Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1961798 - 06/23/08 11:46 AM GP Covers
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
GP should consider including a Free CD, DVD, or MP3 of all the lessons in each issue and post it on the cover, then it won't matter who's featured on the cover story (I like the Pillars of Rock and Roll no matter how old or young) I don't like having to go on the computer just to hear what the tabs sound like and wait for downloads...you would sell a heck of a lot more magazines for a small investment...I haven't been able to download my promised free MP3 from All-Star Lessons, it would have been nice just to get it with my new subscription..will keep trying...but this idea could really put GP on the map...Hot chicks also sell covers even if they are not the main event!! take care, Larryz

#1961806 - 06/23/08 11:56 AM Re: GP Covers [Re: Larryz]
Jude Gold Offline
GP Editor

Loc: Haight & Ashbury, California
 Originally Posted By: Larry Zumwalt
...I haven't been able to download my promised free MP3 from All-Star Lessons, it would have been nice just to get it with my new subscription.... will keep trying...

Yes, a DVD or CD-ROM is hard to beat for instant gratification. That said, I just went up to the Truefire page for downloading the All-Star mp3s you mentioned, and can confirm the download process is working fine, at least on a Mac running Safari. Just log in (or create a quick account), and follow the instructions. Lesson MP3s for days!

=====

here's the link, in case anyone needs it:

http://www.truefire.com/allstarlessons

(By the way, for those who don't know, these MP3s pertain to the special "best of GP lessons" supplement called All-Star Guitar Lessons.)

#1962027 - 06/23/08 08:56 PM Re: GP Covers [Re: Jude Gold]
wilthrill Offline

Male 42 years old. I play rock(Rush, U2, Dire Straits, Adrian Belew etc). Been reading your mag since the early 80's. Currently a news stand buyer.

The downside of cd's/DVD's is I lose them, they get scratched and every other magazine that includes them jacks up the price. As long as the internet site is working I don't see the need for them as using the cd/DVD requires a computer anyway.

I'd like to see at least one review per issue dedicated to inexpensive guitars/gear. There are all kinds of inexpensive guitars that I never see reviewed. It's nice to read about that Henbev guitar and I'm sure it is a fine instrument but I don't have $6,000 to plunk down on something I can't drive to work. I'm not saying to not review the expensive stuff but you need more reviews of affordable gear that most musicians can afford.

Also, I love Hendrix as much as the next chap but how many issues/articles/covers can you do on the guy while ignoring other deserving guitarists? For example you guys seem to have something against Styx's James Young and Tommy Shaw. Now granted Styx's last couple of albums have been DUDS and some of their songs from back in the day weren't up to snuff ("Sing for the Day", "Mr Roboto" anyone?) but those guys have played a lot of damn good guitar parts. Listen to the solos for "Renegade" or "Snowblind" and the main riff for "Ms America" and tell me of another guitarist who can make a guitar sound so angry. Listen to the fingerpicking in "Crystal Ball" and it's solos and then tell me those guys don't have a damn good sense of melody. Listen to the solo in "Blue Collar Man" and tell me they weren't the missing link between Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen (What Van Halen did with two-handed tapping they were doing with pull-offs to open string). The point being whether Styx was your cup of tea or not James Young and Tommy Shaw were much better players than some of the guys you do feature (Sum 41, Linkin Park, Wes Borland are you listening?). Also how about lessons on people like Neal Schon, Ric Emmit, Lindsey Buckingham, Mike Campbell, Mark Knopfler and Adrian Belew (it'd be interesting just to know HOW to approximate some of the sounds he gets)?

And how about a column on modding guitars? You know pickup wiring schematics and reviews on products like all of those mod kits you can get at Torres Engineering for example. What about intonation? You did do an article on Buzz Feiten but what about the other systems like the Earvana compensated nut or that system Steve Vai uses where the frets aren't straight?

And finally I realize that you aren't called Recording World but a lot of us dabble in home recording. A one time column on basic equalization would be nice. I for example am having the problem of when I mix my bass lines loud enough to hear them I can't play the finished song over my car stereo at any kind of volume without rattling the speakers. I know the problem is my equalization because when I put in a professional cd I can turn it up, hear the bass and not rattle the speakers.

Well you guys are the best guitar mag out there but these are some of my suggestions.

#1964149 - 06/29/08 12:45 PM Re: GP Covers [Re: wilthrill]
wilthrill Offline

Oh and did I mention GEAR?

With respect to the cover it is meaningless to me. I am a huge Rush fan so make it a point to buy any magazine that has them on the cover but other than that I don't even pay attention to who is one the cover.

I look to see what gear is being reviewed. You guys could probably put out a magazine that had 5 or 6 really good gear reviews and the text of the Egyptian Book of the Dead and I'd buy it. I'm not suggesting that you do this, but for me the GEAR reviews are what determines if I buy or don't buy a particular issue. And to be honest, in the past, the British magazines have had more gear reviews than you although I can't stand their prose as I am always having to "translate" their slang.

#1964178 - 06/29/08 02:27 PM Re: GP Covers [Re: wilthrill]
catfishman Offline

Loc: Canada
39 years old, plays jazz,rock and classical. A former subscriber, currently buying on the newsstand.
The main article that comes with the cover is more of a focus of why I buy GP these days. Is it worth it to have an unknown on your cover? As long as you keep covering worthy players (young or old)I don't think you should worry about having them on your cover or not and do the things you have to that attracts the casual reader.

#1964281 - 06/29/08 09:39 PM Re: GP Covers [Re: Jude Gold]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey Jude, just wanted to say thank you for your reply...I think you have a great magazine and you guys do an excellent job of putting out volumes of information each month...I like it all, the interviews, gear reviews, themes viewed by different articles involving writing songs, even the ads teach me a lot about what's out there..I thought the MP3 would have come with the new subscription and my old computer is not capable of downloads..so I traveled 20 miles to a friends house and even though he downloads all the time we couldn't get past the account opening bit (considering I just wanted an MP3 and not really a new account) will take it to my daughter's house and try again on her computer system...but your answer was very much appreciated...I would pay and extra $12 bucks a year to get a CD with the magazine, but understand it's not going to be an option...you may consider that all your readers are not in to computers and you may be missing out at the news stand by not having a CD of all the exercises...take care, and tell those 7,499 other guys & Michael Molenda that they couldn't do the job any better than you guys are doing in my opinion....Larryz

#1964379 - 06/30/08 06:31 AM Re: GP Covers [Re: Larryz]
RudyH Offline

Loc: None
I read your column on GP covers in the July issue and tought I'd respond:

1) At the news stand, the only thing that attracts me is the name of the magazine. I then pick it up, look through the table of contents and flip through the magazine to decide if I want to read it.

2) I expect to see variety in the covers. If, for example, the cover always featured a well known guitarist like Jimi Hendrix, I'd think the magazine was an oldies publication based on a stagnant information base. Considering that many of the featured artists are older than my 50 years and there is extensive obituary coverage, I don't think it's advisable to further amplify a dedication to times past.

3) I read the magazine to find out what's new, not what's old.

4) I like the ads and rely on them for purchasing and shopping decisions.

5) I like the magazine and enjoy reading it. It's very balanced as to subject matter. You do good work.

6) Although I enjoy reading guitar reviews, I enjoy even more articles like the cable comparison you did recently. I would like to see more articles comparing replaceable items like strings, picks, cleaning accessories, etc. Also more reviews of basic equipment like guitar straps and guitar stands would be nice.

#1965313 - 07/02/08 06:41 AM Re: GP Covers [Re: RudyH]
RudyH Offline

Loc: None
I should also have mentioned that my first impression of Guitar Player magazine was rather negative. After not paying any attention to American music for a long time I decided to search I-tunes for "rock" music. What I got as a result of the search all appeared to be old music from the 70's and 80's. There didn't seem like much that was new. When I listened to samples of the newer music it seemed tired an uninteresting. I was later informed by a music afficianado that it's sometimes difficult to find good music using the search engines because you need to specify particular genres. This is difficult to do when you don't know what the genres are.

The relevance of the I-tunes experience is that the first issue of Guitar Player magazine I saw seemed to dwell heavily on oldies and equipment. It was a bit of a turn off. That was the Alan Holdsworth cover from around March of this year.

The repeating pattern that impressed me negatively in the first issues I read is exemplified by an interview with Joe Satriani about an album he did 20 years ago. 20 years ago?!? I felt like I was reading yesterday's weather report. There are several other references like that. I was expecting to see interviews about new things. It would be more appealing to me for an interview to start with coverage of a person's recent activities, even if most of the interview ends up being about stuff that happened in the 60's.

For example, I believe the Joe Satriani interview would have been more engaging if it started with something like "Joe, I want to discuss your latest projects, but first I'd like to congratulate you on the 20th anniversary of the monumental album Surfing With The Alien... it has become a standard....etc."

By diving right into a lengthy discussion of the 20 year old album it made Mr. Satriani seem like a man whose career has passed, rather than the innovative and engaging musician he currently is.

This sort of negative first impression may indicate the thought process behind your editor's observation in the July 2008 issue that some consider GP an old guy's magazine.

I have since learned to appreciate the magazine for what it is.

(age 50, male, check magazine out at library, play electric blues only.)

#1966548 - 07/05/08 06:48 PM Re: GP Covers [Re: RudyH]
Johnny B. Goode Offline

I think that GP should continue to do what they're doing. They haven't put in CD's or dvds for 40 years. Just good ol' written music. Also, putting a girl on the cover would attract more customers, but for the wrong reasons. This is Guitar Player, not Playboy. Making these changes would make it seem more like [Gasp]Guitar World A.K.A the suckiest magazine ever. Keep Doin what you're doin.

#1966553 - 07/05/08 07:00 PM Re: GP Covers [Re: Johnny B. Goode]
Rad123 Offline

Loc: NC USA
I'm a Guitar Player & this is the first time in a long time i enjoyed reading GP magazine i'm from the ol school & it was great to read articles on the veteran musican's & there knowledge of the music can be an inspiration to the up & coming young lions in the business please contiune to do the articles on the veterans & please tone down on the girls { that's one reason i don't read your magazine on a regular basis because of that } More Jazz Fusion players & Funk player would be great too !!!

#1966970 - 07/07/08 07:44 AM Re: GP Covers [Re: Rad123]
wilthrill Offline

Well I've looked again at the last six issues and it seems you have at least made an attempt to include some modding (wiring diagrams for Jimmy Page's Les Paul, for example) in them. I'd still like to see some REVIEWS of mod kits like are offered at TorresEngineering.com.

I DO like your magazine but a post above reminded me of one of my pet peeves about your's and the other guitar mags.

In a word FILLER!!! When I see the 40 anniversary of Electric Ladyland by Hendrix or ANY article involving LISTS I immediately think FILLER.

How do you decide what year anniversary? I mean didn't you guys have a 20th or 25th or even a 30th year anniversary of Electric Ladyland?

And there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for any of the LIST articles. The Fifty Top DVD's for Guitarists? You would have been better served to have done an in depth article about good DVD's for guitarists and not worry about listing FIFTY of them.

I think you'd better serve your readers by REPLACING the anniversary series and lists with more gear reviews of inexpensive instruments. For example in the Al Dimeola issue (I believe)you guys had a sidebar listing the top ten bargain electric guitars as selected by readers of this forum. I looked through the list and with the possible exception of the Epiphone I had not seen ANY of them reviewed in your magazine. There is a TON of below $500 guitars that I NEVER see reviewed in your magazine. Now as I've said before, I'm not asking you to NOT reveiw expensive instruments. But I am asking you to cut some of the FILLER so you can also review instruments that MOST ofd us musicians actually are thinking of buying (aka we can afford).

OOPS brainfart alert: It was your competitor, not you, that did the Electric Ladyland 40th anniversary. The point still stands because you DO do the anniversary series which IMO is FILLER.

Edited by wilthrill (07/08/08 06:01 AM)

#1966982 - 07/07/08 08:02 AM Re: GP Covers [Re: wilthrill]
wilthrill Offline

Also, I just remembered that you guys DID do an article on recording bass guitar in the latest issue. Very good article that I have already used. Keep them coming.

Have you guys ever thought of doing a Ms Cheap column. In our local newspaper Ms Cheap does an article pointing out cheap entertainment ideas. You guys could do the same with gear and it would complement your Curly Maple "Confessions of a Vintage Whore" series.

Also I think a good idea for an article would be to have each of your editors imagine that they had $1000 to spend on a guitar, amp and effects. What type of music do they play and what would they buy (and why) if they were limited to $1000.

#1967781 - 07/09/08 06:10 AM Re: GP Covers [Re: Rad123]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
So why not offer CD-ROMs or DVDs for sale for those who are interested?

#1969893 - 07/15/08 12:53 AM Re: GP Covers [Re: Eric Iverson]
TheGrooveking Offline

Loc: Earth, just visiting...
I dropped Guitar World as a subscription, right after I found out that you only get the CD/DVD if you buy in the store. So why subscribe? Also all of the stuff on those CD/DVD's are on Youtube anyways.

TheGrooveking

#1996081 - 09/26/08 10:42 PM Re: GP Covers [Re: Johnny B. Goode]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey Johnny B...that's because they didn't have DVD's & CD's 40 years ago...but I agree with you on the hot chicks, playboy, etc. concept not keeping the covers geared towards a guitar magazine and I knew I had said the wrong thing as soon as I hit the submit button...thanks for the come back...take care, Larryz. ps. maybe just a cool picture of a guitar (new, antique, concept, etc.) could grace the covers now and then?

#1996329 - 09/27/08 09:07 PM Re: GP Covers [Re: Eric Iverson]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

How about at the end of each subsrciption when GP wants us to re-up for another 12 months they send us a DVD of all the exercises for the last 12 months for free!! it wouldn't cost GP more than the cost of a postage stamp and would be a good reason to save all of your back issues...this may be a better idea than putting CD's & DVD's in all of the shelf issues as many probably just get thrown out if they don't sell. For $15 to $25 bucks we can buy DVD & CD lessons at stores & mail order houses...but I really dig hearing the artists and watching them on GPtv and would love to have an archive of them explaining the exercises like the slide master in the October issue...take care and thanks for asking why not make them available to us subscribers...take care, Larryz

#2410479 - 05/10/12 02:22 PM Re: GP Gear Testing [Re: Larryz]
mcwhit Offline

Loc: NC USA
I strongly agree with the guitar players who want gear that does not cost a arm and leg. Some of us are just guitar players as a hobby and a way to relax.I bought an Eipiphone Les Paul for $699 had my local guitar shop set it up and am very pleased.If you are not making money as a player it is hard to pay $2000 or more for a Gibson Les Paul or Fender Custom Shop guitar. Also Guitar Player always uses expense or vintage amps to test guitars, why not use amps players could afford to buy and can find. Still I enjoy your magazine

#2628903 - 09/22/14 08:13 AM Re: GP Covers [Re: TheGrooveking]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: TheGrooveking
I dropped Guitar World as a subscription, right after I found out that you only get the CD/DVD if you buy in the store. So why subscribe? Also all of the stuff on those CD/DVD's are on Youtube anyways.

TheGrooveking

It's been a long time since I've visited this thread. +1 on Youtube. I have learned a ton of stuff over the last few years on Youtube and they have lessons on just about anything you want to learn on a guitar. Why not have a GP Magazine series of lessons posted on Youtube? No CD/DVD necessary and it would be great free advertising for the magazine... cool

Ps. Maybe the Editors Office could get permission to put [Youtube Lessons Are Now Available] on the cover of the magazine! idea

Edited by Larryz (09/22/14 08:21 AM)
Edit Reason: Ps.

#2654977 - 01/14/15 09:00 AM Re: GP Covers [Re: Larryz]
beatnickfly Offline

Read most of these posts, don't understand what the cover of the magazine has to do with playing the guitar, but it seems the point of the first post is to have an audio example of the current lessons in the magazine. It's not rocket science anymore, since all of you are already contributing to this forum, you obviously have computers, what's the big deal about providing audio examples of the lessons?? If needed, they could easily limit them to subscribers only. I've been reading this magazine since the early '70s' when you had to read the lessons and figure it all out, there was no other choice. This is 2015, let's move ahead.