Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CP4 edit help please

dazzjazz

Hi cats,

I have made a nice rhodes sound on my CP4 with lots of key noises and a fender twin amp model to voice it. I love it. The issue I'm having is that sometimes notes really jump out at a painful volume, even with the master compressor on. I suspect it's the amp model, and have backed that off quite a bit, but it still happens. One band leader told me the patch was 'too cutting'.

If you think you can help, you can download all the performances in my CP4 below.

The offending patch is performance #4 NoiseyRhodes.

CP4 Performances

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do they jump out based on what note they or, or the velocity you hit them with? If the latter, have you tried playing with the initial velocity at all? Make them all jump, then dial back the biteyness so you get an even tone?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Hi Darren, I downloaded your C7A file and tried out that Performance, but I don't seem to be getting any huge jump-out effect like you're describing. The response seems pretty normal, even when hitting hard. It does get shrill in the upper octaves, and more so with the amp effect on, so that can be pretty penetrating, although not in what seems like an abnormal way. Is the problem in the upper octaves?

What setting are you using in

Utility > General > VelCurve?

Within the Performance, I see that you're using 64/64 in

Edit > Part > Play Mode > VelDepth and VelOfst

You could always try backing down on one or both of those. But you've probably already experimented with that.

Mike

On the CP4, a failing rubber contact strip will definitely cause the "sometimes notes really jump out at a painful volume" problem, although not just in one particular Performance.

I had a CP4 contact strip failure after I'd owned it only about a year.

Mike

I know this is apples to oranges, but I used the little mini CP midied to the Legend cpl weeks ago , and had the same issue. It was either mellow or full on bark . Im thinking its the way the sound set is sampled / modelled . I know the Legend only has 2 velocity contacts v's CP 4 multi . The mini CP uses the same sounds as the CP4 as far as I know. I went to the Wurli sound and was much happier with the dynamics .

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Thanks Mjazz,

I did a rehearsal today, using that patch a lot, but there wasn't much time to edit.

I didn't get any notes jumping out this time either, but you're right about the upper octaves - I will have to do some eq edits to manage that, or perhaps do it within the master compressor bands.

I will also check out the velocity curves as you suggested.

Much appreciated,

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Archived