Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Indie music....What exactly is it?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The word "indie" came from shortening the word independant. As in idependant record label. Not really all that useful as a genre to classify music as really any genre of music can be released on an inedependent label. You could also argue that a band like the strokes have an "indie" sound and yet they're (as far as i know) released through a major label.

[quote]Originally posted by jscoin: [b]What exactly is Indie music...i know its a type of alternative....but i just dont really know what indie music really is...[/b][/quote] That, my friend, is one of the biggest problems with the music industry these days.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Most of the major labels also own "indie" labels so they can market to the hip. The sound I associate with "indie rock" is that Chapel Hill - Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Pipe, Small 23, Shiny Beast type sound from the 90s. But - I bet many would argue with me. course they'd be wrong :D

Keepin it Reel to Reel

http://www.dusty45s.com/

Like "Pop," Indie has a strictly denotative definition: independent label, though as others have pointed out all the majors have their Indie farms. Stylistically, Indie covers alot of ground but it's hallmarks in the 90s were generally: a lo-fi aesthetic, brainy lyrics, instrumental naivete, and a certain real or forced modesty--we're not taking ourselves so seriously. There's lots of Indie crap, but then there's great stuff like Pavement or Guided by Voices, or Thinking Fellers Union. A touchstone for recent Indie rock would be the first few REM albums.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

[quote]Originally posted by jscoin: [b]What exactly is Indie music...i know its a type of alternative....but i just dont really know what indie music really is...[/b][/quote] Music created by musicians in small, open-wheel instruments. The sound is created in a brass-type horn, however these are mostly made of aluminum. As you can see, Indy music is eminently dancable, as evidenced by the gentleman in the foreground of this, Indy-music, concert photo. Get down, and [i]boogie[/i]!!! [img]http://www.indyracingleague.com/press/2001/texas2/gallery/10062001/images/IMG_9344.jpg[/img]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

you sure thats not that wierd sub-genre called eff-won (or F1 as the hip like to write it) i heard it was something like indie but not.... kinda like korn and johhny cash.... you know, the same then again, we all know that KORN RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!

"Indie", like "alternative" in the late 80's/early 90's wasn't so much a stylistic description of the music, as it was a statement about the vehicle of distribution. As soon as "alternative" blew up, was it not mainstream? "Indie" is the "new alternative". As soon as you can label it, you can market it to hipsters who tire of the rap/metal fusion sound that seems to be everywhere. And it sucks that bands like fugazi and five-eight who have toured for decades and continously put out great f***ing albums (independently, errh... until recently) are going to be slowly alienated by the next big push of "indie" music (which I predict will be distributed by subset labels of the big boys).

Indie is to Rock as Underground is to Hip hop. In other words, Indie Rock has a sound, Indie by itself does not, but rather refers to the record company (or lack thereof). At least that's what I was led to believe. -=ZA

Ya know, in the late '80's/early '90's "Indie" music actually WAS a style.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived