Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Never Used Wurlie 200A in Mty CL

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had one of these in the 70's. Gave it up in the divorce. $4200 in 2019 is far more than the rate of inflation. But then, they don't make them anymore and if you want one, you want one. I get a very nice Wurly sound on my Nord 5D. And I have organ with drawbars and rotary and pianos and so much more ... Half the cost of what's being asked for this Wurly.

For collectors only.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Yeah. My first kybd was a beige particle board Wurlie in 1973. Personally, I never loved the reedy tone, I constantly broke tines, and it was a MAJOR PITA to tune, frequently involving molten lead.

I'm assuming the front panel scuffs visible in the photo are reflections, and it is, as advertised, virginal. But... $4200? Really?

Coupla' years ago I spent around half that to restore my '83 Rhodes. It plays so great! OMG glorious.

Took it to one gig........ had a blast; but never again- heavy, only one sound, etc.

This Wurlie is so close to me I realy oughtta go take a look. Very low risk of agreeing to excange $4200 for it. But that's just me.

Will report back

âReflections'? In matte painted wood?

No.

I love the amped Wurli in the Nord, and have played many a gig with it, but my 200A is one of those 'magical' instruments. Stuff happens when you play it that doesn"t with the Nord (or other Wurlis I"ve played, for that matter).

Going rate around here is 1700-2500

Anecdotal bragging: a major German production rented a Wurli for their 'Unplugged' DVD/album (why Wurli and Hammond count as 'unplugged' has always escaped me). Didn"t like the first one; sent it back. Second one, same. Backline company heard I had one, picked it up. When I got it back, they"d recorded two extra songs with it that had originally been slated for acoustic grand. Must have liked it. :-)

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

The drummer in one of my bands once commented that he can"t tell the difference between the Wurli on my Nord and when I bring my 200 out... I sure can tell, though! That thing is my pride and joy (and consequently I need to get it serviced in a way I never do the Nord, but, there it is).

Mine came heavily used, but consequently I got it for $1200 with a road case. That was a good deal based on what I usually saw on Reverb and Craigslist, but $4k is way out of my range.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

CL, LoL

I read between the lines. The so called seller never used it

But other folks did ;)

I enjoy going to Monterey but I wouldn't chase this ad.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I never bought into the Wurly for live use. When I started hunting a piano after I decided to switch over from organ for music my band was playing, I started with a Rhodes. That instrument was something I could service myself by replacing Tines and Tuning, although both instruments were a PITA. At least with the Rhodes, I didn't have to solder anything. The fact was, the Rhodes couldn't cut through a rock band. My next step was a Lawrence Audio piano. It was a real piano that could be tuned the same as a traditional piano, but it didn't stay in tune very long. Eventually I bought a Yamaha CP70 electric grand, I was done with poor replicas of a piano with that instrument. Bank loans and gig money is how I paid for everything back in those days.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.