Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Insides of a few Refaces

Theo Verelst

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of interesting. I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but I have wondered abut the size of midi inputs and why they went with the dongle.

I kind of hope he also does the CS since it is the one I bought (and love!)

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

lol. True.

I'm not so worried about losing it, but I am worried about it failing at some point and being difficult to replace.

My long term goal though is to go to a light weight, but still multi (3 or 4) keyboard rig with no midi cables. Right now my CS is doing double duty as an analog synth and midi controller with my Kross, but I plan to change that.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

I was interested in one of these until I found that they went with a mini keyboard.

Useless.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Very honestly, I'm not sure it would be great for piano, but for organ and synth lines the keyboard is fine. Quite good in fact. "Useless" is definitely not an accurate statement.

Even for piano, my primary concern would be only having 3 octaves.

After a few minutes when I first got mine, I don't even think about the key size anymore.

And to be clear, while I'm no virtuoso, I do play a lot of Progressive Rock, particularly Wakeman material on my CS, both for synth lines, and organ lines (as a controller for my Kross...now the Kross is a keyboard one should have keybed concerns about more than the reface line!).

I have to say I was dubious about all the hype in the Yamaha videos I've seen about good the mini keys are to play. But having tried the CP and the YC out in a music store recently, I was very pleasantly surprised about how easy and fun they were to play. They both sounded really good too.

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

So I finally got a chance to try the YC and the CP.

I was always pretty interesting in the YC and debated a bit between it and the CS, but the CS was always likely to win.

I did love the YC though. I didn't go through the other engines outside the Hammond because outside of a pipe organ sound (which of course the YC doesn't have) I'm not really interested in organs outside of Hammond.

But I thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't played with drawbars since I had my old Hammond m, and I didn't realize how much I missed them and how much fun they are to shape and evolve a tone. The distortion sounds nice too. I also liked the lever for Leslie changes, though it would take a little time to become second nature, but only a little.

The CP was a bit of a surprise for me. I LOVED it!. I still wish it had more than a 3 octave keyboard, and I wish Yamaha put in a Yamaha acoustic piano instead of the curious choice of a toy piano, but other than those things I found it was a blast to play, and the CP70 sound is passable for a lot of acoustic piano stuff.

I really thought the small keys would not be good for piano playing, but they were not bad at all. I played a 3 octave version of Rick Wakeman's "Catherine of Aragon" and the only issue was the lack of keys, not the size.

And the sounds are great!

The YC is still my next purchase, but the CP may well be the next one after that.

If it had 4 or more octaves and an acoustic piano, it might take a lead over the YC. I really didn't expect to like it so much!

I still wish they made a rompler reface with strings, brass, sax, flute, choir, pipe organ, etc. (Actually I want a reface mellotron...I'm thinking an irig keys, an iPad and the manetron or ample tank apps might do the job). If they did, I could conceivably go for an all reface rig. And I'm not joking. I seriously love these little guys! (And no I'm not a Yamaha employee...in fact I was mostly a Korg guy if anything)

Archived