Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pu$$y Control -- censorship questions

There's a song that I hear at clubs. I would guess it's a dance mix release because I've never heard it on radio. Pussy Control is the name of it. What a FABULOUS name for a song. That's got to be one of the greastest song titles ever! And women, even more so than men, find it infectious. (No pun intended.) I remember when it first came out, some women would kinda blush. A few listens later, they're the first on the dance floor. Catchy tune. Couple of questions. I assume that there are songs that are just dance mix releases. That just go to clubs. How do those artists make money? What if it's a hugely popular song like that one, do they make any decent money off it? Censorhip... I recall reading somewhere that Alan Jackson, country star, had written the word "damn" into one of his songs but the label canned it. Yet, his song "I'm In Love With You Baby And I Don't Even Know Your Name," contains... "Where the hell am I and who the hell are you." So, what gives. "Hell" is acceptable but "damn" isn't? I don't get it. And who controls censorship? Or is there any censorship? Cuts I hear from kids these days on the CDs they buy, they are HORRIBLE. Especially rap or hiphop stuff. Man, what a load of shit they are listening to. Is radio censored?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I recall now... that is a Prince song. If you haven't heard it, it's a real catchy dance tune. Verse is spoken, chorus is sung... as in... So, what if my sisters are triflin'? They just don't know She said "Mama didn't tell 'em what she told me 'Girl u need Pussy Control'" R u ready? Ooh, Pussy Control, oh Ooh, Pussy Control, oh The "Ooh, Pussy Control, oh" is in real catchy falcetto. It's a very popular song in dance clubs. (What do you call a nightclub these days that plays music by a DJ instead of live music? We used to call them discos.)

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Popmusic, i generally agree with your take on this but remember, THE PURPLE ONE has a huge following even though he is on his own. (record co. wise) This is because he is extremely talented. I find i can almost ignore his silly sexual inuendo because i am so taken by the music under the words. Plus, he is a harmless little guy who just wants to fuck. I personally am not intimidated or made uneasy by that, like.. whatever yr into, ya know? As far as what his spouse and relatives etc think... I think he is such an entity that it's just him and it's accepted. Plus, don't forget he is a real showman and i'm sure he turns it off when in private. I think if someone is authentic, and they cause no harm, they can get away with pretty much anything, but they have to believe it first for others to. And i don't think it matters wether your a star or not, in fact that is what makes a star. A real one, not like Alicia Keys, a real one like Prince.

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b] I like Prince... But only Prince is good at being Prince. :) [/b][/quote] if you listen to the bootlegs, he's also damn good at being james brown, little richard, sly and the family stone, the pointer sisters, and santana.... the assless pants were a bit goofy though... -d. gauss

[quote] I assume that there are songs that are just dance mix releases. That just go to clubs. How do those artists make money? What if it's a hugely popular song like that one, do they make any decent money off it? [/quote] The way lots of remixes in clubland work, I would doubt Prince makes a dime off of it. Most likely, it's a white label release. Independantly produced and distributed. Remixers will try to get exposure through these white lables by distributing them to the biggest DJ's around in hopes that it'll become a club hit. The windfall for such a hit may mean that that particular remixer will be called to do a legit project based on the response from the white label work. It's how most famous remixers get their start. Unless Prince fights for copyright infringement, neither will profit. And why would he? It's free, renewed publicity for him and an old song. [quote] And who controls censorship? [/quote] The biggest geeks in highschool grow up to become censors. [quote] What do you call a nightclub these days that plays music by a DJ instead of live music? We used to call them discos[/quote] I think clubs, or nightclubs is the current lingo. ~nel

Imagine this: late 70's/early 80's Frank Zappa's [url=http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/Sheik_Yerbouti.html#Bobby]Bobby Brown Goes Down[/url] was a HUGE hit in Sweden! Not only are those lyrics very explicit, they are also quite "kinky", and still that song got A LOT of exposure at clubs and national radio (it's still a floor-filler at some places, and you can still hear it on Swedish networks every now and then - even daytime!). /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b]I should clarify before anyone takes what I said about Prince the wrong way... What I was trying to say is... [i]If[/i] you've got the fans, [i]if[/i] you've got the chutzpah, [i]if[/i] the songs reflect how you truly think, [i]if[/i] U Got The Look :D , [i]if[/i] you've got the record company behind you, [i]if[/i] you've got the promotional money behind you, *AND* the music is good, you can get away with writing lyrics that can be almost gynological in detail and people might just dig it. If [b]*ANY*[/b] of those things are missing and you are doing that kind of song seriously -- not as a Howard Stern-ish kind of joke -- you run an abnormally high risk of making an ass out of yourself. :) At least, that's been my observation... And FWIW, I used to be the biggest Prince junkie up until the name change, so I [i]do[/i] know my Prince b-sides, bootlegs, concert videos, etc... :) [ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: popmusic ][/b][/quote] Well, i still disagree that you need a record co and promotional money behind you. If an indiviual(s) had as much talent and balls as prince and lived in my home town, and they never left thier home but to perform once a week at the local hall, the whole fucking town would go to every performance.It's called entertainment. Even if you are singing about vaginas all night. There actually is a girl up here who sings about periods.Unfortunatley, she doesn't really "sing". But she gets lots of gigs somehow.

popmusic, I think your first post asked "how can you write a "risky" (for lack of a better term) song and go home at night?". I don't have the experience to say how the stars do it, though if you look at some of their lives, they don't do it successfully. I think here is a risk of becoming what you perform. Hence we have BTM on VH1 !! I think your question can hit close to home long before it becomes gynocological. If I write a song about how my wife can be tough but I love her anyway, what will she say? For her friends and family she'll admit that she is "strong". What will the listening public think, and aren't I exposing my marriage as much as telling my own story? I've had a few ideas for songs that I've scrapped quickly because I knew that the people that inspired me would not be happy. There's only one (that I've never finished) that I think I can use because it talks more about a common situation (empty nest marriage) than specific people, but I'm not sure. Hey I'm a "hobbyist", so it's not like I'm restricting my great artistic sense or anything... Anyway, is that what you meant? Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

just to answer a question club records make a lot of cash because they are records.... dj's buy them. the more commercial the track (in dance club terms) the more clubs that play them same even with underground stuff. GRIMEY is a record played so much in the uk that most dnb headz over there would now the track from my typing it anyway, there are a LOT of 'club music' style radio stations around the world and lots of ascap/apra/whatever royalty collectors you make GOOD money selling records... eventually friend of mine has three 'totally sold out' releases that sat in certain djs top 10 lists for weeks (judge jules et all) and hasnt seen a dollar of it yet... but like all music, when it comes, it comes hard bring those cheques on! papa needs a brand new VIRUS! :) (for the record, i write for live performance and release for vinyl myself... its our lifestyle/our market/our whatever.... you can make a living)

Archived