A
Anifa Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
See Details here!

SpiritFest

Not only do GREAT MUSICIANS come out to play, there is an INCREDIBLE fireworks display on the night of of July 4th. The display lights up the entire Kansas City area... it can be seen for MILES and MILES and MILES being set off at one of the highest points in the entire City.

Tedster and Henry, it's well worth the drive if you've never witnessed a SpiritFest before.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"
Sound, Studio, and Stage Island
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I was at SpiritFest a few years ago...saw a remarkable show with B.B. King, The Neville Brothers, Delbert McClinton, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

But, this year, as is usual on July 4th, our humble little band will be doing our own "SpiritFest" in Excelsior, for the Excelsior Fireworks display.

Cyndi (you know Cyndi) actually was going to go...she likes (ughh) Dennis DeYoung (I'm not a Styx fan). But, she says she'd rather play in Excelsior than brave the crowds to see DeYoung.

(Sings in a combo impersonation of Cartman and DeYoung):

"I-EEEEEEEEEM SAILEEEEEEENG AWAYYYYYYYYY!!!"

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"
A
A
Looks like fun, Anifa. Wish they'd have that down here in Dallas/Fort Worth. Though I understand that there is going to be some kind of big shindig down here on July 4th. I love those kinds of things once you've gotten past the hassle of finding a place to park. Then you get to go hang out in a huge public party. I especially used to like the big public parties they'd throw in Austin when I lived there back in the 70's. Ah, nostalgia! ;\)

A
Anifa Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
Yeah, parking is a bite at those type functions!!! Up until just a few years ago, the Main Post Office facility was located at the base of the hill where the SpiritFest takes place. Parking is by permit only and it's guarded on the 4th of July for the very reason of violaters from SpiritFest.

Since I worked there, it was awesome, because even though we were on the job; with the building shooting up 6 stories in the air, it put us at a very audible level to hear the jams as we were working if some of the windows were open.

During lunch hours and after work, we could just kick our heels up the hill without having to worry about parking. Our Main Plant moved about 4 years ago, but the other building still exists for Administrative purposes.

Used to be, the SpiritFest was wide open to entry from any direction accessible to the Liberty Memorial Mound.... but since they have began charging admissions, they put a huge fence around the area where it actually takes place.

At one time Pepsi Corporation sponsored the entire event with free admissions, but back during the 80's they were sued by a restuarant by the name of Babydoe's for structural damage. It was acclaimed that the finale fireworks display, a HUMONGOUS cannonball burst called the BEAST, cracked the foundation of the building. Babydoe's collected in the lawsuit, although they shouldn't have been able to if Pepsi Corp. had known the true details.

Babydoe's had built their restuarant on top of an underground mining field. I used to ride dirt bikes with my brother on the exact location where they had built, and there were times where we could feel the blasts underground while we were riding. We lived about 2 miles away from there and our home suffered a cracked foundation that required repair from the underground mining. No one in the neighborhood attempted lawsuits, because the underground mining area was government owned and controlled.

Pepsi Corp. got screwed BIG TIME!!! Perhaps someone from the neighborhood should have tipped Pepsi Corp. off for their defense, but I don't think anyone ever did. I was too young back then to concern myself with big business litigation, but now I wish that I would have attempted to contact SOMEONE!

I'm sure that the owners of Babydoe's realized that there was underground mining going on beneath them after they had built and they just laid in wait for the biggest event in Kansas City to stake a fraudulent claim against a corporation largest enough to absorb their loss. The SpiritFest took place at least 8 miles away from the foundation of Babydoe's, and there were hundreds to thousands of home and business foundations in the distance in between the Festival and Babydoe's that went unharmed. It's amazing what dirty attorneys can accomplish.

It shut down the SpiritFest for a few years entirely, and NEVER has the revived SpiritFest ever came close to the event that it once was.

Tedster, Quiet Riot and Wallflower are both playing on the 3rd... Quiet Riot, I remember as being pretty good during their day; although I can remember the songs they were famous for, I do remember their name which means I took the time find out.... so I must have liked something they did \:D

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quiet Riot seems they got launched doing covers of old Slade tunes, like "Cum On Feel The Noize"...they had a couple of their own too. Generally good ol' fun rock n' roll.

Now, the Wallflowers...I like them. Haven't heard much from 'em recently. Jakob's dad has headlined the Spirit Festival on a couple of occasions, I believe. Like father like son, I guess.

BTW...I see our own TechN9ne is performing. He was working on his CD at Chapman when we were there working on ours...he'd be hanging around listening to tracks when we were getting set up. Seems like a really nice guy. He came in during one of our sessions to check on whether some masters were ready, and my daughter Lindsay just happened to be on the phone. I asked him if he'd be willing to say hi to my daughter, and he said "Sure", and talked to her for a bit. All I could hear was her squeaking "Ohmigod, I'm talking to TechN9ne" on the other end. Poor guy. Seems nice though.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard