aircrete block took all of twenty seconds - with plenty of dust...
The air gap took considerably less.
Then, an hour of patient drilling (this thing is heavy and needs full support at a 3 degree downward angle (to allow water condensate drainage) along with a lot of help from my brother in law - produced a near perfect result. Didnt even wreck the outside render, just cut through it.
Looks like nothing in the photo.

Then on to getting that 'other wire' into place as well. Some heavy bolts, gravity and a lot of string did the trick! (no mice this time)

Then on with the next big one for the day - starting to put up the support for the side traps. 1" thick MDF is very heavy - an 8 x 4 sheet is not something to move by youself - let alone saw up

This is just 2.4m x 150mm and being held precariously in place by a sigle 3" screw ready for marking for ten frame ties.

Then the tie holes were pilot drilled, whole thing taken down, correct size holes drilled, anchors inserted, then back up it goes to have the ten huge screws put into place. The screwdriver for these is so big it is turned with a 15mm open ended spanner!

Holes then filled and ready for rubbing down.

Then finished off the window frame, started on the blinding of the door lintel, and tidied up the light switch.

Yes, this corner is going to get more trapping in to it - in a while.

Time for lunch...

#2068371 - 04/25/09 12:41 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

The job for the afternoon was something I have actually been looking forward to starting. The Diffusor panel for opposite the window.
Bendy MDF anyone?

It's secret revealed:-

Whilest it is fun to do, it is a swine to work with, as it just wont stop still! Trying to cut it on the table saw by myself was hilarious. Yes, realy hilarious. It was so much fun I decided to do it again, and again...

So the diffusor starts to take shape:- Ok so not exactly the shape I wanted,

So in goes a centre support panel.

That centre piece is 8" high - it had better be right as it aint coming out...

And after finally getting it (about) right (without a huge amount of maths and 3.142 stuff the measurements were never going to be perfect with this stuff) trying to get it to stay still for fixing / gluing? Ever tried to work with wood that wants to be jelly?

Thats one side glued up, the other can wait for tomorrow, then it can be primed ready for an interseting paint finish I have in mind.
We will see.

PS - I do need to apologies for the mixed measuring system I seem to be using. Two things here. I was one of those kids who went to school when 'metrication' was introduced (anyone else remember that?) So I do actually use both in my working life, depending on just what i'm up to. I am also aware that you folk over the pond still use imperial, so I do try and slip into that when I can. Just 90mm doesn't have a nice equivalent. Hope you dont get to confused.

#2068548 - 04/26/09 08:44 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

A couple of more hours today saw a few things happen.
First off, after so much yesterday, I decided I needed to use that tool that no self respecting DIY person should be without in his garage - the fork lift truck.

This raised the diffusor panel to a height that saved my back and kness no end.

Panel taking shape nicely, and being sealed with white paint for starters.

Then sanded the trap holder and painted that so it looks like it grew there..

Then on with the decorative paint for the panel.

The rest of the day was taken with having a good clear up, dust removal and tool finding expedition having put so many down just where I cant find them again (age?)

Started to line whats left to do with oak, and put some skirting round the room.

Thats it for now - need some wine and food - in that order!

#2068561 - 04/26/09 09:19 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wow, this is all really great Steve! Thanks for going to all the trouble to document and photograph your progress here. thu

--Ethan

#2068776 - 04/27/09 03:57 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Ethan Winer]
andrep Offline

hallo,

writing from Portugal.my first post here after sometime reading the various threads. Great forum and special greetings to Ethan Winer for sharing his knowledge.

have one question about the type of vertical corner basstraps built by Steve2701.

