Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ears wanted ... Hammond drawbar setting

Groove58

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a Hammond chop he carries. I have seen them a number of times and that drawbar setting is pretty common for him to use. That sound is all over "Live on Planet Earth" from back in 1994. It's a Gospel setting. I have a picture of it somewhere I could try to find. Art Neville is a bad mother-fucker.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Ooooooh, 4 years! ;)

Cool track, thanks for sharing this. I hear two settings, probably two manuals, at the start. I think he is also pulling out the 8th drawbar towards the end. If I had to guess at base settings, the one is built off 8888, something like 8586?, the other has a hollow sounds which sounds like maybe the 1st and the 5th providing the Lion's share of the timbre.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I must be hearing something different? I'd get to it at 800008888, depending how bright your organ is. at times he pushes the last 4 in
HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110

No you heard it right.

The solo sound @ 2:00 the OP asked about was squabble-esque. Start with base sound of 800008888 and then push in the top 4 bars to taste. If you are on a clone straight 8s on the top may be way too bright.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No you heard it right.

The solo sound @ 2:00 the OP asked about was squabble-esque. Start with base sound of 800008888 and then push in the top 4 bars to taste. If you are on a clone straight 8s on the top may be way too bright.

Agreed!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

No you heard it right.

Agreed!

well, it's settled then. :thu:

:nopity:

I must be hearing something different? I'd get to it at 800008888, depending how bright your organ is. at times he pushes the last 4 in

Now listen here fellas, let's not squabble over nothing.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Thanks for the replies ... d'oh, it's ye olde squabble setting, of course, I should have picked it, I don't use it much and didn't recognize it with a solo line rather than the traditional squabble chord voicing. 80 0005 555 sounds about right on my XK1c.

Wes, I think you're on the right track with the hollow-sounding setting that he uses for the short riff in the last half of the second bar around 2:05 (presumably on the lower manual as you suggest) ... it does sound like it has a prominent fifth-interval drawbar, but after some experimenting, I think it may be something like 05 0800 000.

Archived