Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes 73 Mark II replacement top

Morrissey

Are there any reasonably priced options these days for buying a replacement top for a Fender Rhodes? I have a Mark I and would like to put a Mark II top on it for the age old reason of having another keyboard sit more securely on top of it.

Vintage Vibe appears to sell only the curved tops.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any reasonably priced options these days for buying a replacement top for a Fender Rhodes?

Yes. Ken Rich sells straddlers that work great. I have bought them myself. When Steve Fortner interviewed George Duke years ago, you could see them on top of the Wurlitzer in George's studio. (The Arp Oddessey was gone for some reason.)

STRADDLERS

:nopity:

I have both a mk2 an a mk1 Rhodes, tried to use the mk2 top on the mk 1 , it dosnt fit right anyway. +3 on the straddlers, they work nice and fit in the top case easily for transport.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

The Straddles look like a good way to go. Of course, there is an old solution that you could use, if you have a saw and some hardware and don't mind committing to a more permanent change.

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=4838.0. Scroll down to Space Duck's response for pics.

I did a similar Dyno My type lid thing to my Rhodes about 1980 and that served me well for years. After installing an extra strip of metal bracing across the new open end, the lid was easily strong enough to hold a DX7 or two Multimoogs.

I got a MkII top for my MkI at VV for $100. Glad I did.

Anyone want a MkI top, cheap?

And yeah, it doesn't fit quite right: the front plate (with nameplate, knobs, and mislabeled "Input" jack) is about 1/2" shorter than the opening in the front of the MkII top. Plenty of simple solutions for that, though.

I prefer the MkII lid to stackers, because:

- two less parts to fiddle with

- I put lots of stuff on it, not just another keyboard

So I'm glad I got one; my only regret is that I didn't get it 30 years ago.

The Straddles look like a good way to go. Of course, there is an old solution that you could use, if you have a saw and some hardware and don't mind committing to a more permanent change.

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=4838.0. Scroll down to Space Duck's response for pics.

I did a similar Dyno My type lid thing to my Rhodes about 1980 and that served me well for years. After installing an extra strip of metal bracing across the new open end, the lid was easily strong enough to hold a DX7 or two Multimoogs.

I cut mine like that back in the day.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived