Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
One sustain pedal, 2 keyboards
#1922491 04/05/08 10:05 PM
OP Offline
I am wondering if anyone has developed a single pedal that has two 1/4 jacks for sustain control on 2 keyboards as opposed to using midi??

www.dandechellis.com

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." A. Einstein
KC Island
Re: One sustain pedal, 2 keyboards
sachimay #1922494 04/05/08 10:10 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Sachimay, you're going to give yourself an aneurism with this, and I'm not sure why you're trying to do this.... but just buy a second pedal.

If you want to sustain both boards at the same time (sounds like a recipe for sonic soup to me, but whatever), put them (the pedals) side by side.

"Do you see over yonder, friend Sancho, thirty or forty hulking giants? I intend to do battle with them and slay them."
Sven Golly #1922500 04/05/08 10:26 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Just to follow up, my reason for suggestion you avoid this setup like the plague is because it's entirely restrictive. If you ever want to sustain just one of your two boards, you'll have to reach over and unplug the cable from the board you don't want to sustain... this is a headache just waiting to happen.

Of course, if you want to go down that path, it's easy enough. Grab a splitter adaptor - single 1/4" MONO Female to dual 1/4" MONO Male (provided your two keyboards are close enough together on the stand), and plug the jack from the pedal into the adaptor, and the two male ends into the sustain pedal inputs on your keyboard. Voila, one sustain pedal, two keyboards, totally inflexible setup. ;\)

Edited to add a picture of the adaptor you don't want, but that will work:

Hosa YPP-106

(hint: if you buy one that has two different-colored wires, you've got the wrong one and it won't do what you think you might want to do, but that you really really don't... ;\) )

Last edited by Sven Golly; 04/05/08 10:28 PM.

"Do you see over yonder, friend Sancho, thirty or forty hulking giants? I intend to do battle with them and slay them."
Sven Golly #1922503 04/05/08 10:32 PM
OP Offline
well, I have been gigging with a Yamaha CP300 and a Nord Electro 2 using one sustain pedal for a few years now with no problem...but I am trying to use a controller, yamaha motif module and the nord with one pedal and it wont work...so one pedal with 2 connects would be so easy...

www.dandechellis.com

sachimay #1922505 04/05/08 10:37 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Both rigs are (from a MIDI standpoint) identical, so how did you set things up with your CP300/Electro 2? (and why is the new rig causing you problems, as outlined in your earlier thread)?

sachimay #1922507 04/05/08 10:43 PM
OP Offline
cool...that would be perfect...thanks

www.dandechellis.com

sachimay #1922513 04/05/08 11:13 PM
OP Offline
I have a chord running midi-out on the yamaha into the Nord midi-in...but I now have the nord connected to the "thru" midi-port on the module....why am I hearing the nord sounds layered with the module when I play the controller....the sustain seems to work for both, but it seems the controller is controlling both the module and the nord

www.dandechellis.com

sachimay #1922514 04/05/08 11:14 PM
KCFF League Champ '12
MP Hall of Fame Member
KCFF League Champ '12
MP Hall of Fame Member
I don't get it. For using one pedal with both boards to make any sense, you'd have to be playing the exact same thing on each board all the time, which defeats the purpose of having two keyboards. Or you'd have to never play both at the same time, which is a slightly different, but still sucky issue.

To each his own I guess. If you say you've been doing it that way for years with no problem, then so be it.

sachimay #1922515 04/05/08 11:20 PM
KCFF League Champ '12
MP Hall of Fame Member
KCFF League Champ '12
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: sachimay
I have a chord running midi-out on the yamaha into the Nord midi-in...but I now have the nord connected to the "thru" midi-port on the module....why am I hearing the nord sounds layered with the module when I play the controller....the sustain seems to work for both, but it seems the controller is controlling both the module and the nord

I'm no MIDI expert, but it seems like you have to set the Nord and the module to respond to different MIDI channels. Otherwise, if you have both connected at once to the same controller, then yes, they would sound at the same time. For instance, set the Nord to receive on channel 1 and the module to channel 2. Then, if you only want to play the Nord, set your controller to send only on channel 1, and the same for channel 2 if you want to only play the module.

Maybe there's another answer. I don't use MIDI a whole lot.

Bridog6996 #1922516 04/05/08 11:21 PM
OP Offline
I am playing jazz for the most part and 90% of the time I am playing piano on the yamaha, but use the Nord for the Rhodes, Wurly and occasional Organ...

www.dandechellis.com

sachimay #1922517 04/05/08 11:22 PM
R
R
I wonder if an AB-Y switch would work?

Keys: Kurzweil PC3 & PC1se, Alesis QS6.1, Casio PX700,
Guitars: Strat Plus, Les Paul Std, Washburn HB35, Martin DC-16RGTE
Amps: Mackie SRM450, Fender Cyber Twin & Studio 85

rdownton #1922618 04/06/08 09:52 AM
OP Offline
I'm not sure, but that Hosa adapter Sven suggested might just do the trick.....

I might also pick up a second sustain pedal for the rock gigs I do, but for jazz gigs, one pedal is all I need...

I can certainly see how having 2 pedals would be nice, but when trying to simulate an acoustic setting, one is all i want, since in my head I'm imagining I am playing a full steinway grand...

www.dandechellis.com

sachimay #1922627 04/06/08 10:51 AM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Sigh... okay, maybe I'm going to have the aneurism first.

Sachimay, did you read the MIDI tutorial link I posted? This would make this a hell of a lot easier.

Okay... when you connect a MIDI cable from the OUT of a keyboard into the IN of another keyboard (or a module), the first keyboard sends a copy of everything you're doing (hitting a key, pushing a button, moving a slider/knob, or pressing a pedal) out the MIDI OUT port.

Whatever that MIDI OUT is connected to (in your case above, the module) is receiving that data; those keystrikes, the knob/slider moves, and the pedal presses).

The module (and indeed every device with MIDI IN, OUT & THRU connections) sends an exact copy of everything it receives at the MIDI IN jack directly out the MIDI THRU jack; absolutely everything.

Is that clear?

If so, you know understand that the Nord (which is connected via the module's MIDI THRU into the Nord's MIDI IN) is going to receive [b]an exact copy of everything that your module receives
. Yes? We're good?

So now when you hit a note (let's say Middle C, just to keep life simple... ;\) ), the controller keyboard transmits that note on to the module. The module says 'thanks', makes the sound of whatever patch you've got selected, maybe piano, maybe a tuba) and also passes the exact same signal on to the Nord. The Nord says 'thanks' and plays whatever sound it has currently selected (let's say you've got the Wurlitzer sound active). Voila, MIDI works, exactly as designed!

The scenario above assumes that you've got all your gear set up in 'default' mode, which means that everything is happening on MIDI Channel 1. The controller is transmitting on Ch. 1, the Motif rack is listening on Ch. 1, the Nord is listening on Ch. 1.

Okay, so now you want to have the Nord stop playing notes that you're sending out from the controller. Simple. Change the Nord to a channel that isn't being used. For this example, let's use channel 16, just to be extreme about it.

So now the controller is transmitting on Ch.1, the Motif is listening on Ch. 1, and the Nord is listening to Ch. 16. Play a note on the controller, and the Motif makes the Middle C Tuba noise, and the Nord doesn't do anything. That's exactly as per the design of MIDI; "if it's not on the channel I'm listening to, I'm going to ignore it" says the Nord. Beautiful.

Now, let's talk about the sustain pedal.

The guys that designed MIDI were pretty smart. They said "hey, if someone is playing a piano part, and they want to sustain the sound, we should probably pass a message over the MIDI cable each time the pedal's depressed and released, so whatever's on the receiving end knows what's going on."

Pretty smart guys, those MIDI creators. \:\)

So then they said "yeah, but if someone's controlling a bunch of different sounds, say some from a sequencer, or from multiple keyboards, we don't necessarily want the sustain on/off to affect ALL the sounds, that would be silly!"

So what did they do? They designed the MIDI specification such that all control signals that affect your playing (sustain, volume, modulation, pitch bend) are limited to the Channel that they're created on.

Makes sense, yes? We don't want to be sustaining our sax solo happening on Ch. 5 when we sustain the piano on Ch. 1, right?

So now we realize that our sustain pedal on/off is going to be sent out on the MIDI channel that it's using. In our example above, that means it will be sustaining anything listening/playing on Channel 1. That means not the Nord, because it's on Ch. 16.

If you want the Nord to sustain, you'll have to change the controller to now send on Ch. 16, which means it'll also be playing whatever notes you're playing on the controller (because they're also happening on Ch. 16 now). Oh, and the Motif is no longer doing anything, because it's only listening to Ch. 1.

Okay, so hopefully this makes it clear why you're hearing the Nord sounds AND the Motif sounds at the same time... yes?

sachimay #1922630 04/06/08 10:58 AM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club

I guarantee it'll work, as long as the two keyboards (controller & Nord) are close enough together to plug in both of those male ends. There are other solutions involving female ends on the splitter and short instrument cables to the keyboard sustain inputs.

Quote:

I might also pick up a second sustain pedal for the rock gigs I do, but for jazz gigs, one pedal is all I need...

Not if you ever play piano + organ in the same song.

Jeez, man, just give up already and buy the $15 pedal, and save everyone the headache (most importantly yourself): ;\)

clonk here

Sven Golly #1922638 04/06/08 11:20 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Happy
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

I guarantee it'll work, as long as the two keyboards (controller & Nord) are close enough together to plug in both of those male ends. There are other solutions involving female ends on the splitter and short instrument cables to the keyboard sustain inputs.

Quote:

Not if you ever play piano + organ in the same song.

Jeez, man, just give up already and buy the $15 pedal, and save everyone the headache (most importantly yourself): ;\)

clonk here

or.... and I've been wondering, unless satchmo lives on the moon, why he doesn't just take all his stuff down to the music store and get someone to plug the stuff in so it works, or not, to his satisfaction?

Rod
Here at home we'll play in the city