Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple Logic Studio review #1881187 01/29/08 12:30 PM
Goofball Jones Offline OP
OP Offline
Just a quick question on your review. You stated that one of the editors has replaced his live set-up keyboards with two keyboard midi controllers and Logic Studio's MainStage.

Just wondering which midi controllers he's using? I'm looking for something that's gig-worthy and not going to fall apart on me.

In fact, what all would one need to use in a minimal live-gig situation? Mac laptop with Logic Studio of course and keyboard controllers...but what else? What are you using to get the sound out of Mac into an amp or PA situation?

Thanks...

Re: Apple Logic Studio review [Re: Goofball Jones] #1909062 03/13/08 08:21 PM
Stephen Fortner Offline
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
Sorry I missed this post before - for some reason, it didn't show up on my page 1. Mitchell Sigman and I worked together on the MainStage section of that massive review, so I'll ask him what he used and report. I've used MainStage with a few different MIDI keyboards: Studiologic VMK-176 Plus, M-Audio Keystation 88es and Axiom 49, and Edirol PCR-M1 and PCR-800. Mainstage is good enough at handling everything on the receiving end that you almost don't have to worry about how your controller keyboards are set up, though as a matter of good housekeeping.

If you're OK using the 1/8" onboard output on a Mac laptop, which I did with satisfactorily low latency at a gig where I forgot the power supply for an audio interface (current in the venue was low so USB bus power was unstable), then you've got all you need. For the best audio quality, I'd recommend using an audio interface. Lately, I've been playing around with the Apogee Duet, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, and Novation NIO, all of which are up for review soon. Actually, the Duet review will be out in the April issue, which a few subscribers may have already.

"I'm just a confused musician who got sidetracked into this damned word business..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Editor at Large, Music Player Network
Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine
Content Creator and Behind-the-Scenes Writing Wonk, Damned Near Everyone