Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1795418 - 08/14/07 05:52 AM Does ANYONE make a receiver that has digital outputs?
blas Offline
Gold Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
I think this is an impossible wish, but I'd love to feed my home monitors with a digital direct feed. I have 5 Roland DS90's that can accept optic or SP/DIF dihital in's. Just don't know of a single company that offers a unit for it.
If you know, let me know PLEASE!!!!!!!

Blas

#1797933 - 08/20/07 04:32 AM Re: Does ANYONE make a receiver that has digital outputs? [Re: blas]
Neil Wilkes Offline
Gold Member

Loc: London, UK
Yup.
Cambridge Audio have the new 640R Azur, with 3 HDMI Outputs, and lots of CoAxial/TOSlink I/O as well.
Denon will also be a good place to go & look.

Edited by Neil Wilkes (08/20/07 04:32 AM)

#1799743 - 08/23/07 07:28 PM Re: Does ANYONE make a receiver that has digital outputs? [Re: Neil Wilkes]
blas Offline
Gold Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
So DO tell me more my good man!

#1911335 - 03/17/08 04:18 PM Re: Does ANYONE make a receiver that has digital outputs? [Re: blas]
Speaker Boy Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
I think he was asking for a separate digital output for each channel(Front Left, Center, Front Right, Left Rear, Right Rear). It doesnt look like the Cambridge does that.

That is a unique request. I don't think that exists. Not sure how much gains there would be. But then again I don't believe in the cable goblins. I guess for really long cable runs it would be nice to run digital to each speaker.

Jeff

#1911546 - 03/18/08 05:42 AM Re: Does ANYONE make a receiver that has digital outputs? [Re: Speaker Boy]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Can I ask, what do you hope to gain from a speaker's built-in DAC?

Seriously, convince me that a DAC built in to a speaker is going to be superior to an outboard DAC? Close proximity to both a high-powered amplifier and the moving magnetic cones themselves? This is going to somehow produce a more accurate result?

Edited by Griffinator (03/18/08 05:43 AM)

#1918852 - 03/30/08 02:04 PM Re: Does ANYONE make a receiver that has digital outputs? [Re: blas]
AudioMaverick Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Outskirts of Big Bear, CA,UNIT...
Blas, how do like the DS-90s some 7 months later? What happened to to your 20/20s? My buddy who bought your Cool Edit now has two of mine hostage!

Anyway, I can't seem to find anything with more than 2 out channels on it. I found stuff like the "M-Audio Pro-Fire Lightbridge".

The only advantage (and maybe a good one for some) to is by NOT using an amplifier to distribute the power. With these being powered monitors, they would be an advantage for travel and simplifying studio wiring.
As mentioned, the lines would have to be pretty long before the digital would show advantages with noise reduction.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

#1918976 - 03/30/08 05:10 PM Re: Does ANYONE make a receiver that has digital outputs? [Re: AudioMaverick]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
You're missing the point. Using the speaker's integrated DAC is going to ruin any possible gains made by cable runs (particularly if you're using XLR, which eliminates the long analog run problems anyway)

#1919292 - 03/31/08 09:03 AM Re: Does ANYONE make a receiver that has digital outputs? [Re: Griffinator]
HarryE Offline

If you like digital...

I have long dreamt of a future where we have wireless power (with adapters you plug into the wall/inbuilt home wireless power systems, and then all devices having inbuilt chips or usb adapters, etc. to accept the power signal).

So THAT would eliminate any power cords.

And THEN, I envisage nice, big bulky "digital" speakers that have their own receiver-quality DACs/ power amplifiers built in...you could just have a dvd player which outputs the different channels to the speakers themselves.

It sounds terribly expensive (lots of DACs/amplifiers), but it would eliminate wires.

#1919660 - 03/31/08 08:13 PM Re: Does ANYONE make a receiver that has digital outputs? [Re: Griffinator]
AudioMaverick Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Outskirts of Big Bear, CA,UNIT...
Griff, exactly... I may have misworded it, but the intent was similar to yours.

Edited by AudioMaverick (03/31/08 08:14 PM)

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."