Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Dreamer] #1767641 06/17/07 03:04 PM
Dave Bryce Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
I'm actually on vacation now.

We're down at the Hotel del Coronado down by San Diego for a long weekend, then we're going to stay on the Queen Mary on the way back home.

dB

KC Island
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Dave Bryce] #1767654 06/17/07 04:11 PM
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

KLONK HERE for a shot of our band setup within the Queen Mary.

This was taken in April of 2001. Unfortunately, playing aboard a big steel ship such as this one, there was plenty of echo. It was a good time nonetheless.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.� - Victor Hugo
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Dave Bryce] #1767657 06/17/07 04:29 PM
SilverDragonSoun Offline
Laker Hater
MP Hall of Fame Member
Laker Hater
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
I'm actually on vacation now.

We're down at the Hotel del Coronado down by San Diego for a long weekend, then we're going to stay on the Queen Mary on the way back home.

dB

I love the area of San Diego. Coronado Hotel is a beautiful hotel. I own two timeshares, one in San Diego and one in Del Mar. Beautiful area and always a joy to go there.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive
- Rush
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: SilverDragonSoun] #1767660 06/17/07 04:41 PM
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Outer Banks for us too this summer - end of August and our first time. Looking forward to a week renting a house right on the beach. And doing almost nothing.

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Dreamer] #1767668 06/17/07 05:03 PM
G
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
I just returned from a 7 day cruise thru SE Alaska ( Juneau, sitka, Ketchikan) with a stop in Victoria. I also spent another 3 days checking out Seattle

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: jay da cop] #1767682 06/17/07 05:18 PM
NoLights Offline
 Originally Posted By: jay da cop
HOME!! I go on leave tomorrow, and by dinnertime on the 19th (EST) I will be back in Maine. 2 weeks then back to the heat (118F today).

Jay

Hey Jay -- you're in for a nice change... 68 and sunny here today. Have a great time home in "Vacationland."

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: NoLights] #1767804 06/17/07 10:41 PM
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hey BluesKeys...this must be your cue to go back up to the Finger Lakes for a visit!! \:\)

Yeah, my daughter and her husband live near there for now.
In general, I just love ANY vinyard country.
I've worked in vinyards when I used to live in Germany.
I worked for free cause it was so much fun.
I worked my ass off though. It's tough work for sure.

Nothing beats being up on the side of a small mountain in the Fall, staring down at the river, picking grapes in the middle of row after row of grape vines...then taking a break snacking on Gouda cheese with brotchen and sipping a good riesling!!

YEah, I'd like to go back to the Finger Lakes myself.
We may have to do that again this fall.

See Ya....

Randy

"Just play!"
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Strategery] #1767880 06/18/07 02:11 AM
wjwilcox Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
 Originally Posted By: Strategery
Hey BluesKeys...this must be your cue to go back up to the Finger Lakes for a visit!! \:\)

Yeah, my daughter and her husband live near there for now.
In general, I just love ANY vinyard country.
I've worked in vinyards when I used to live in Germany.
I worked for free cause it was so much fun.
I worked my ass off though. It's tough work for sure.

Nothing beats being up on the side of a small mountain in the Fall, staring down at the river, picking grapes in the middle of row after row of grape vines...then taking a break snacking on Gouda cheese with brotchen and sipping a good riesling!!

YEah, I'd like to go back to the Finger Lakes myself.
We may have to do that again this fall.

See Ya....

Randy

My grandparents used to live in Penn Yan, on the north shore of Keuka Lake....it was great any time of year, but fall was so beautiful. I miss that place.

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: NoahZark] #1767881 06/18/07 02:13 AM
wjwilcox Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
 Originally Posted By: NoahZark
 Originally Posted By: wjwilcox
I've already used up my vacation time and it's only mid-June. In April my wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary with a trip to the Canadian Rockies, spending time in Banff, Jasper & Lake Louise.

My wife and I did a similar trip for our honeymoon back in the Summer of 1993. Incredible place, with the most amazing scenery that I've seen anywhere in North America (and, because my parents were big fans of the National Parks, I've had the good fortune to see a lot).

Did you make it to Moraine Lake near Lake Louise (in the Valley of the Ten Peaks)? Simply an awesome place.

As for my own vacation plans, like Eric, I, too, am off to the Outer Banks (Corolla) for a week in July with my extended family, and then I'm taking a long weekend in August for a mini-reunion of some college friends in Colorado. Got a friend who bought a place out there last year (in Frisco, I believe), so we're gonna give it a proper christening.

Noah

We went to Moraine Lake on a family vacation in August 2004...spectacular! Couldn't get there on this trip...the road was closed with about 2 feet of snow on it.

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: jay da cop] #1767959 06/18/07 10:54 AM
BluesKeys Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: jay da cop
HOME!! I go on leave tomorrow, and by dinnertime on the 19th (EST) I will be back in Maine. 2 weeks then back to the heat (118F today).

Jay

Welcome home buddy, it's always good to hear from you. Hope it is a safe and uneventful trip.

enjoy the family and your time at home

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: BluesKeys] #1767968 06/18/07 11:29 AM
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
WjWilcox...Keuka Lake is exactly where we were.

Like I said before, Hunt Club was among my favorite wines, but Dr. Frank was good as well.

Also, those little villages around there were cool too.
I would've like to have done a little booze cruise if it were warmer, but making the rounds at the vinyards was a hoot too!

Randy

"Just play!"
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Strategery] #1768049 06/18/07 03:20 PM
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm going camping, with some hiking thrown in for an excuse to go. I live in central PA, and north central PA has a lot of state forests and great places to hike and camp. I love to get away from people and have some piece and quiet. Just about anything tastes good cooked over a wood fire. I'm planning on taking my nephew this fall, when things start to cool off some. I always camp in the state forest, not camp grounds. Its free and there's no noisy kids.

Mike T.

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: MikeT156] #1768059 06/18/07 03:48 PM
Erlic Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
The wife prefers that I take "single" days off here and there, thus providing me with a little bit longer weekend than normal. Works out great during the summer months, and we can plan short trips here and there. So far this has worked for me since my in-box doesn't get too overly crowded in that amount of time.

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Erlic] #1768071 06/18/07 04:16 PM
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Wifey and I have been planning a trip for 17 years. We thought this summer would be the time when we could get away - just the two of us.

I've got family in HOT-lanta, so we were going to visit and tour for a couple of days, followed by a ghost hunt in Savannah.

However, we're having big-time PASSPORT problems.

My daughter is planning to study in Cambridge this summer, but she can't get her passport. She applied back in March, but it still hasn't arrived.

So, we're working with our local Congressman to see if he can help us. If not, I guess I'm heading to Washington DC to the passport office there to see what I can do.

Hey, ProfD - if I get there, I'll give you a call so we can meet up for a beer.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.� - Victor Hugo
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: ITGITC?] #1768075 06/18/07 04:25 PM
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote by Tom Henry:

"Hey, ProfD - if I get there, I'll give you a call so we can meet up for a beer".

Be sure to plan enough time to visit Chuck Levins with ProfD. Be sure to leave your credit card at home though, or there won't be a vacation when you get home. Maybe just a very angry wife that REALLY needs a vacation.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Erlic] #1768080 06/18/07 04:30 PM
stepay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
We've already had one of our summer trips -- Niagara Falls -- stayed on the Canadian side. This was last week.

In July we are headed to Washington DC to visit my brother, but we will tour around a little - mostly for the benefit of the kids as my wife and I both used to live and work in the area (lived in Maryland, worked in DC) before we had kids.

In August if there aren't too many oppressive days, we're going to go camping at Old Man's Cave here in Ohio, and we might take a trip to Connecticut. I like to travel in the summertime whenever possible.

We have vacationed a ton in the Outer Banks, just not this year. We always stay at the Lighthouse View Motel in Buxton -- http://www.lighthouseview.com. The last two times we stayed in the Shell Castle - http://www.lighthouseview.com/shellcastle_cottages.htm - They don't even have the best photos of the inside there. The one of the television is on the lower level and is not the main family area. We went both times with three families, so $2200 divided by three is $750. Not bad for a week on one of the best beaches in the US. One year we went the first week of June so it was even cheaper. LOVE that place and can't wait to go back. Next year maybe.

Last edited by stepay; 06/18/07 04:33 PM.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
"Do the chickens have large talons?"
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: BluesKeys] #1768095 06/18/07 05:04 PM
J
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
It's my first real vacation in four years, other than two day trips to things like the Reno Air Races. Going to Germany for my third visit, I love it. I'm a car and racing enthusiast also so a some laps around the old Nurburgring is on order. Driving on the beautiful Autobahn is a breath of fresh air, no SUVs blocking the slow lane, the best driving in the world. The country is orderly, clean and beautiful and I've barely scratched the surface. While there I'm going to a Ritchie Blackmore concert, (my second over there) but with the Formula One championship exploding with hot new talent Louis Hamilton I kind of wish I was going a week earlier to see the race at the new Nurburgring (built next to the old one) .

John

Last edited by JohnH; 06/18/07 07:55 PM.
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: BluesKeys] #1768117 06/18/07 05:47 PM
K
kwgm Offline
K
Hey, I just got back from mine. We spent a week near Playa del Carmen.

It's a bit warm on the Mayan Riviera in June, but we like it. We have a place at the Mayan Palace, about 10 miles north of town. It's a 5-star resort with all the trappings, and a great time was had by all.

