Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1880280 - 01/27/08 03:13 PM Konnekt 24D or Rme 400 Fireface
chris673 Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi everyone, Does anybody know how the konnekt 24D is in terms of preamps, converters, and drivers. How is it compared to RME 400? I am debating between the two. If RME is by far better then i'll go with RME. Thanks in advance.

Chris

#1880290 - 01/27/08 03:41 PM Re: Konnekt 24D or Rme 400 Fireface [Re: chris673]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't know the konekt, but I can say that RME has been my choice for about 8 or 9 years now because os superior support, great software and auxillary applications, and very good hardware. I've owned the 9652, Multiface and Digiface with both PCI and cardbus interfaces, and I've been running a Fireface 800 pretty much since they became available.

My other recommendation in quality audio interfaces is Lynx. As I said though, I am not familar with konnekt.

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#1880581 - 01/28/08 08:02 AM Re: Konnekt 24D or Rme 400 Fireface [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

Bill the Konnekt units are TC Electronics. I have a buddy who has one, and it sounds great. RME makes a great product, but I doubt you'd here $500 worth of difference between the two. The TC unit is very good quality, with excellent converters and nice sounding pres with tons of very clean gain.

#1880767 - 01/28/08 01:11 PM Re: Konnekt 24D or Rme 400 Fireface [Re: audiorulez]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, and TC has always made superior quality gear. How is their software and support compared to RME? Hard to say. RME has been providing audio interfaces for a long time, and probably have some of the best support and the best software in the business. Also, I believe that TC has been bought by Gibson. In my opinion, Gibson makes great guitars but have been horrible stewards to many of the technologies that they have aquired. I know that they are trying to do better but again, they are new at this, while RME has been around the block a few times. (It was the RME support that lured me away from MOTU and has kept me as a customer.)

Bill

Steve Martin

#1880829 - 01/28/08 02:35 PM Re: Konnekt 24D or Rme 400 Fireface [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

I know several people who have TC interfaces, they have done nothing but rave about them. AFA support, I've used and owned many TC products and they are well built for the long haul, I've never needed their support assistance.

I don't believe the OP is asking about TC software, just their hardware. I don't believe TC has DAW software, but I may be wrong.

#1881189 - 01/29/08 07:30 AM Re: Konnekt 24D or Rme 400 Fireface [Re: audiorulez]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: audiorulez
...I don't believe the OP is asking about TC software, just their hardware. I don't believe TC has DAW software, but I may be wrong.

Like drivers and such. For example, the RME provides the sound card driver, the TotalMix matrix mixer, the recorder (which I have not used...) and DigiCheck. Totalmox allowed me to remove the console from my room, and DigiCheck is a lot like Spectrafoo, a suite of handy audio tools.

Bill

Edited by Bill@Welcome Home Studios (01/29/08 01:19 PM)

Steve Martin

#1881221 - 01/29/08 08:24 AM Re: Konnekt 24D or Rme 400 Fireface [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

There is apparantly from the website info some issues still with Windows, however everyone I know is Mac, and they have had no issues at all, and love the interface.

#1979025 - 08/10/08 09:21 PM Re: Konnekt 24D or Rme 400 Fireface [Re: audiorulez]
Mortal Engines Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Yeah I have heard some complaints about the Konnect on a couple of other forums...you may want to troll some other websites/forums as well in order to see if the Konnect is going to work with what you have for a system.

http://www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

Moderator:  BrianK, J.J. Blair