Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1797941 - 08/20/07 04:46 AM More HIgh Res releases - at last!
Neil Wilkes Offline
Gold Member

Loc: London, UK
Just to let everyone know.
September 25 will see the release of Porcupine Tree's "Fear Of A Blank Planet" DVD-Audio edition.
This will have 4 bonus tracks in 5.1, as well as some promotional video content never before seen.
Content (Main Album):
24/48 5.1 MLP Lossless
24/48 2.0 MLP Lossless
24/48 5.1 DTS
24/48 LPCM
Plus bonus tracks in 5.1 MLP & DTS, as well as 2 videos.

Also coming in January will be the CD/DVD-A re-release of Lightbulb Sun.
More details as I get them.

#1800181 - 08/24/07 06:02 PM Re: More HIgh Res releases - at last! [Re: Neil Wilkes]
Sunbreak Music Offline

Looking forward to this one, Neil. Elliot Scheiner's mixes on Deadwing and In Absentia were outstanding, imo, and I'm sure you were up to the task!

Looking forward to hearing your work. Maybe you'll get a car named after you!

Edited by Sunbreak Music (08/24/07 06:02 PM)
http://www.sunbreakmusic.com

#1801000 - 08/27/07 08:22 AM Re: More HIgh Res releases - at last! [Re: Sunbreak Music]
Neil Wilkes Offline
Gold Member

Er, I don't actually do the mixes here. I wish I could get the chance though - it would be awesome.
Steven Wilson does his own mixes for 5.1 - always has done since "In Absentia" - he even did most of "Deadwing" from memory.
Mastering for FOABP Main Album was Darcy Proper at Galaxy in Belgium (and I seriously respect this lady's work. She is seriously good) and for one of the EP tracks "Nil Recurring".
The other 3 tracks were mastered by Steven as well.
Audiophiles will love this one, as Steven refuses to get into the loudness wars.
3 Videos also included - the previously unseen "Blank Planet Intro", the uncensored version of "Fear Of A Blank Planet" (single Edit) and "Anesthetize". All videos have 24/48 stereo & 5.1 DTS mixes as well.

All we have done is put the lot together, level matched the bonus tracks to the work of Darcy, created the MPEGs for the background imaging in the Video_TS, essentially everything you see.

#1801284 - 08/27/07 04:52 PM Re: More HIgh Res releases - at last! [Re: Neil Wilkes]
Sunbreak Music Offline

Originally Posted By: Neil Wilkes
Er, I don't actually do the mixes here. I wish I could get the chance though - it would be awesome.

Well, there's always the next one! I'd enjoy any involvement!

Interesting you say Wilson does the 5.1 mixes on Deading, because Scheiner's getting the credit :-) I did notice that he mastered at least part of FOABP, and attributed that to his desire to avoid the "wars".

Keep us posted! I have the above mentioned, as well as Stupid Dream (and a Bass Communion that I didn't like).

#1801991 - 08/29/07 03:46 AM Re: More HIgh Res releases - at last! [Re: Sunbreak Music]
Neil Wilkes Offline
Gold Member

If you look closely on Deadwing, it does say Surround Mixes by Elliot - but it also says "produced & mixed by sw".
Presumably that means the stereo versions? or did steven have a hand in the 5.1 mixes as well? Maybe steven mixed the original 5.1 & elliot tweaked them? I will find out.....

Steven certainly did Stupid Dream, FOABP, Blackfield Live in NYC, Lightbulb Sun etc. as well as the No-Man album "Together We're Stranger" (also on CD/DVD-A double-pack but selling fast from Burning Shed) - I think I prefer steven's mixes to Elliots. IA for me was always just too toppy - you can really hear the PT system and the bass is very thin indeed. Deadwing was better, but Stupid Dream just got it so right.
You wait until Fear Of A Blank Planet is released on October 1.
It's a real treat in lossless. Even if you already have the (by now very rare) limited edition DVD-V version you should get the DVD-A.....

#1802120 - 08/29/07 08:32 AM Re: More HIgh Res releases - at last! [Re: Neil Wilkes]
Sunbreak Music Offline

I have to get busy--don't have Blackfield Live or Lightbulb Sun.

Stupid Dream does sound great. I probably have a soft spot for IA as it (along w/ a couple of others) was the inspiration to get into this side of things. Hard to top "Heartattack in a Lay By", but that material lends itself so well to the format.

I think most of all, Steven is helping us all w/ his support on the concept. I hope he knows we appreciate it!

#1804330 - 09/03/07 05:34 AM Re: More HIgh Res releases - at last! [Re: Sunbreak Music]
Neil Wilkes Offline
Gold Member

Well, Blackfield live has been delivered & should be out soon.
I just today finished Fear Of A Blank Planet as well.
Lightbulb Sun will be January 2008.
LS has been completely remixed/remastered by steven as well. It sounds awesome. "Russia On Ice" in 5.1 lossless is a real treat.