Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MINIRIG 3 speakers

Hi guys! (is geekgurl still here??) Hi Linwood, ITGITC! Oh man I won"t stop and name everybody, even though I probably could, but I hope everyone"s well. Good to see the forum as active as ever. I"ve been off the radar for a few reasons but felt like stopping by and starting a thread. Like I have every right to do that. Oh well.

I searched till I got tired of looking with no hits, so here goes nothing. MINIRIG 3 SPEAKERS. They"re awesome. Seriously I haven"t been this excited about a piece of gear in ages. They"re powerful, clear, and play nice coming straight out of the aux outs on my Yamaha p-125. This confused me actually, having had balanced outs in the past. I tried them on the promega and it"s crap. No dynamics, all mud. And from the headphone jack, they"re overdriven.

I"ll take them over the Spacestation or Bose L1 any day, and they fit in the palm of my hand. Kinda funny. OH. And when I have to use MainStage, they sound great simply plugged into the headphone jack on the laptop. I set them by my feet in stereo mode, maybe half volume, and I'm heard throughout the hall.

That reminds me of another good find. Two actually. First, the Yamaha doesn"t have midi volume control which is a real pain in the butt, but I discovered the Volbox Mini. A tiny inline volume control knob about the size of an eraser, that does not add amplification so it"s perfect. I"m speaking ahead of myself since I just ordered it and haven"t actually received it yet.

I also discovered how to create a 'multi-output device' in audio preferences. What the heck I had no idea. So I can use the Radial USB pro to send FOH on the rare occasions that I need to, and still have my own sound coming from the headphone jack?! Wow. Huge problem solved.

Ok, hope that wasn"t too much enthusiasm too late. ;)

Cheers. gangsu.

edited to add: I was asked if I could run a mic into them and my first thought was no, but I was wrong. The Yamaha MG06X mixer has those 1/4' stereo outs, I really don"t get dBu numbers at all, but whatever is going on there, a Y-cable into the minirig is another sweet spot.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Sue and welcome back from someone who's a lot newer to the party than you. :)

Do you have a link to the Volbox Mini? Passive volume controls are very handy, but I want to know more about the guts of one that's that small (I have two that sound transparent but are MUCH larger).

Best,

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Hello Sue and welcome back from someone who's a lot newer to the party than you. :)

Do you have a link to the Volbox Mini? Passive volume controls are very handy, but I want to know more about the guts of one that's that small (I have two that sound transparent but are MUCH larger).

Best,

mike

Hi Dr Mike! I was reading your computer forum yesterday. That's terrific, I'll be gleaning lots of info from you, thanks.

yeah, if I can remember how to link here... The Volbox Mini

I bought the mini and the big brother model.

Awww haha thanks dB. Still got that cheeky popcorn kid for a front man I see. Love it.

So I used the Minirigs tonight with accordion, vocals and a bassoon plugged in, plus drums and a sax. It was a bit of a mess! Not sure the best sound system in the world would've helped either.