Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy Dr. Martin Luther King Day

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same here! Hey Curve, dunno if I ever mentioned a line of nice mic's for the price-ADK's. In fact, I'm adding my third one to my studio in the next week. If you haven't worked with 'em, you should give 'em a ride! Sometime ago, I was mentioning about selling the vintage gtr pedals, and you said something about your brother, when near St. Louis? Let me know. LOVE OUR RAMS!!!!!!!

I second that emotion, Curve. Still remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard the sad news in '68. Yet glad news from prior years' courage buffered the pain, as has progress since that day. He's the 20th Century's other "the greatest" IMO, who fought ultimately for all. Happy birthday, Doctor King.
-- Music has miracle potential --

For me the actual sound and timbre of King's voice is so compelling that it commands attention even if you couldn't understand what he was talking about. On top of that the timing and phrasing of his delivery made him the most gifted speaker I have ever heard. I wonder what he would have sounded like singing?

Taking a moment of silence ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... there. A great man who stood for great things. I think it was John Lennon who referred to King and Ghandi as "two great non-violentists who died violently" or something to that effect.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

[quote]Originally posted by SteveFortner: [b]I think it was John Lennon who referred to King and Ghandi as "two great non-violentists who died violently" or something to that effect.[/b][/quote] Yup. I just can't understand how anyone could have ever listened to the man speak and then turn around and draw the conclusion that he needed to be killed. It simply boggles the mind. Happy birthday MLK. You made a difference.
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by blas: [b] Hey Curve, dunno if I ever mentioned a line of nice mic's for the price-ADK's.[/b][/quote] Try the Marshall Electronics mics too. Can't beat 'em I never done that before...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

We can't celebrate MLK Day here in Utah, the Mormon-controlled Legislature has changed it officially to "Native American Day". (Racism is built-in in the Book of Mormon). Wish my home could join the 21st century with the rest of you folks :(

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Well that was an ignorant Anti-Mormon post in a thread about a great man. I'm Mormon, I'm not a racist. I don't remember being taught racism in church anytime during the last 29 years. We have to separate the culture from the religion. . some people in Utah (and any other backwater, isolated area) develop there own beliefs and practices sometimes that certainly don't reflect the teachings and beliefs of the group as a whole. Anyway, part of Dr. Kings message was that "the Jew and the gentile, the protestant and the catholic" that we all can join hands as brothers and sisters and face the world together. That is truly an inspired message from a man who was a true American hero. I re-watched the "I Have a Dream" speech in it's entirety last night on CNN. What a great message! He talks about the true meaning of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence and about the need for peaceful resolve and determination in seeing that those original principles are upheld and put into practice. I also take from Dr. King the message that education can break us from our cycles of prejudice. People can change, but it takes education. Regardless of your experience with Mormons. . it's not in the spirit of Dr. Kings message to judge us based on the actions of an ignorant few. Thank you Dr. King. Be assured that my children will be brought up in a house where we are all brothers and sisters regardless of color, creed, religion, or politics.
Tiny G

His rhetorical powers were so captivating that it's easy to forget what a good critical writer and scholar he was. If you haven't read the famous "Letter from Birmingham Jail," do so this year in remembrance of the man. It's amazing the way it blends the familiar, bible-inspired rhetoric for which he is most known with some reeally adept philosphy and social criticism. I was teaching college English back when the revelation surfaced that King had plagarized substantial portions of his PhD dissertation. I asked my students--the majority of whom were "inner city youth"--if this news devalued his legacy. They thought not. I for one was impressed that both the research that discovered the plagiarism and the public announcement of same were perfromed by King's estate. They came clean with it, which is the best thing they could have done.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I'm not sure its supposed to be happy, rather a reverent observation of his legacy. I have been appalled at the lackluster participation of this and other significant "observations" by Americans. Instead of just another paid federal holiday.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]posted by strat0124: [b]I'm not sure its supposed to be happy[/b][/quote] Well, at the party at Zanzibar Blue last night (the famous black-owned Jazz club in center city Philadelphia), you would have had a hard time convincing folks of that. Especially after the dinner, when the DJ dropped the hip hop and the dance floor filled up. Aye aye aye, what a party, [b]and the women![/b]. Yo, it was happy. Happy Birthday, Dr. King! Eric :)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b] Well, at the party at Zanzibar Blue last night (the famous black-owned Jazz club in center city Philadelphia), you would have had a hard time convincing folks of that. Especially after the dinner, when the DJ dropped the hip hop and the dance floor filled up. Aye aye aye, what a party, [b]and the women![/b]. Yo, it was happy. Happy Birthday, Dr. King! Eric :) [/b][/quote] Hey I'm with ya....guess I was getting the spiritual end of it more than the party this year.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived