Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: Star Wars-the battle continues

skipclone 1

Regardless of your take on Taylor Swift's music-(she does play guitar)-this is a good if depressing read.

Sad to think this is still a problem.

https://japantoday.com/category/entertainment/taylor-swift-label-feud-underscores-tensions-over-music-ownership

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Fripp has been fighting some version of this battle for years, if not decades now: look up Lester Chambers' (The Chambers Brothers) story for an even more egregious example. Who owns the Masters, who controls the Music, who makes and distributes the money earned? It seems the answer is whoever had the better lawyer, and got their names in the right places on the contracts . . .

While I'm not a Taylor Swift fan, by any means, it does seem absurd to me that she would have to essentially re-create her first few albums, in order to have the rights to those recordings?

The next big fight is going to be over who owns an artist's image? A recent article in the Washington Post Sunday Magazine concerned the coming wave of holographic "performers." While I love the idea of Hatsune Miku, I'm less taken with the idea of a holographic Bowie, or Prince, who would surely object to the idea as an extension of the enslavement of artists.

If Big Machine, for example, was able to assemble a holographic Taylor Swift, using only images and audio taken from the time when she was under contract to them, which they could claim to "own", could they launch a virtual Taylor Swift tour? Might it even undercut a tour by the real Taylor Swift, by offering discount tickets, and, of course, stocking the merchandise tables with her early albums? Hire local Musicians from the Union at every stop on the tour, cut expenses at every turn, and still make a nice profit off of an artist who left them.

Entertainment and contract lawyers, never mind estate managers, are going to have fun with this . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I wish Taylor all the luck in the world when standing up for her re-recording rights that are allowed in her contracts. The legal process can take years so all she has to do is choose different songs (which are not covered by her contract) to perform at the AMA ceremony. Perhaps she can record her medley of re-recorded songs at a later date and pocket the money. I can see where a televised performance could be considered a recording. I think it's going to be up to a judge to decide... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Maybe will cast some light on the subject.

https://amp.tmz.com/2019/11/15/taylor-swift-perform-hits-ama-awards-big-machine/

Well wait a munute, maybe not. According to NPR nobody knows what's happening as of this afternoon. If you re an entertainer or an athlete you need a team of lawyers just to get up in the morning. :idk::facepalm:

Jenny S.