Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arthritis - Hand Exercises

TL;DR: I'm looking for finger exercises.

I have had psoriatic arthritis for 11 years which has caused problems (to put it mildly) with playing. I've come to accept I will only ever be able to play simple stuff.

Over these years I've had an occasional joint go to an odd angle, but after a month or 2 it comes right.

A few months ago the second finger on my left hand started leaning to the left. This basically makes the last three fingers useless for playing. My worry is that is this is not coming right. This is my hand at rest:

20191105_085733.jpg

A couple of months ago I finally started treatment with Methotrexate and another drug which I currently can't remember the name of Leflunomide. These have lowered my inflammatory markers, but surprisingly have not made a huge difference to the pain.

More depressingly, my finger is not improving.

My GP and Rheumatologist don't have any answers. I saw a physiotherapist this morning. His first response was "This is a tricky one." His suggesion was to strap it, but all that does is pull my first finger across.

I have devised this to pull it into line, but it makes working very difficult.

20191105_091523.jpg

But I'm going to have to wear it as much as possible and deal with the work problems.

So now I'm calling on the real medical professionals; the Internet. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

317.thumb.jpg.1ff630f179d910d74d1514032a913d7a.jpg

318.thumb.jpg.ab32cde26fe7adb57b0c955222ea7feb.jpg

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry to hear about your hand difficulties. This must be very distressing and difficult.

I doubt any specific piano finger exercises will help with the leaning fingers. Your body's immune system is making an inflammatory attack against your finger joints. It is the damage done to the finger joints that causes your fingers to lean like that. Your natural healing response is aided somewhat by motion of the joints, but I don't think any specific piano exercises will make your fingers straighten out.

The anti-inflammatory meds (methotrexate and leflunomide) will reduce the inflammation that is damaging to your joints and should aid with the healing response. I have had good experiences with physical therapists, so I recommend that.

Every pianist has to as some point deal with the infirmities of old age, arthritis is a common problem. I am sorry your healthy years are being wrecked this way.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

One of my fears, for certain. I hope that copious practice (and lots of Hanon exercises) will keep it at bay, but we'll see if I get my Dad's arthritis or my Mom's ability to play well into her 80's, even after suffering a stroke.

Interestingly, and I don't suggest this.. but: my father kept bees. He believed in many of the curative powers of honey and honeycomb, but one of the weirder ones was to allow a bee to sting him on his arthritic hand, sometimes two bees (honey bees die after stinging). Although it's mildly painful, he claimed relief from his arthritic pain for several days afterwards and had much better use of his hands.

Honey bees are pretty docile - they'll land and not sting, and then leave. When one would land on the back of his hand, he'd touch it with his finger and that would cause it to sting.

p.s. Don't try this. But if you do, don't try it with yellowjackets or other wasps: they're just a$$holes.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I am sorry to hear about your hand difficulties. This must be very distressing and difficult.

I doubt any specific piano finger exercises will help with the leaning fingers. Your body's immune system is making an inflammatory attack against your finger joints. It is the damage done to the finger joints that causes your fingers to lean like that. Your natural healing response is aided somewhat by motion of the joints, but I don't think any specific piano exercises will make your fingers straighten out.

The anti-inflammatory meds (methotrexate and leflunomide) will reduce the inflammation that is damaging to your joints and should aid with the healing response. I have had good experiences with physical therapists, so I recommend that.

Every pianist has to as some point deal with the infirmities of old age, arthritis is a common problem. I am sorry your healthy years are being wrecked this way.

Thanks. The physiotherapist I saw yesterday didn't really have a great deal to offer. He didn't even want a followup appointment.

Make sure you see a board certified rheumatologist and discuss options for treating/preventing structural damage.

The rheumatologist is one of only 2 in my town, both working out of the main hospital. They are sort of being quiet about permanent damage, and I've been too scared to ask. :(

My next appointment is a week away.

One of my fears, for certain. I hope that copious practice (and lots of Hanon exercises) will keep it at bay, but we'll see if I get my Dad's arthritis or my Mom's ability to play well into her 80's, even after suffering a stroke.

Everyone's different. Neither of my parents had anything like this. My mother, who is now nearly 88 has a mild amount of osteoarthritis, but it's only giving her minor discomfort. My father died at 87 with his hands still in good condition.

Interestingly, and I don't suggest this.. but: my father kept bees. He believed in many of the curative powers of honey and honeycomb, but one of the weirder ones was to allow a bee to sting him on his arthritic hand, sometimes two bees (honey bees die after stinging). Although it's mildly painful, he claimed relief from his arthritic pain for several days afterwards and had much better use of his hands.

Ouch! I don't think my hand would be much use swollen up like a balloon. I'm allergic to bee stings. :)

But if you do, don't try it with yellowjackets or other wasps: they're just a$$holes.

Yes, I had my fair share of stings from yellowjackets as a kid. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to them.

• 9 months later...

Just an update on this.

I've been on Humira in addition to the Leflunimide and Methotrexate for the last couple of months or so and it is helping a lot with the joint pain in most of the joints.

Unfortunately, it's not able to do anything for the joints that have already been eroded so my bent finger, both wrists and thumbs are probably about as good as they'll ever be. I'll just have to come to terms with the fact that my playing ability is going to be limited forever now. :(

That"s a bitch, Mike. Sorry to hear and thanks for sharing. Genetics, disease and time don"t give a rats ass about us. You are not alone. When that obstacle arrives we all have to figure out other ways to enjoy music and life. Let us know where this journey takes you.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have osteo arthritis in all my joints but my left hand is the worst.

Primarily a guitarist I can no longer perform barre chords or fast left hand runs as my fingers just do not bend enough and the second and third finger just lock.

To lessen the problem I bought a finger exerciser off Amazon and use it a few times a day to keep the joints mobile.

Maybe one will help offset your problem.

Col