Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1880687 - 01/28/08 10:58 AM Roland D50 battery change? Anybody done one?
tonyggg Offline

Has anybody successfully replaced the battery in a Roland D50 that would like to share some advice? TIA

#1881560 - 01/29/08 05:37 PM Re: Roland D50 battery change? Anybody done one? [Re: tonyggg]
tonyggg Offline

Today I replaced the battery in a D50 as part of small maintenance project to have ALL backup batteries replaced in all synths in the studio. Flipped the keyboard over and removed the bottom cover after removing many screws (twenty in total!). There, staring me in the face was the main board with a C2032 Lithium battery in a battery holder. On top of the main board was the Musictronics modification (extra memory, multi timbrel) board with its own battery, also in a holder. Replaced batteries, put bottom back on and loaded in the studio patches. All working as should. The best news was finding the batteries in holders. I havn't had as much luck with say the Prophet T8 and DX7IID as they have soldered in batteries. These batteries have not been replaced in over 15yrs and believe it or not, when measuring the old battery for voltage, it read 3.11V....go figure!

#1881597 - 01/29/08 07:30 PM Re: Roland D50 battery change? Anybody done one? [Re: tonyggg]
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Hey Tony,

I still have a D50 that I bought new around 1990(?). Never even knew it had batteries till now. It still fires up and works fine, so I'm guessing there must be rechargeables in there. No way a regular battery could last that long. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. I'll pull mine apart and nose around first chance I get. BTW, you haven't known pain until you battle the batteries in the old Korg Poly6 and 61 \:D .

Best, Paul

#1881770 - 01/30/08 08:05 AM Re: Roland D50 battery change? Anybody done one? [Re: tonyggg]
tonyggg Offline

Quote:
No way a regular battery could last that long

Actually they are not rechargables, but the same lithium batteries you can purchase at the corner store. The original battey in my Prophet T8 was just replaced last week and still measured voltage at 3.0V. It too was a lithium but the capacitor looking type. The T8 is over twenty years old!!
Very little current is drawn from these batteries would be my conclusion.

#1882262 - 01/31/08 06:19 AM Re: Roland D50 battery change? Anybody done one? [Re: paully]
tonyggg Offline

Hey Paul, there is one thing I didn't mention regarding the Musitronics board that you may or may not have in your D50. The battery sitting in the holder was actually placed opposite of the polarity markings. In other words, where the top showed positive, the battery was actually placed in with negative at that contact. I'm guessing when this aftermarket board was made, the technician soldered in the holder backwards and instead of correcting it, they simply just put the battery in upside down!!! I had to remind myself that it was this way when I found it and to do the same again!

#1883038 - 02/01/08 07:36 AM Re: Roland D50 battery change? Anybody done one? [Re: tonyggg]
paully Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Tony,

I dusted off and read the manual, and it suggested battery replacement after 5 years ! So last night I went downstairs and fired up the D50. After close to 20 years all's well .

I looked around and found a Musitronics box with some cards in it, specifically a ROM card of the original voices and an EPROM card(with different voices) that I apparently bought at the time.

I'm going to take all the voices that I really like off the EPROM card and stick them in the D50. Lots of original, silly internal voices there to overwrite. After saving all internal patches back to the EPROM card, only then will I do the battery swap thing.

I really took the time to create some killer B3 voices, and occasionally still use them. Still a great old board. BTW, thanks for the additional battery info.

Best, Paul

#1886216 - 02/06/08 06:55 AM Re: Roland D50 battery change? Anybody done one? [Re: tonyggg]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
 Originally Posted By: tonyggg
 Quote:
No way a regular battery could last that long

I have a Roland D70 and two Roland RSP550 FX processors...all have the lithium batteries...all are about 15-17 years old. I have yet to replace a battery in any of them...but I know that eventually I will have to.

It's not a big deal unless you have a lot of User Presets you don't want to lose. But when you replace the batteries, you still have to back up those User Presets anyway, as I believe you will wipe them out the instant you remove the battery. The factory presets are hard coded on an EPROM...so they will always be there.

If you don't save user presets...you don't need the battery.... \:\)

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."