My question regards comparing these with the simple ones made with a fiberglass or rockwool panel across the corner.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type and what to pay attention to when building the same type Steve2701 built. This type is less documented in the www.

thanx, all the best

#2068791 - 04/27/09 05:46 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: andrep]
Steve2701 Offline

Hi Andrep,
I doubt there will be a whole heap of difference between the two - I just took 'the easy route' and built square ones and filled them solid - as per photos.
It was for me much easier to do (and I had the space to do it in) as it seemed to be a lot of hassle cutting timber to 45degree angles to keep it all looking / faced the same where the rockwoll meets the wall. Mine are 750mm (18")square and 9feet (3m) tall, so thats a a fair bit of rockwool in the corner.
From what I've gathered from here the total amount of the corner and its volume is the more important issue.
It was also very important to me to have the best finish I could obtain in the room, this is what I ended up with.
I will post some more photos of the totally finished item later this week when some mor finishing timber is delivered!

#2068946 - 04/27/09 02:08 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

Staying over for a couple of hours after work saw a mock up of the hanging first reflection points traps being made

I have designed these to be movable but firmly fixed when in place. An 8mm handwheel nut will hold them in place at the bottom, while the top opposing 45 degree angles seem to work rather well and look fairly neat.
A small amount of 25mm at the bottom acts as a standoff and resting place for the bottom of the trap.

This mock up will allow for precise layout of the bottom runner / support.

An hour or so to spare so one of the front bass traps decides to become covered in oak -

Bare to start:-

Oak ready for cutting up - looks criminal to cut this up

Mdf demands serious dust extraction and air filtration - great stuff - but dust not exactly so.

First of many cuts

& nearly a whole sheet later

& A little bit of skirting to finish

Tomorrow will see the thin edges finished and the centre 'trunk' being made to look smarter..

Then oak angle hides all the exposed edges.

#2069005 - 04/27/09 07:07 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Frank2 Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
that is all looking good! bravo!

#2072355 - 05/07/09 01:44 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Frank2]
Steve2701 Offline

Its been a good few days since I was able to get back into the room to press on, a big trade show saw us working on stock for it, going to it and then putting everything away after the event..

So, a few evenings late at work saw the side wall diffusor (for opposite the window) finally looking like it's almost ready

& the front corner bass traps took on a waist each and were lined with finishing oak panells (this takes forever - lining up grain and trying to make everything look right is not something that can be done in a hurry and got right.

Two hours on each side equalls a finish that I am happy with.

Then we found time later this afternoon to finally get the diffusor into it's new home and fully finished. This was not a job for the feint hearted!

It doesn't look that big now it's in place, but it is nearly 6' tall and 4' wide. It was not exactly a light object either.

The next week will see frenetic work going on as the room simply must be finished by the end of May - new toys arrive in a few weeks time, and work is set to go crazy mid way through June.
Only a dozen or so traps to be built and all the final wiring to be done!

#2074085 - 05/12/09 02:43 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

The 'frenetic' work had to start in earnest today, as confirmation arrived that interesting packages start to arrive on Friday - so this room needs finishing fast!
Not seen here yet - but just found on the hard drive - a picture of what was just a floor some 14 months ago :-

The room needed to be fully emptied and made good for a meeting of a dozen or so folks over the weekend, which happened and went well, and gave an idea of what the room will eventually look like :-

But after such a good clean out I decided I was missing all the clutter and decided to put it all back today just for the fun of it (either that or I needed to put up the rear wall absorbers and get the final finishing of cladding to the ceiling panells)

Making the carcases for the traps began

They only need to be fairly basic as they will be clad in oak next to hide their construction details

Then the cladding can start

and finally the oak angle is cut ready to hide the edges of the rockwool infill

This lot will begin to be hung on the rear wall tomorrow, and some very special traps will begin to take shape as well.
This has been one of the most interesting projects I have ever set out on, and certainly one that has taught me more than I thought it would. I keep reading so many interesting tips on here (some I wish I had a few months ago - but hey, whats done is done!) that I try to incorporate into what is happening right now.
Will post more over the next few days..

#2074348 - 05/13/09 08:36 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Keep 'em coming Steve!

#2075439 - 05/15/09 02:33 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Ethan Winer]
Steve2701 Offline

As promissed a few quick updates.
I managed to finish two of the rear bass traps, and at a weight of 17kg each, plus another 11kg of rockwool, they are not the lightest, (or smallest!) items to hang of a wall - 10' up in the air.. The scaffold tower helped, but it was amusing yet again.
The photos dont show just how big these things are, and a small change of plan was decided upon once these were in place:-

A further two were going to be hung horizontally / centrally below these, but that plan has now been shelved as they will simply not look right at all.
Instead one will be hung vertically in the centre of them and below, then another two 'specials' will be hung either side of it - one of which will be in front of the door when in use. These will now be made next week.
In the meantime two rather large (ok, huge) wooden crates arrived today with the first of the goodies for the room in them

They won't be coming out of these till the room is finished, but I cant wait to hear what they are going to sound like when in place.
Any ideas on how to get them upstairs? 105Kg (231lbs) apiece should prove to be entertaining, at least for a while.
Sorry - they are Dynaudio Confidence C4.

So all hell breaks loose and yet more traps get made; I could do this with my eyes shut now!
Even ran out of clamps so had to call in the specials for extra duty.

& another 22kg (45lb) of rockwool is readied t go up on the wall.

And another facing piece takes shape. I think I've been here before too.

While this is going on I'm also sorting out the mains supply for the room, with some decisions being made on what goes where, and what feeds what - more on that if anyone wants to know at a later date.

This weekend will see a little bit more done, but real work has to take place as someone decided to place an order yesterday that needs fitting on Monday, ... so much for warning!

#2075870 - 05/17/09 10:53 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

Another weekend at work, including a full 9 hours today - means a little bit more got completed.
Some of the work was on the electrics - (I'll put these on a seperate post) while this isn't the forum to discuss this - I will just show you what I'm up to and what goes on 'juice wise' for the room.
So yesterday the centre rear wall panel finally got hung :-

& back today saw the first of four 'specials' begin to take shape.

Those with sharp eyes will notice that this is very different in size to the standard 1.2m x 600mm... infact it's a very odd 74.2mm wide.

While this was being allowed time for the glue to set - the electrics took over. (see next post)

Then, this afternoon, it got put into place. Rather than just put it into permanent place, I needed this one to be moveable, so some old woodwork techniques were called into use.
When was the last time you saw a plug and screw morticer used? Me too!

One for the top, and one as a support:-

& on the rear, studs cut out to cover the screw holes.

Me 'n Heath robinson would get on well together don't you think?

So finally screwed into place
It's position is decided by the distance from the panel to it's left, and the fact that a 'free standing' unit will cover the door when serious listening is taking place.

Time to start stuffing it with rockwool - each piece needed to be cut to size - a bit of a jigsaw in the end. As it's designed to be 6" thick, two pieces of 3" thick are placed one on top of the other, a total of 12 pieces in the end used to fill the carcase completely.

Then covered in polyester to provide some soft fill (2 layers)

Then as this time I need a dark background - some black fibreglass porous cloth (as used in weed control in gardens) covers the polyester

& finally (drum roll please)
A rather special printed polyester cover - yes, it's acoustically transparent, well, very nearly.
& your going to have to see the next post as I've run out of allowed photo space on this particular post!

#2075871 - 05/17/09 10:54 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

I think I can call it a 'Music Room' now!
I have a few other of these fabric posters - The best of Pink Floyd, the famous ladies in PF's 'Back catalogue' then I have two black & white posters in the shape of an original Dead Can Dance poster and a beautiful art print of BB King. That is going to keep me busy for an hour or two.
This will be fully stretched and edge finished tomorrow - one to allow the creases to fall out overnight, and two, it was 4.30 on a Sunday afternoon and dinner was nearly ready!

Dog walking duties now - so will post the next install shortly.

Edited by Steve2701 (05/17/09 11:26 AM)

#2075902 - 05/17/09 12:07 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

The electrics.
It's not just you recording guys that need nice clean electric - us lot that listen to your efforts need it just as much - but that is often overlooked or even poo poo'ed.
I am seriously lucky here, as out in the street we have an 11,000volt supply. In the yard, 15m from my door is a massive transformer that just feeds our five units. 11,000v is transformed down to 415v three phase and fed into each individual unit.
I have kept one of these phases 'clean' and just for use with the 'HiFi'. For the near future I have two massive balancing transformers being sorted. One @30Kva (30,000 volt/amps) and one @ 25Kva. The larger will just feed the power amp(s) and the smaller will feed all the ancilaries - cd plyer, preamp, vinyl spinner etc.
The clean feed is fed to the main music room ditribution board via 10mm^ (^=square) SWA cable (Steel wire armoured) I had this done on purpose, as the steel armour is grounded to earth at the supply end, and terminated into a plain 'stuffing gland' the the other. This effectively makes the armour into an RFI shield. Well, at least that's the theory...
The distribution board will feed 14 seperate spurs via individual sockets and seperate circuit breakers - all either 6mm^ or 4mm^ rather than the standard 2.5mm^
Overkill - possibly, but I am aiming at the lowest possible impedance on the supply lines. (I wanted a 25mm^ feed but the sparky just looked at me in despair when I requested that!)
All of these individual feeds will be in braided sheathed flex, so again, RFI will be rejected.
Terminating all this braided screen is a right royal PITA but will be worth it long term, hopefully!
After being fully tested the DB has a path to earth of a mere 0.04ohms - I wish I had that at home..
To the business end :-
A rather full DB, only five in place, 9 more to go!

These two are 6mm^ superflex and feed the front centre of the room - two because maybe one day when I win the lottery I can go mono-block (PLEASE). A third will be added later in the form of a 13A plug socket. This pair of wires will be fed into the room & terminated in IEC sockets which can then feed directly into the power amps - that gets rid of two nasty electrical interfaces in one go! (Plug/socket and plug/fuse) Legal and fully checked by certified sparkies! Please remember that in the UK the fuse in the plug protects the supply CABLE - here the circuit breaker is doing that and the cable is fully able to take anything the breaker can give it before it trips.

After over an hour of very carful drilling with a taper drill, and 0.5mm before it was finished - this happened.

Lets say I wasn't exactly pleased.
So I went back downstairs and did a bit more to the 'Stairway' bass trap..

Decided that I could make one better myself - so here we go

Cut and marking out to take the glands. Thats a magnifying centre punch you can see sat on top of the laminate - usefull with black lines on a dark grey background.

These glands only have a 7mm backthread, so I need to counter bore the 20mm thick laminate rather substantially, not a problem as I use some custom cutters in my job..

15 minutes with a pillar drill and taper drill sees a finished item ready for black french polishing of the edges.

Mine Vs a shop purchased plastic jobby...

& finally sealed into place with intumesant acoustic sealant..
A little later the bare cable will be over fitted with coulured braid and have its plug fitted.

Having seen how to make these, and how good it looks - means I only have another thirteen to make. Oh my... what have I started again?

Will this room ever be finished?

More nice boxes arrive in 4 days time.

My wife would like to see me at home once in a while..

#2076299 - 05/18/09 03:35 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
shortyedwards Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Can't tell you how inspiring this thread is. My hat is off to you for the fine detail with which you have loaded up your studio construction but also this thread. Thank you - and I'll continue to watch in the background.

#2078348 - 05/24/09 02:20 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: shortyedwards]
Steve2701 Offline

Not a huge amount to show this week, as not much time was available to get into the room.

Most of the work is now 'fine detail' finishing off, but without it the room will never look right.

So 'Stairway' trap is given its finished look

Then that beautifully tidy room of a couple of weeks ago is completely filled again.

Finally the very last pieces of glue lam beams are cloaked with finish oak

Plans are now finalised on what to do with these two back corners

And my wife has veryy kindly made curtains for the window - which will be fitted next week.

One thing I would do differently if ever I do this again is not cut these support timbers at 45' They may look good, but boy are they a challenge to cover.

Several 45' cuts, a couple of 90's and ten minutes on a flat bed sander turns this into a cover :-

And finally a nice cover piece.

Say goodbye to the scaffold! It will only go back up if something is drastically wrong or I made a major****

So next week has the final first reflection traps to be made (x6) a couple more specials, and finish the electrics.

You will see the progress later on.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it is appreciated.

#2080558 - 05/31/09 10:03 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

Well this room simply must be finished for Wednesday - as I need it as an office!
So some decisions were made, and anything that can be added later will now be - but anything 'fixed' in the room simply must be finished - now. I guess some late night wiring up is on the cards..

So some work on the hanging wires starts -

From left to right those are a single socket from the office 'ring main' which also is attached to the phase that runs the freezers and the a/c, so should be considered 'dirty' - going to be fun investigating this.

The next three are plain 6mm^ twin & earth singlr spurs, each to their own individual fuse - and clean phase.

The final three are again 6mm^ but this time shielded - again single individual runs and fuses each.

Time to make another couple of cable outlests as before

& then drilling the final correct size hole with a taper drill

Then making a mess of my nice clean wall and floor

Then put down as much flooring as possible, moved the speakers - checked the lenght of the cable (phew!)

So the front of the room is finished, and the rear 3' is still to be done...

More shortly - and some late night wiring.

#2081473 - 06/02/09 11:08 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

Anticipation gave way big style to impatience yesterday as looking at so many nice new boxes / toys and not having any tunes took over.
A 'small rig' was very much jury rigged into service - breaking just about every rule in the 'how to set up a system' book...

What with running off a trailing extension lead sockets, boxes everywhere, no chair - no power sockets, something had to give.
So I finally got home very late last night after wiring in all of the remaining sockets, fitting the supplies to the three phase, checking every socket for polarity, checking every fuse was correct, finally, the system looked like this as I left

Lilly the dog had completely given up on getting home, so had gone to sleep in every place possible that would be in the way (how do they do that?) from at the bottom of stepladders to right where I wanted to stand, but the look of consternation on her face, followed by racing up and barking at a stereo image of a ladies voice (nothing exciting, just a system test disc to check polarity of speakers) had to be seen to be believed - great fun.
So how did it sound?
Well if you have ever powered up a new system from cold, in a new room, where absolutely every cable and connection is new - you will have some idea - not great, but with huge potential.
After 5 hours of constant running and fine tuning the speakers slightly - awsome is a reasonable word for now.
Lots more work today as the main rig begins to take shape, and speaker positioning continues.
Then I better fit that door, build the other traps and order something to sit on!

Oh, & fitting the rest of the carpet may be a reasonable idea as well.

#2081815 - 06/03/09 07:51 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Klook Offline

Hey Steve,
your room is a dream for audiophiles like me, both for acoustics and equipment.
If you see the topic of my room, I started listening without the bass traping. After the side-front wall trapping, it seemed that I have removed the equipment and put new gear.
I don't have top class equipment like yours so I can imagine the fidelity you have there (so that your dog start barking to the singer). By the way, I don't see treatment for side-walls reflections.
Congratulations for your amazing space and all the report here.
Another thing, in my country I'm part of an audiophile group and we discuss a lot about what is the most important part of the audio system. Some says it's the speaker, other the pre-amplifier. Now I can say for sure that it is the acoustics.

regards!
Leonardo

#2081839 - 06/03/09 11:30 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Klook]
Steve2701 Offline

Good morning Leonardo,
Thank you for those words.
The equipment is very nice indeed, but thirty years of collecting and some decent fortune has got me to here. I also used to dream of a space like this - some hard work has eventually paid off.
Side wall / early reflection traps are all downstairs awaiting assembly.
Three each side to be hung on those runners you see.
Then another two but covered in music posters (BB King & Dead Can Dance) go under the rearmost wall lights.
Then (hopefully) finally two more hung horizontally above the first reflection point traps covered in the designs of Pink Floyd printed on polyester fabric - check HERE to see more of those.
Finally going to get the 'big rig' set up today, but it cant be in it's correct position yet as some custom length cables are being constructed for me and will arrive next week.

