Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Velocity Curves and Latency

I just picked up a Nord Stage 3 Compact with the idea that I can use my Yamaha Motif XS8 with 88 keys as a master controller for pianos on the Nord. The waterfall keys on the Nord are fine for organ/synth. The issue I have is that even with a straight 5-pin din Yamaha MIDI out to Nord MIDI in it feels like there is latency. From what I have read the latency for this sort of setup should be a few milliseconds and therefor imperceptible. The other issue is that even with the velocity curve set to hard on the Motif it seems like it I cannot control the dynamics of the Nord pianos very well and the sounds coming out of the Nord are louder than what I am playing.

So, is it possible that I am sensing MIDI latency or is it more likely the entire issue is a mismatch in velocity curves? If the issue is velocity curves then the solution is to get a controller to replace the Motif with more customizable velocity curves?

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try playing the NS3 from a different weighted midi controller to rule out a laggy midi implementation on the Yam. Also, there may be other settings on the Yam that could contribute a little towards latency, like whether it's in patch or performance mode, local is on or off, etc. Sorry, I'm just guessing â I know that's not much help. People are different wrt sensitivity to latency. Back in the day I would midi a Yamaha KX88 directly to a Roland MKS20 (yes I'm old) and whatever latency there was didn't bug me. My feeling is that if you perceive an issue, there probably is an issue â but it's hard to say where.

I would try playing the NS3 from a different weighted midi controller to rule out a laggy midi implementation on the Yam. Also, there may be other settings on the Yam that could contribute a little towards latency, like whether it's in patch or performance mode, local is on or off, etc. Sorry, I'm just guessing â I know that's not much help. People are different wrt sensitivity to latency. Back in the day I would midi a Yamaha KX88 directly to a Roland MKS20 (yes I'm old) and whatever latency there was didn't bug me. My feeling is that if you perceive an issue, there probably is an issue â but it's hard to say where.

Thank you, great information. I will see if a different controller solves the issue.

Great advice, and I still have my KX88 from the TX816 days, from playing smooth easy action for 30 years I can barely play the KX88 anymore.

Acoustic Piano, no problem, but the KX88 seems to have become even harder than when I lugged it around.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

These days I only look at my KX88, not really using it at the moment. I chronicled its acquisition in a thread here about four years ago â found it at a Sam Ash near me for $99, absolutely cherry - like it just came out of the box! My first one (tossed in a dumpster after a house fire) was in terrible shape with the membrane overlay torn and graphics smudged. It would also fail to boot once in a while. I don't think I'll ever sell this, even if I rarely use it. I don't remember the feel being all that bad either.

To get back to the thread topic: there's the possibility the midi lag might be in the Nord too, so it's worth looking at that angle I think. There could be other issues, like if the Yam sends midi note data at a later point in the key travel â that might add the perception of "sluggishness." The test there would be to midi it to a different sound source and see if the feel improves or not.

If both the NS3 and Yam have a very percussive sound source, you could put on your Mr. Science cap, send the audio output of each keyboard to a DAW, play a note and look at how far apart the waveforms are. I'd only be guessing as to how much of a difference would be expected (there should definitely be some amount of lag), but I think anything over 10ms would raise a flag for me.

And BTW... velocity curves by themselves should have no bearing on lag â unless the Nord uses "pre-attacks" so that lower velocies trigger samples with more space before the actual note strike. Just thought of that one. Maybe some of the Nord experts here can chime in.