Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

I've never started a thread here, but since Dave Ferris started a couple of nice threads on lines and chords, it could be fun to have a reharm thread with audio. We can't tell the nuances of one's voicings from chord symbols, since they only suggest a sound.

Marino inspired this idea with a nice F/G chord at the 3rd bar of "Here's That Rainy Day." So I did a spontaneous, quick reharm of that old tune just now, including that F/G voicing on the third bar. I could've played it better, but the idea is there:

http://www.divshare.com/download/4064972-570

Let's share some audio of reharmed songs here. We can also do multiple reharms of the same tune by different members for comparison. Reharms only, no totally original music.

Any interest in trying this?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea, sk. I have some audio for a few of my reharms, so I could post both the scores and the audio here.

Only thing is, as I said in the other thread, DivShare doesn't let me download audio unless I enable popup - but if I do that, it attacks my computer with a ton of heavy junk (it sends some rubbish even if I *don't* enable popups). I even got a virus from that site recently, so I'd rather avoid it.

Thanks Linwood! Man, now I want to hear you.

In the meantime, until I upload to a different site than divshare, here's 7notemode on YouTube, an excellent musician, doing my reharmonized and new melody on "All The Things You Are." He plays through the head close to the way I do, and then does his own thing on the rest of the piece.

I'm looking forward to hearing anything you guys here come up with.

Thanks Linwood and SK - both links work perfectly, and both are great!

In fact, you've inspired me to do a piano solo version os "Rainy Day", starting now!

Wait for me in an hour or so... (it's 3am here! :freak: )

You're on! :D I'll check back. Then maybe I'll do another one on it... (heh, this will be more times that I've played that song in 20 years.) "Rainy Day" is certainly a pliable tune.

The main thing I tried to do with it was get rid of that Gbmaj7 on the fourth bar, because when you know the song, it's never a surprise.

What a positively fantastic idea for a thread!! Time permitting, I will definitely contribute. I also like Kevin's idea of everyone doing a reharm of the same tune/passage. This could be very inspiring.
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Guys, I think I asked too much from myself... believe it or not, I actually fell asleep at the keyboard! :freak:

I *did* record a decent track (or so I think in my sleepy delirium), but it's in a different computer, so I don't feel right now like going thru the convolutions of mp3ing it, uploading it, linking it... I need to get some sleep. Tomorrow, OK?

Thanks for trying. I know it's late where you are. No time limit, so anytime.

Glad you like the idea, kad. Hopefully you, Dave Ferris, Linwood, Piano4U, Jazz+, 7notemode, kanker and others may contribute. Maybe some who don't usually post their music will give it a try.

It'll all be fun to hear, whatever happens.

Let's share some audio of reharmed songs here. We can also do multiple reharms of the same tune by different members for comparison. Reharms only, no totally original music.

Any interest in trying this?

SK, excellent idea for a first thread. :thu:

If time permits, I'll give it a shot too. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This is the Dizzy Gillespie classic "Con Alma".

It alternates between 3/4 and 5/4. Really meant to played w/ a rhythm section but hopefully you can get the idea.

The blowing section I changed to all 3/4.

Audio:

http://www.divshare.com/download/4068008-63e

Leadsheet:

http://www.divshare.com/download/4068050-e58

Alas I'm on a Mac and can't listen to WMA files! Well I'd have to boot up my older PC solely for that purpose. You don't have MP3s do ye?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Linwood's right Dave, file format shouldn't be an obstacle to a modern music computer user like me! So I'll follow Linwood's suggestion.

Sat down at the piano after reading this thread with reharm in mind. Thought I'd tackle something usually not the target or reharmonization as much, so I'm working on 'Ornithology'. Won't have time to record it till later though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

This is so cool to hear you guys.

David (BeeBoss), I really like your Tenderly and your alternate universe version of Ipanema sure is different - sounds like Ipanema played at the Star Wars Lounge. Very cool.

Dave F, Norwegian Wood is very nice. I haven't listened to your other one yet.

Yeah, ProfD, kanker, Bobadoshe, I want to hear you guys. This should get more interesting when we do multiple reharms of the same tune.

Ok, I'm finally home again after a very long day...

As promised, here's my improvisation on "Here's that Rainy Day" from last night. It's based on my own reharm which I posted on the 'other' thread.

Frankly, now that I hear it again with fresh (or not-too-fresh) ears, it sounds like something played by Debussy's retarded grandson after a few drinks too much... but I don't have the time to redo it, so here it is.

Rainy Day

I'm very glad to see a thread like this taking off. :) My only regret is that being so busy, I will contribute sparsely... and to add insult to injury, tonight my internet connection is outrageously slow, so I haven't been able to hear your contributions! :mad: I'll try to check later...

Wow, another very cool thread making this forum an even bigger treasure chest. A big fat :thu:

For uploading stuff, I use esnips, the positive thing is that you can upload audio as well as all other kinds of files.

Here's a reharm that turned out not so jazzy at all. I like to pick up those really old jazz standards and put them into a new costume. For example, I gave "This can't be love" a prog-rock, phil-collinsish outfit. Here's the lead sheet as the above praised esnips won't let me upload my audio file because of "possible copyright infringement" :P

Gotta figure out another way...

The Dromb Bopper

Thanks all for the kind words - it's nothing else than wandering around the theme a couple of times, really.

SK, I love your version too. I listened to it again (thanks to Linwood's alternate link) and I really enjoy that 'early-Jarrett' rhythmic treatment, and the harmony. I don't think our reharms are very different.

I listened to David's "Tenderly" (I never played it in that key!) which is just beautiful... but what I really *love* is the derangement of "The Girl from Ipanema". Only thing, I was able to hear only the very first part... there's definetely something wrong with my connection tonight. :freak::mad:

Thanks for the kind comments everybody.

I have uploaded the score for my disarrangement of Girl from Ipanema for anyone who would like to take a look. Be warned though, its quite long and dense.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4071412-5ea

and the audio can be found at (just to keep the score and audio links in the same post)...

http://www.myspace.com/anglobrasilianangles

I will attempt to get a part to Tenderly up sometime soon.

I have loved checking out all the great stuff posted so far, hopefully there's more to come.

Thanks. I've enjoyed everything posted so far. I played those chords on "Rainy Day" simply and barren so the reharms could be heard, since I see this as a reharm workshop more than a demonstration of one's playing.

But I just did another one of Rainy Day, a mad scientist version. I may upload it tomorrow.