Then I really must finish the flooring and put that door on!

With the experimentation I have done, you are 100% correct in saying room acoustics have the most effect on a 'listening room' but in the vast majority of domestic situations (lets face it, that is where most listening occurs)compromise simply has to be made - most familys wouldnt like my room as a main living room! For one thing a flat screen tv is missing...
The next most important thing (and here I can prove a point, but you would need to come here and listen to understand) is a pair of very well set up speakers - not the 'source' components that most everyone else insits must come first.

#2082096 - 06/04/09 01:56 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Klook Offline

Steve,
what you mean with the "very well set up" speakers?

thanks
Leonardo

#2082387 - 06/05/09 08:50 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Steve2701
most familys wouldnt like my room as a main living room!

I would! grin

#2082390 - 06/05/09 08:54 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Klook]
Steve2701 Offline

Hello Leonardo,
Not easy to explain in so many words, but I refer to well set up speakers as being in their absolute optimum position to give of their finest possible sound, not being placed where they 'must go' with respect to other room furnishings / televisions / cabinetts etc - ie - they come first - everything else must work around them. This is all but impossible to achieve and keep the rest of the family happy!
What they sit on, how they are 'toed in' distance from rear & side walls is all vitally important, and takes a lot of listening and experimentation to get absolutely correct.
The book of rules that says speakers need to be 'x' distance apart and 'y' distance from the rear wall then toed in by 3.75 degrees, with the listening position being 3.87302m from the centreline of the speakers will invariably be correct for one room in the world only - the one that they were sat in when that set of rules were written...
We have just spent the last three hours playing with mine, moving them an inch at a time, and we are getting something close now - but enjoying the music as we do so.
Hope this helps.

#2084954 - 06/11/09 02:52 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

Its been a while since my last up-date, so just a few quick lines so that you can see what has gone on this week. It will probably come as no great surprise to read that I am still not 100% finished - but we are a lot closer.

After setting up the small rig, and having some fun with some tunes - the big rig was set out ready for assembly.

& beneath this lot is a custom rack that needs re-assembly.

Three hours of patient work sees this appear

along with all the sphagetti

A bit of fine tuning and clearing up - and I can at last see what it is looking like.

It wont stay like this for long - the top 4 components will reside to the left hand side when a few cables arrive - leaving just the amp between the speakers. That should look better.

Time to press on with the back of the room..

#2084960 - 06/11/09 03:03 PM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
Steve2701 Offline

The rear of the room gets the attention now.
The rest of the flooring goes down, and the skirting board is finished off - then its time to sort the rear corner traps.

Due to location of the window, and curtains, an angled trap was out of the question, so solid 8" thick was decided upon.
This is supported on small oak shelves.

My warehouse is now a total wreck and needs a lot of attention!

A corner trap takes shape.

Will I ever stop buying this stuff?

up goes the first trap and the curtain..

And the other corner - somewhat wrinkly for now - but that will soon be sorted.

Thats it for today - I'll take a few more when we are done with finishing the rear traps and start on the assembly of the first reflection points.
It was very noticable that these corner traps had a marked effect on the sound in the room - more than any others so far.

#2085342 - 06/12/09 08:08 AM Re: Wall boundary trapping. [Re: Steve2701]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
It was very noticable that these corner traps had a marked effect on the sound in the room - more than any others so far.

Not surprising at all. thu

--Ethan

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ethan Winer