I'm still wondering what I'm doing back here in my real life, when the fantasy life of days by the pool and rum drinks before noon is much more appealing. (I imagine that it will all come back to me once the bills start rolling in).

regards,

--kwgm
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: kwgm] #1768226 06/18/07 09:26 PM
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yep, I got to take a lap around the old Nurburgring back in 1982.
The old one before they shortened it.
Man, was that cool! \:\)

My car was about a 72 1802 BMW, which was the predecessor to the 3.
FUn little drive but you had to be careful and not get carried away.

Enjoy Germany, it's a blast!! \:\)

Randy

"Just play!"
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Strategery] #1768233 06/18/07 09:42 PM
B
b3keys Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
I had to travel on business to San Francisco and decided to stay a few extra days and make it a vacation. I toured The Rock, Fisherman's Wharf, the Piers, toured the city, went to Muir Woods, Monterey, Carmel and drove the 17 mile at Pebble Beach. Had a GREAT time!!!!

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Strategery] #1768240 06/18/07 10:02 PM
J
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Yes and I almost crashed my rented Focus last time at brunchen, because of total brain fade.

John

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Dave Bryce] #1768248 06/18/07 10:13 PM
R
Red Winger Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
 Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
We're down at the Hotel del Coronado down by San Diego for a long weekend

That's a great beach and hotel, so long as they don't have a convention or two hogging up the patio deck (a great place for an afternoon drink). We may be heading down there in the next month or two for a week or so whirlwind Zoo/Sea World/Legoland/Coronado beach experience. Maybe hitting Disneyland on the way back.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."
-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: Red Winger] #1768743 06/19/07 09:28 PM
T
The Real MC Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
T
I plan my vacations around tourist season (Memorial Day through Labor Day), the crowds are much smaller and hotels are much cheaper. Being single (divorced, no kids) helps a lot too. I live near the Finger Lakes and I enjoy romping around there on an occasional weekend.

My idea of winter vacation is the winter NAMM show, I catch one every few years.

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: b3keys] #1768755 06/19/07 10:00 PM
BluesKeys Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
b3keys, San Fran is one of my favorite destinations. Is it Scoma's on the wharf that was such good food.

Stratagery, man how I would love to shoot upstate NY and spend some time with my good friend a guitar player. Oh, the cool water calls. Well, COLD WATER, maybe my memory is lapsing.

Man, I am envious of you guys. So many cool vacations while I am hard at work in the summer heat. I did get up to VIR (Virginia International Raceway) for their Gold Cup Antique car races last Sunday. Oh, was that sweet to watch. Nice road course, with cool cars from Bug Eye Sprites, to Jags, Morgans, Elans, mini Coopers, MGA, MGB and lots of others.

Keep em coming so I can dream a little.

Last edited by BluesKeys; 06/20/07 03:48 AM.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: BluesKeys] #1768784 06/19/07 11:06 PM
delirium Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I have always wanted to visit this country, but why it's freaking so far away...

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: delirium] #1768800 06/19/07 11:28 PM
?
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
?
For my vacation, I'll probably go in the basement. It's cooler.

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re:    ] #1768805 06/19/07 11:36 PM
delirium Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: Cydonia
For my vacation, I'll probably go in the basement. It's cooler.

but you won't meet kangaroos there...
(I mean, I guess not )

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: BluesKeys] #1768809 06/19/07 11:39 PM
S
stevie b Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
S
Just got back from Davis, West Virgina. Nice cool weather, 70's, compared to today here in Virginia, 98 deg,
Went swimming and kayaking in the cool water.
Stayed on top the mountain, sat on the porch, and even picked the guitar a bit.
Not a real guitar player, but it was still fun.
Had to call the bandmates for tips.
Got back Late Sunday, and Going to see Little Feat and Doobie Bros. tommorow night in at the amplitheater Richmond - good show on a Wednesday afternoon after a week vacation - I'll take it!

Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: KenElevenShadows] #1768819 06/20/07 12:07 AM
ivorycj Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
My company + family is heading to Austin for summer NAMM, then we'll split off from there and hit Schlitterbahn or Sea World, possibly Six Flags, eat some BBQ until our fingernails are a nice burnt red color, and then come home.

ivorycj

Kurzweil Forte | Yamaha Montage 8 | Korg Kronos 61 | 1973 Fender Rhodes MKI Stage 88 | 1898 Steinway I
Re: Vacation Time, Where are You going?? [Re: b3keys] #1769010 06/20/07 12:49 PM
stepay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of San Francisco, my wife and I lived in the Bay Area (Stanford) from 1989-1993 -- right after we were married while she and I were in graduate school. We didn't really have a honeymoon, so moving to the Bay Area from Ohio was kind of it. Beautiful areas of that city. I was back there on business a few years ago and it was great to be back. Will take the kids there someday. My first paid gig was in the Bay Area at a placed called The Farmhouse in Redwood City. It's not there anymore I'm told.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
"Do the chickens have large talons?"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner