Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1983123 - 08/22/08 06:37 AM Todd Rundgren Article
spindlebox Offline

Todd,
The only thing I didn't like about your article was that it was too short! I'd like to know more about what you were referring to when you mentioned "woodshedding" at the end of the article.

I'm a long proponent of wanting to put out quality instead of quality, and don't have any "airs" about success in the music business. I'm just trying to focus on the music, though I'd like some pointers on cost-conscious strategies towards promo'ing a new album. We just released our first on the 19th of this month, and I'd just like some pointers, is all.

Truly enjoyed the article and picked up some awesome tips. Thanks so much!

#1983530 - 08/23/08 10:18 AM Re: Todd Rundgren Article [Re: spindlebox]
2leftears Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I found it interesting that he uses amp models while the resurgence of tubes is so prevalent.

#1983628 - 08/23/08 04:56 PM Re: Todd Rundgren Article [Re: 2leftears]
spindlebox Offline

Yes!!! Me too. Actually, it gave me the final justification for my desire to get Peavey's Revalver MKIII. I tried the demo briefly and was just blown away, but felt a little "twinge" of guilt for wanting it. Not anymore.

#1986188 - 09/01/08 11:38 AM Re: Todd Rundgren Article [Re: spindlebox]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Well, he champions fully digital recording, as well, so that's not out of line in his method.
That's a subjective choice of course & not one that is fully endorsed by all but I suspect that TR uses methods to warm up his tracks rather than leave them bare.

#1988420 - 09/06/08 03:57 PM Re: Todd Rundgren Article [Re: d]
HighwayRecording Offline

Loc: Honolulu
I use several quality tube amps in my studio as well as modeling amps in and outside of the box. They all sound great. Just different. Go with what sounds good in the moment. It's the sound not the medium.

#1988499 - 09/06/08 11:21 PM Re: Todd Rundgren Article [Re: HighwayRecording]
J.J. Blair Moderator Offline

Loc: Hollywood, CA
Hey, guys. Sorry for the length. They only had so many words they could print. Glad you liked it.

#1988606 - 09/07/08 12:30 PM Re: Todd Rundgren Article [Re: J.J. Blair]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Hey JJ...long-time-no-see on these forums!

Yes...great article.

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#1990750 - 09/12/08 01:17 PM Re: Todd Rundgren Article [Re: miroslav]
disco stu Offline

Hey JJ - Thanks for the great article. I was also curious about the "Woodshedding" comment as well. Was he referring to practicing your ass off? And, "It's not a stampede to the top of the charts". Any insight?

Thanks again

cheers

#2001001 - 10/12/08 10:00 PM Re: Todd Rundgren Article [Re: disco stu]
Mortal Engines Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Yes, the article was really great. Entertaining and informative (love the XTC story!). You should try to see if you can get more space for the article in the online version of EQ or something. I would love to read more. Rundgren still looks really good for his age to by the way! Must be the result of good, clean living or something like that.

Moderator:  BrianK, J.J. Blair