Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEW Hendrix Live Track: Awesome or Just Okay?

The upcoming box set SONGS FOR GROOVY CHILDREN includes a previously unreleased live performance of "Ezy Rider" by Band of Gypsys.

Do you feel this is a wonderful and inspiring track for a new generationâas well as for all the guitarists and music lovers of a "certain age" whose minds were blown back when Jimi was aliveâor simply a so-so performance pulled out to sell more product?

TRACK: https://www.air.tv/watch?v=ovWnnsqoRvmWCOQqsktFUQ

FULL STORY HERE: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimi-hendrix-ezy-ryder/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The quality all around is high. The sound is good (relatively speaking of course!) and the performance is solid.

It may be difficult for some to understand the historical significance of Jimi Hendrix and his guitar playing.

Yes, almost all of it can be traced back to influences. The synthesis of all those influences was unique and ground breaking.

When All Along The Watchtower hit the radio waves, there was nothing to compare it to, the solo section in the middle of the song still inspires all these decades later.

There truly was "Pre-Hendirx Guitar Playing" and "Post-Hendrix Guitar Playing."

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I could not get the videos to play without buffering pauses, so I went to You Tube, and here is the live raw version of the same tune in the same place with the same band. A little different sounding

Jimi fans will appreciate having the unreleased tune in their collections...even if it may sound so so today. It was a jaw dropping new sound for the Fillmore audience at the time it was originally performed. A lot of the original unreleased performances and audio/video YouTube clips by various 50's 60's 70's, etc. artists are very much appreciated today. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I and other people who are already Hendrix fans- particularly the musicians among us- will appreciate and enjoy this. The performance is pretty tight and solid all-around.

However- and this is especially the case for most younger, "newer generation" listeners for whom this may be an introduction to Hendrix- being a live performance by a trio, it can sound as if something's a bit missing, compared to studio creations with layers of overdubs and additional instruments, or live performances with additional players and instruments, looping, sequencers, etc.

For context of that, I present that I recently played Rush's live album Exit, Stage Left for someone who'd never even heard of them, and he was amazed and impressed that so much sound was coming from three people performing live. Hendrix' studio masterpieces might be a better introduction for newer generations.

It may be difficult for some to understand the historical significance of Jimi Hendrix and his guitar playing.

Yes, almost all of it can be traced back to influences. The synthesis of all those influences was unique and ground breaking.

Much agreed.

When All Along The Watchtower hit the radio waves, there was nothing to compare it to, the solo section in the middle of the song still inspires all these decades later.

A gargantuan masterpiece for the ages! If I had to choose one single song as a representative example of Rock Music for, say, an alien civilization or peoples from a distant future, apocalyptically brooding though it may be, that shining moment and great achievement just might be my choice...

There truly was "Pre-Hendirx Guitar Playing" and "Post-Hendrix Guitar Playing."

That's really very genuinely true.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 2 weeks later...

By the way.....

Right now there is an hour long program on KPFK -FM's archives ( KPFK is a Los Angeles based FM station) regarding this very recording. There are interviews with Eddie Kramer ( Hendrix's recording engineer ) and Hendrix biographer John McDermott - hope I spelled that one right !

The are several complete performances posted here. As I recall there is one called " Stop" which I think is a Howard Tate cover that Buddy Miles sings. There is also a previously unreleased version of " The Power of Soul" from Band of Gypsys and maybe one or two others. These ( I think I recall) being complete performances.

If you want to find it go to the KPFK website and look up ONLINE ARCHIVES. The program is called ROCK PROFILES. The date that it aired was Sunday December 1.

I hope you find this program. Eddie Kramer has a lot of interesting Hendrix anecdotes.

As far as the playing, I would put it in the AWESOME category .I think that Hendrix playing on the Band of Gypsy's recording on Capitol was nothing short of revolutionary - even though we had been hearing Hendrix's studio work for several years. " Machine Gun" from The Band of Gypsy's is considered by many to be a tour de force.

This new offering presents many different sides to Hendrix's talents. The track " Stop" reveals Hendrix's mastery of soul and R and B influences.

The only question I have at this point is is- why did it take 50 years to release this?