Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1983564 - 08/23/08 12:09 PM Recording with a Tube Tape Echo
Mortal Engines Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I want to start recording guitar with a Fulltone Tube Tape Echo (modeled after an early Maestro Echoplex) in the chain... How did guys like Page and Gilmour do it? Was it in the chain, or a send/return effect at mixdown?....Did they split the signal for an effected/uneffected that was blended. I have a delayed output and a clean out...should I use both? Should I use 2 amps then? I would love to hear from more experienced engineers...previously I just plugged my guitar into a D/I and relied on modeling for all of my guitar sounds and used different plugs for my effects: nice way to go but I really like the tone I am getting out of a little amplifier as of late....as a matter of fact, I bought an LA 610 channel strip and an Apogee Duet just for recording more stuff with microphones. Any links to good articles on the subject would be cool too.

#1983615 - 08/23/08 04:05 PM Re: Recording with a Tube Tape Echo [Re: Mortal Engines]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
You can split it...record the clean to one track and the delayed to another.
Then during mixdwon you can blen as needed to fit in the stereo mix.

If you record a blended sound to one track, you will have to live with that delay for the mix...but I've occasionally done that. It's not a big deal if you are willing to commit to the blended sound.

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#1983654 - 08/23/08 08:31 PM Re: Recording with a Tube Tape Echo [Re: miroslav]
Mortal Engines Offline

Yeah, that was what I expected to hear...now would it be wiser to run it out of the clean channel on the echo unit and thru a D/I box, or maybe just split the signal with a D/I before it? Do you think this really makes a difference either way? Also since the D/I signal doesn't have the mic in it's chain you would have to apply some kind of delay that signal since it will be out of phase with the mic'ed signal....right?

#1983677 - 08/23/08 11:07 PM Re: Recording with a Tube Tape Echo [Re: Mortal Engines]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

You can split after the guitar if you have something like an ABY switch box (Radial Big Shot would work)...and send one to the amp and the other to the echo unit....then use a DI to bring the output of the echo unit to your recording device...and then mic the amp for your dry/clean signal.

I wouldn't worry too much about differences in timing between the mic and the DI signal since it is a delayed signal anyway...so you will just have a couple of milliseconds more delay.

#1983731 - 08/24/08 09:00 AM Re: Recording with a Tube Tape Echo [Re: miroslav]
audiofreek Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Prince George,CANADA
If you want to sound like Page or Gilmore the delay will have to run through the amp.I haven't used the maestro or the the fulltone,but I have used the Roland Space Echo and it makes the signal sound better,even with the delay turned off.
Use an ABY box from your guitar and put the delay in line to one amp.You can also run it on an FX send and get a good sound on mixdown but your feel will be different when you play the part,as you would have to monitor your delayed signal through phones or the control room speakers,it gives you alot more flexibility on mix though,and it will sound different if not better.Try both ways, and see what fits the song.

Edited by audiofreek (08/24/08 09:03 AM)

#1983763 - 08/24/08 12:13 PM Re: Recording with a Tube Tape Echo [Re: audiofreek]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Yeah...you could run the delay-only split out to a second amp...and then mic both amps indiviually and record each to their own tracks.

Then toss a third mic out a bit further and centered between the two amps...and that can go to a third track...it would be the "room mix" of both clean amp and delayed amp.

Lots of cool blending possibilites there!

#1983779 - 08/24/08 02:05 PM Re: Recording with a Tube Tape Echo [Re: miroslav]
Mortal Engines Offline

Thanks guys, I'll try it a couple of different ways to see what comes up! I have a Radial J48 D/I that I haven't used in a while...now is a good opportunity to give it a whirl....I assume that the delay's mix should be all the way wet? Any suggestions for panning the 2 signals...should you go wide right and left?

#1983822 - 08/24/08 05:20 PM Re: Recording with a Tube Tape Echo [Re: Mortal Engines]
audiofreek Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Prince George,CANADA
Yeah,all the way wet.As far as panning that decision doesn't have to be made till mixdown,unless your using a limited number of tracks like Page and Gilmore did?

Edited by audiofreek (08/24/08 05:26 PM)

#1983851 - 08/24/08 09:28 PM Re: Recording with a Tube Tape Echo [Re: audiofreek]
Mortal Engines Offline

Cool....I JUST went out and bought another channel strip for recording a second amplifier (I have three 5 watt tube amps....can't wait to give 'em a go). One of these days (months?) I'll start posting links for some finished product....I really appreciate all the input....this beats the hell out of a bunch of trial and error (there may still be a little bit of that but, isn't there always?).

Moderator:  BrianK, J.J. Blair