Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bought a Roland D-20

So the Roland D-20 I bout off of Reverb.com. Finally arrived today! After a delay with FedEx! I was not home on Friday, but was able to have it delivered today. Anyway, back to this synth. For being 31 years old. I must admit it is a fairly decent synth. Although, Roland has improved the sounds for the synths over the years. It is not a very big or heavy keyboard, but it is dutiable. The only thing I don"t know is, if the Disk Drive is still functional. The seller wasn"t sure either, and had n disks to test it with, but I am not concerned. After all it is 31 years old, and I don"t expect it too work? Let alone find disks for it? I could look for a Memory Card?

Anyway, this is just something for me to enjoy, with out having to break the bank, and yes I will spend time with it.

Next step, will be to find a PG-10 programmer. I did find one on Reverb.com for $220.00, but I am going to hold off right know, as I have bill"s to pay.

Anyway, will keep everyone updated!

Paul :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, about the programmer, I would sugest you try d50 librarian. I have no idea if it will work with d20 but it is worth a try considering the cost (free). It works perfectly with the D-05.

I read somewhere, I think that in this very forum, that there are some USB stick adapters that replace the floppy disk driver in some of these vintage synthesizers.

I know there were hardware USB drives and memory card drives that people used to replace the old Korg Triton floppy drive with. If it worked on that, it may work on a Roland. Search the Kog forum under the Triton section.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

There's a lot of floppy emulator options these days. I've used one from 2AVCom, paid $50 for it. It worked fine, but I had to put a lot of effort to make it work as I wanted it to.

The cheapest option seems to be a Gotek FDD Emulator bought from Aliexpress and FlashFloppy firmware (free). Probably there even is a customized for D-20 version of the firmware, since this synth is fairly popular.

Question about USB Flash floppy emulators - can you write to them from the device (D-20 in this case), or is it just for reading?

I have an Akai S2800 I want to replace the floppy drive with a more convenient option, but I want to be able to write to the drive from the Akai.

Question about USB Flash floppy emulators - can you write to them from the device (D-20 in this case), or is it just for reading?

The one I had in my Ensoniq TS-12 was able to write as well as read. AFAIK the Gotek/FlashFloppy combo is read/write as well. Actually I never heard of FDD emulator unable to write.