Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1829997 - 10/25/07 08:21 AM Music Library Business Question
Ted Chmura III Offline

I'm considering entering into the Production Music Library (PML) business and frankly, I'm looking for insight anywhere I can find it. I'd love to hear your thoughts about where you think the PML business is headed.

With the proliferation of TV Stations, Semi-Pro Video makers, and Commercially minded You-Tubers, I'd think the demand for good Music for Video would be great.

Then again, with every home studio owner now able to crank out very good quality tracks, the sources of good production music is likely to increase dramatically as well, thus potentially increasing competition.

So...what do you think? Does the future look bright for PML's in general?

Thanks so much!
Ludlow, MA

#1830800 - 10/26/07 01:44 PM Re: Music Library Business Question [Re: Ted Chmura III]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Frankly, it looks dismal, for the very reasons you cited.

World-class session players make chicken-feed in that market. Even big-name bands are getting screwed because it's cheaper to pay them half the royalties and pay some starving session guy pocket change to abuse their songs on commercials.

It's a dog-eat-dog, lowest-price-point wins market. If you want to do battle in that kind of environment, be my guest.

#1982966 - 08/21/08 01:45 PM Re: Music Library Business Question [Re: Griffinator]
2leftears Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Keep your copyrights.