Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DSI Prophet 6 vs. OB6

eric

I did some searching and did not find much in the way of specific comparisons between these two instruments, but my search capabilities can always be improved.

I am feeling a bit of GAS for something like a modern reissue of a classic and I've been a bit nostalgic and wanting to incorporate a poly synth into my rig. These two are high on my list, so would love to hear your opinions on both or either of them - why you like one more than the other, if you have both what do you think about them relative to each other, any comments appreciated!

My main use case would be a mostly '80s cover band doing songs that were once performed on Sequential and Oberheim synths - The Cars, Talking Heads, Duran Duran, INXS, etc. I can faithfully emulate most anything with my Nord Stages, but I still have a desire for something more synthy. I had picked up another Moog Little Phatty about a year ago and it has not found its way into the mix as I have less need for mono lead/bass and more for chords and arpeggiator things.

Thanks for any insights!

Eric

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct answer is buy both.

Just Trying to be my usual helpful me. :idea:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

FWIW, here"s a piece that I wrote for a newsletter a year or so ago. All opinions are my own, so feel free to disagree with them. BTW, I couldn"t afford to keep them both, so I kept the Prophet 6, and reluctantly sent the OB6 and (not so reluctantly) the DM12 back. You can"t really go wrong with either of the DSI"s, but I felt that the Behringer, while fine on its own, suffered in comparison with the other two quality wise.

DSI Prophet Sequential 6

Very expensive (£2361 for synth, £1950 for module). No splits or layers, and only 49 keys, but the sound is out of this world!!! Very good key bed too. The module (21.25 x 7.43 inches) would be my choice, rather than the version with keys, it takes up a lot less space, and I have recently come round to the view that modules paired with a top class midi controller is probably the way to go.

HOWEVER, Behringer do the DeepMind 12 which is around £560 for the module version (£640 with keys), and it is nearly comparable! And you can get lots more sounds out of the DM12 because of the greater number of effects and the more sophisticated mod matrix that"s on it. Granted, the Prophet has knobs instead of sliders, and sounds a fair bit better, and has a far superior key bed, but the price difference is unbelievable. The DM12 has a screen, which gives you more info, but also leads to more menu diving, so it"s a two edged sword, the Prophet is faster to use. If they were the same price, it would be no contest. At 50% more, I would still go for the P6. But at three and a half times the price, when the DM12 is better in some ways, you have to think very very hard. Why do DSI charge so much? Because they can!

OB6.

The Tom Oberheim version of the Prophet 6, with the same astronomical price tag. The advantages are a huge bass tone that is so phat that it can be a touch overwhelming sometimes, and a notch filter setting, which sounds amazing, I mean, it"s really out of this world, far and away the best that I"ve ever heard. Apart from these two (not inconsiderable) advantages, the Prophet 6 is crisper, clearer, more versatile, and better in most ways, notwithstanding the Oberheim voicing. It is very easy to make the OB6 sound 'fizzy' on some settings. I know that at least 50% of people would disagree with me, but I know which one I think sounds best. I can"t help wishing that the P6 had the notch filter though!

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

The steeper filter cutoff and higher resonance settings makes tuned noise patches like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and SFX sounds like "You Dropped The Bomb On Me" much more accurate on the Prophet 6. That's just one example of why I thought the Prophet 6 would be the better choice for an 80s band - which I was considering at the time. But I just auditioned both in a GC showroom, and don't own either.

I do own a Deepmind 12, and because of it's much clunkier interface it's kind of a different beast. Even though it sounds great I must admit that I don't play it much anymore.

I'm very excited about the upcoming Jupiter X. I think Roland did a great job with analog modeling on the System 8, so I assume we'll be good there. It also has ample polyphony for splits and layers, and quite simply "That Look". Even though I hardly play out at all anymore, I'll probably buy one.

If I remember correctly, you're a Jupiter 8 fan (and owner). You might want to wait a few months before you decide Eric.

I've got my eye on the Prophet Rev 2. Someone on youtube did a great comparison between it and a Prophet 6, and while the 6 came out a tad better (IMO), the rev2 is bi-timbral and has a few more modulation options.

That same guy (Starsky Carr maybe?) does some really great comparisons, including a few with the Deepmind 12.

My problem: I already have two keyboards and dread the thought of gigging with 3....and don't want to give up stuff from the other two!!! I might consider the desktop version of whatever I get. The real wildcard for me is the Hydrasynth: can it do decent 70s/80s polysynth sounds? If so, I can EASILY rationalize getting it and trying 3 boards because I want it as a studio controller.....

Edit: in fact he compares the two boards you want to know about.

Edit 2: I should NOT watch videos with either of those (expensive) keyboards. Holy cow do those sound fantastic....

[video:youtube]

Awesome comments and videos, thanks a bunch!

I was also briefly distracted by the Prophet X, an instrument that kind of missed my radar (I think DSI may not have been at NAMM last year if I am remembering correctly). Lots of fun choices.

When I did my comparison, I borrowed the DM12 from a friend, and got the P6 and OB6 on 30 day approval. I sent the OB6 back after 10 days, just in time to get my credit card refunded before the bill was due!

Not saying I"m proud of this, but they did get a sale out of me with the P6. If you have access to a company who will do this, 10 days will be enough to tell you which synth you prefer.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!