Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OT -- Just a quick story and then a question #1809729 09/13/07 12:27 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
So, in the building where my business is located, there is a parking garage underneath. I've seen a young woman get in and out of a HUGE shiny black Lincoln Navigator, and I wondered how such a young woman could afford such a big expensive car. Finally found out that it's not hers. Her boss (another company from mine) parks it out front in the morning, walks in the building through the front doors and tells her (his administrative assistant) to go take the car and park it in the garage. If he goes to lunch, she goes down to get it and pulls it around front for him; she then puts it back in the garage when he returns from lunch. When he goes home, she pulls it around front for him.

I realize that this is all part of her job duties that hopefully were explained to her before she accepted the job, but it seems odd to me.

Seems outrageously pompous to me. The dude can't even park his own car in the parking garage (the elevator to his floor is RIGHT THERE). Am I all wet for thinking this is weird?

Steve (Stevie Ray)
"Do the chickens have large talons?"
KC Island
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: stepay] #1809732 09/13/07 12:34 PM
R
retrokeys Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Unless this guy is seriously worried about being held for ransom in the parking garage, he is just one of those pompous fools who feels important because he can misuse the time and energy of others. The world is filled with them and they always seem to occupy a position just slightly superior to yours. Think of it as the business version of having to load in from the kitchen when the front door is 15 feet from the stage.

Last edited by retrokeys; 09/13/07 12:43 PM.
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: stepay] #1809734 09/13/07 12:35 PM
keysplease Offline
If she's willing to do it, what's the issue? She's apparently physically capable of doing the task. Plus, it's a break from answering phones and typing! I bet the janitorial service in your building could tell you of some jobs they had to do, which were just a tad worse than parking a $70,000 car.

Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: stepay] #1809741 09/13/07 12:56 PM
MidLifeCrisis® Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: stepay
Am I all wet for thinking this is weird?

Yes

Did you stop to think that he is probably holding her purse while she parks the car?

Steve
A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music
www.rock-xtreme.com
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: MidLifeCrisis®] #1809745 09/13/07 01:11 PM
D
DanS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
 Originally Posted By: MidLifeCrisis
Am I all wet for thinking this is weird?

Yes

Did you stop to think that he is probably holding her purse while she parks the car?

Just glad I was finished my lunch! \:D \:D

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.
https://www.abandoned-film.com
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: MidLifeCrisis®] #1809748 09/13/07 01:16 PM
I
iLaw Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I
This is probably a long shot, but maybe he makes enough money to pay people to do things for him that others do for themselves, such as cut his grass, shovel his driveway, clean his house, tune his piano, fix the plugs on his microphone cables, raise, kill, and butcher his meat, mill wheat and bake it into loaves of bread ...

I'm just thinkin' out loud here.

Larry.

Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: iLaw] #1809755 09/13/07 01:24 PM
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
It's not weird to me. I've had that done for me in the past, and I've certainly done it before.

"For instance" is not proof.
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: iLaw] #1809789 09/13/07 02:20 PM
MidLifeCrisis® Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: iLaw
This is probably a long shot, but maybe he makes enough money to pay people to do things for him that others do for themselves, such as cut his grass, shovel his driveway, clean his house, tune his piano, fix the plugs on his microphone cables, raise, kill, and butcher his meat, mill wheat and bake it into loaves of bread ...

Larry.

That was too funny.

I am wondering if Stepay is now regretting starting this thread.

Steve
www.rock-xtreme.com
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: MidLifeCrisis®] #1809793 09/13/07 02:23 PM
Garrafon Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Fine, I won't use vale services anymore (I wouldn't want anyone to feel "awkward")!

Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: MidLifeCrisis®] #1809794 09/13/07 02:23 PM
Dave Horne Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
People, more hobbies, please.

Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: zeronyne] #1809806 09/13/07 02:34 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hmm. Well, the guy is a business owner in an industry that isn't doing all that well these days, and he shares the profits from the business with two other brothers. Perhaps he is from a family with money. Even so, this behavior seems so unnecessary.

I agree that perhaps the Administrative Assistant probably doesn't mind doing it and that janitorial staff do things way worse. To me it just seems to be a blatant display of power and class (social status, not class as in classy). He'd actually be closer to the elevator if he parked in the parking garage. There's just no reason for him to do it other than to constantly flaunt his superiority over others (apparently others do this task for him when she is not available). I find this reprehensible.

Oh well, I admittedly am in the great minority with the purse-holding thing (which you guys like to remind me), so perhaps I'm in the minority here also. That's ok. Thanks for the feedback.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: retrokeys] #1809808 09/13/07 02:36 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: retrokeys
Unless this guy is seriously worried about being held for ransom in the parking garage, he is just one of those pompous fools who feels important because he can misuse the time and energy of others. The world is filled with them and they always seem to occupy a position just slightly superior to yours. Think of it as the business version of having to load in from the kitchen when the front door is 15 feet from the stage.

Ah! At least someone agrees with me.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: iLaw] #1809815 09/13/07 02:41 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Larry.

Larry, I've got nothing wrong with people who pay for the things you've mentioned. If a person's time is worth way more than it would be to pay someone to mow your yard, etc. then go do it. In this case though, this guy isn't saving any money or time. He has to park further from the building (and trust me it's not because he wants to walk further for health reasons because he parks as close as he can; just not in the garage), she is taken away from her work in the office at least 4 times a day to do this task for him. Maybe the guy has an irrational fear of underground parking garages? No way! He's a pompous ass who is putting his thumb on those around him. Not everyone with money behaves that way.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: Garrafon] #1809818 09/13/07 02:44 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: garrafon
Fine, I won't use vale services anymore (I wouldn't want anyone to feel "awkward")!

Garrafon,

A vale service is WAY different from this. He actually has an assigned parking spot in the garage that is SUPER close to the door. Vale service is usually offered for businesses that either have a big parking problem or will throughout the course of the business day/evening or the parking is really far away and so customers would have to walk a great distance. There is no such issue surrounding this building.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: MidLifeCrisis®] #1809821 09/13/07 02:47 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: MidLifeCrisis

Larry.

That was too funny.

I am wondering if Stepay is now regretting starting this thread.

Nah. I know I don't hold the opinions that everyone does. That's why the person I voted for for President the last two times didn't get elected. I'm still interested in what the masses think though.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: stepay] #1809830 09/13/07 03:01 PM
MidLifeCrisis® Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Nah. I know I don't hold the opinions that everyone does. That's why the person I voted for for President the last two times didn't get elected. I'm still interested in what the masses think though.

Actually I have no strong opinion on this one way or another.

It's just fun to take a jab at you and purses whenever the opportunity presents itself \:D

Steve
www.rock-xtreme.com
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: MidLifeCrisis®] #1809839 09/13/07 03:08 PM
Botch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Maybe he's claustrophobic?

Botch
In Wine there is Wisdom
In Beer there is Freedom
In Water there is bacteria
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: Botch] #1809842 09/13/07 03:10 PM
K
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
K
I would assume the guy to be an ass. I could be wrong, but on the surface it seems that he's pretty much a jerk who feels that he's above parking his own car.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: kanker.] #1809845 09/13/07 03:14 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: kanker.
I would assume the guy to be an ass. I could be wrong, but on the surface it seems that he's pretty much a jerk who feels that he's above parking his own car.

I believe you are correct. I tried to rationalize his behavoir in many different ways (including the claustrophobic angle presented by Botch), and I just can't do it. If he were just claustrophobic he could just park it outside of the parking garage in the regular lot like most others have to (only a select few get to use the parking garage).

Anyway, no matter how the rest of this thread goes, it was nice agreeing with you Kanker. \:\)

Last edited by stepay; 09/13/07 03:15 PM.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: stepay] #1809848 09/13/07 03:19 PM
K
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
K
Anyway, no matter how the rest of this thread goes, it was nice agreeing with you Kanker. \:\)
Hey, just because I'm an arrogant ass doesn't mean I can't be sensible once in a while. ;\)

Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: kanker.] #1809850 09/13/07 03:23 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: kanker.
Hey, just because I'm an arrogant ass doesn't mean I can't be sensible once in a while. ;\)

I wear that hat from time to time also.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: kanker.] #1809851 09/13/07 03:24 PM
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Maybe his personal assistant has nothing better to do. If his business isn't doing well as you indicated, maybe he would rather her do something besides sit at her desk reading or talking on the phone. I see it as he is paying her to be there and if he thinks parking his car is good use of his money and her time then so be it....

So what if he is an arse? They seem to be everywhere it seems.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: BluesKeys] #1809856 09/13/07 03:31 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: BluesKeys
Maybe his personal assistant has nothing better to do. If his business isn't doing well as you indicated, maybe he would rather her do something besides sit at her desk reading or talking on the phone. I see it as he is paying her to be there and if he thinks parking his car is good use of his money and her time then so be it....

So what if he is an arse? They seem to be everywhere it seems.

Apparently he's been doing it for years even during the boom (his business is home building). I like that so many of you are trying to find some good in this guy. I tried to do that too, but just kept coming up short with this guy.

You're right though that there are asses everywhere. He's just one of them.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: stepay] #1809871 09/13/07 03:54 PM
Chris Kemp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
By the way: Spelling Nazi sez it's "valet". Vale is in Colorado.

[EDIT: Spelling Nazi #2 reminded me that it's "Vail". Assh*le. \:D ]

Last edited by Christopher Robin; 09/13/07 10:55 PM.
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: Chris Kemp] #1809885 09/13/07 04:22 PM
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
So key the prick.

Busch.

Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: burningbusch] #1809898 09/13/07 04:34 PM
stepay Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: burningbusch
So key the prick.

Busch.

Nah. I'll just bust on him in secret on this message board. \:\)

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: burningbusch] #1809899 09/13/07 04:35 PM
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I used to have the job of Boy Friday, who did every odd job under the sun - parking cars, getting coffee, - in addition to my research work. It' no big deal.

Anyone who thinks the guy is just flaunting his position or acting arrogantly doesn't appreciate what it takes to be the boss. Not a boss, the boss. The demands for attention placed on people in that position are preposterous. If they can find an additional few minutes to answer some silly distraction by having someone do an errand or park a car, then more power to them.

Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: Billster] #1809900 09/13/07 04:37 PM
K
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
K
He's an ass. I know a guy who was COO and President of a Fortune 500 Insurance Co. Answered his own phone. If a customer called, happy, pissed off, whatever, and demanded to speak to the president of the company, as long as he was in the office, they talked directly to him, no secretary in the way, no hassle, no run around. If he was out, they'd take a message, and he would return the call. If the customer asked a question that he couldn't immediately answer, he'd find out the answer and call them back. Made all the other executives do the same thing. Just because you have money or power doesn't mean you have to treat people like they're servants or lesser beings.

Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: kanker.] #1809903 09/13/07 04:43 PM
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm not going to debate it. Different people work different ways. To judge the guy about it is worse asshattery than having someone park your car.

Re: OT -- Just a quick story and then a question [Re: Billster] #1809905 09/13/07 04:47 PM
Garrafon Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I would like someone to park my car for me...especially on rainy days, or cold days, or hot days, or any day that I might have to walk from my car to my office (everyday). Better yet, maybe that person could come pick me up at my home, wheel me down to the car, drive me to my office, and wheel me into my office, and then park my car (I'm thinking this is something George Castanza would like).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner