Next Thread
Print Thread
Any hot summer gigs? #1767488 06/16/07 11:57 PM
Moonglow Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hi All,

So now that summer is upon us, anybody have a gig or two they are especially looking forward to? It's rather uneventful here on my end.....just a couple of club gigs at this establishment where we always play. Then again, it's always nice to see the scantily-clad loveliness that can accompany a sweaty dance floor. So where’s everybody jammin’ this summer?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
- George Bernard Shaw
KC Island
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: Moonglow] #1767493 06/17/07 12:15 AM
mate stubb Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Looks like I will be playing a hometown blues festival this Sept. with my homeys. On the bill are Taj Mahal, Tab Benoit, Chris Thomas King, Blind Boys of Alabama, etc.

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: mate stubb] #1767523 06/17/07 02:45 AM
K
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
K
There are a couple of real ringers for me this summer. July 19th I'm at the Slippery Noodle in scenic downtown Indianapolis with the Severn Records Soul Revue featuring Lou Pride, Darrell Nulisch, and Tad Robinson, and then on the 21st we're at the Dodgeville Blues Fest in Dodgeville, WI with the same group sans Tad. Really killer group with Johnny Moeller on guitar, Steve Gomes on bass, and Robb Stupka on drums. Then the weekend of July 24/25 I'll be in Trinidad, Co for a couple of gigs With Tad Robinson, and we'll be having Alex Schultz on guitar for that weekend. We may be bringing Alex back with us to Indy for some gigs, but I'm not sure at this point. I start off the Fall in Norway with the Severn folks again, this time with Lou, Darrell, Tad, and Sugar Ray Norcia in tow. Sept 21, 22, 23 I think for the Color Blues Festival.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: kanker.] #1767581 06/17/07 09:10 AM
Y
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Y
July 7nth i play in a huge football stadium in Istanbul with Omar Faruk Tekbilek, a well known turkish world music musician - we're gonna play for EarthLink, the series of evironemental concerts Al Gore established (or encouraged, i'm not really aware). I'll also have 2 other concerts in Turkey before that, open air as well. I had the luck to play some good open air concerts with my band, Happy Dog Project, in Athens form May 15-June 14, wich is always good: lots of people, good time, good money, our music (no covers) but,also, lots of sun during sound checks (or rains, in this year). I have planned some other concerts too with other bands for the summer: all open air, some of them outside the big city, one as an oppening for a Roots-Dj Shadow concert, one in a big theater here in Athens, one in the northearn parts of the country, nearby the sea! The shedule goes on like this for September as well, with a little stop in August - just a time to relax with my wife, forget about keyboards and different settings, read and swim...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: yannis D] #1767661 06/17/07 04:43 PM
R
raddtunes Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
R
Well .. . .

On July 7th of this year, the date will be 7/7/07. An unimagineable number of people have booked weddings that day. All of the chapels in town are massively booked.

I'll be playing 3 wedding ceremonies per hour that day, starting at 8 a.m. with the last service presently booked at 11:20 p.m. The pay per service is mmm mmm good, and my only "rider" requirement for this day is that i've requested using my own (RD-700sx) keyboard.

Say anything you like about Vegas, but it's completely a creation of those who come here.

Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: raddtunes] #1768041 06/18/07 03:01 PM
steveb Offline
July 29th, my band Elmore Twist will be the opening act for Foreigner at Saddleback Resort in Rangeley Maine. We're very excited because we're 50 year old weekend warriors who will get to play on a big concert stage with concert sound and lights, to a crowd of several thousand. We'll play a full set of our original music instead of the usual covers we play.

Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: raddtunes] #1768069 06/18/07 04:08 PM
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: raddtunes
Well .. . .

On July 7th of this year, the date will be 7/7/07. An unimagineable number of people have booked weddings that day. All of the chapels in town are massively booked.

I'll be playing 3 wedding ceremonies per hour that day, starting at 8 a.m. with the last service presently booked at 11:20 p.m. The pay per service is mmm mmm good, and my only "rider" requirement for this day is that i've requested using my own (RD-700sx) keyboard.

So let me get this straight. You're playing 3 ceremonies...an hour? for 14 hours? This is all at one chapel? If not how can you guarantee you'll be on time to each one? You are getting paid per ceremony? GEEEEZ. How much do you stand to make that day if I may be so bold?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: Bobadeath] #1768076 06/18/07 04:27 PM
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

KLONK for info

The Battle of the Corporate Bands - regional competition at The Key Club in LA, July 7, 2007.

Here's a listing of the three regionals and the bands that will be competing:

July 7 - Los Angeles - The Key Club

4 Inch Studs from MBH Architects
High Definition from NBC Universal
Band Turismo from Sony Computer Entertainment
HR Violations from V Commerce Corp.
Dave Rawlinson Band from Central Washington University
SAS Band from SAS Institute

July 14 - Nashville - Gibson Summer Jam

No Subordination from Derivative Fitch
Strat5 from Healthways
Steampunk from GE Industrial
The Loaners from Quicken Loans
D7 from Darwin Professional Underwriters
The Subliminals from Grey Worldwide

July 28 - Austin - Austin Convention Center @ “The Hang Stage” (Part of NAMM Summer Session)

Unrestricted Entity from Deloitte Consulting
Soul Focus from American Century Investments
Complete Wrecks from Complete RX
MixOMatic from Crutchfield
Full Mesh from Juniper Networks
Trainwreck from Calzone Case Co.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.� - Victor Hugo
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: ITGITC?] #1768082 06/18/07 04:38 PM
stepay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
We have a gig here in town in July and then one perhaps in Pittsburg in August -- not sure about that one yet. Wouldn't qualify either as hot ones. No more hot gigs for this current band. I'm not looking to play much, and the other guys are looking to even less. We did actually practice on Saturday night in the airplane hangar though. (Yes, we practice in an airplane hangar -- our guitarist has one on his property.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
"Do the chickens have large talons?"
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: stepay] #1768083 06/18/07 04:40 PM
stepay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Kanker,

You mentioned you'd be playing in Ohio this summer. Where in Ohio? If you're close, I'd consider coming out.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: kanker.] #1768087 06/18/07 04:47 PM
R
Red Winger Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
 Originally Posted By: kanker.
July 19th I'm at the Slippery Noodle in scenic downtown Indianapolis

That's a really fun place. Good crowds, and the main stage gets you right into it, what with folks looking out over balconies and such. Enjoy, Kevin.

My group just did a "Tuesday's on the Row" at Santana Row. Like last year, I think we may have a slot in the SJ Jazz Festival as well in a couple of months. Couple private outdoor parties, and maybe a big blow out in September. That's pretty much all we've got so far, anyway.

As long as you're not directly in the sun, I love the outdoor gigs.

Cheers,
Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."
-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: stepay] #1768096 06/18/07 05:09 PM
K
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club
K
 Originally Posted By: stepay
Kanker,

You mentioned you'd be playing in Ohio this summer. Where in Ohio? If you're close, I'd consider coming out.
I might be playing in Dayton in late July. We need to get to Columbus though. You and I could get together, have a great big knock down, drag out fistfight, and then I could buy you a beer. ;\)

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: kanker.] #1768107 06/18/07 05:29 PM
Mr. Nightime Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
We've got one possibly in the works, but I can't go into any details at this time, other than to say it would be as an opening act, and I'd willingly play this one for free just to see these guys.

Other than that it's our normal, summer at the beach gigs.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.
So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: kanker.] #1768122 06/18/07 06:00 PM
stepay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: kanker.
 Originally Posted By: stepay
Kanker,

I might be playing in Dayton in late July. We need to get to Columbus though. You and I could get together, have a great big knock down, drag out fistfight, and then I could buy you a beer. ;\)

There are some great places to play in Dayton. I have friends who live in Dayton, and they are music lovers and players (one is a very good guitarist, the other is a GREAT bass player, mandolin player, drummer, singer, guitar player, etc.). The Nite Owl, Tumbleweed Connection, Gilly's, Canal Street Tavern, The Trolley Stop, and loads of others are great places for music in Dayton.

Not sure exactly where you'd want to play in Columbus. The Blues Station used to be a nice place for national and regional acts before it closed. The Thirsty Ear Tavern is still a nice INTIMATE place for blues, so if you're playing that with that T. Robinson fellow, you might do that, but it's a really small place. We've played there a couple times -- a blast! You can e-mail General Manager Bill Guiler at beguiler@wowway.com and inquire about bookings. Some VERY VERY good full-time bands have played The Thirsty Ear...The Colin John Band, The Sean Carney Band (winner of the 2007 International Blues Competition in Memphis), Kelly Richey, and on and on and on. The Frog, Bear and Wild Boar bar sometimes has touring acts come in as does the Lazy Chameleon. The Newport also has touring acts.

As far as a fistfight goes, I'm a lover not a fighter, and no offense, but you're not my type. \:\) Just trying to support the professional musician in the best way I know how -- that's going to see the gig and buying something while I'm there.

Last edited by stepay; 06/18/07 06:02 PM.

Steve (Stevie Ray)
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: Moonglow] #1768186 06/18/07 08:31 PM
J
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Got my usual every Sunday gigs in Venice with Doors tribute Peace Frog, normal weekend gigs with The Blast. Looking forward to this Sunday, not in Venice but up the street two blocks, outdoors in Santa Monica for a large crowd with Peace Frog and also July 4th outdoors at Jans Mall in Thousand Oaks. Labor Day going back to Hermosa, Pier St where we played Memorial Day, but I'm going to be a spectator that day and watch awesome Boston tribute Smokin.

John

Last edited by JohnH; 06/18/07 08:34 PM.
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: JohnH] #1768489 06/19/07 12:48 PM
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I am another July 4th entry with an Independence day celebration in the coastal town Southport. Though it is a small town I understand it draws folks from all over and there are usually 10,000 plus people in attendance.

We are playing in Petersburg, Va This Thursday for Alive after 5. We have a several festivals in August including one with Ricky Godfry who has Don Wise on sax (when he isn't playing with Delbert) and a huge festival in Fayetteville, NC and these will be sweltering HOT.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: BluesKeys] #1768496 06/19/07 01:08 PM
Mr. Nightime Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I actually have July 4 off this year. Instead, we're playing a Pre-4th party on July 3

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.
So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: Bobadeath] #1768502 06/19/07 01:23 PM
R
raddtunes Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
R
[quote=Bobadohshe

So let me get this straight. You're playing 3 ceremonies...an hour? for 14 hours? This is all at one chapel? If not how can you guarantee you'll be on time to each one? You are getting paid per ceremony? GEEEEZ. How much do you stand to make that day if I may be so bold? [/quote]

Yes - you have it straight - and I had a similar reaction when I got the call. Same chapel - at this particular hotel, all their standard chapels are booked, and they're staging weddings in their convention center as well - I'll be in one of these. (and I'll be thinking about all you guys doing the cool summer festival gigs, wishing I was there)

Since I first brought it up, it's a fair quesiton about the money, but I'm not comfortable discussing specifics in a public forum.

Re: Any hot summer gigs? [Re: raddtunes] #1768574 06/19/07 04:12 PM
Bobadeath Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: raddtunes

Since I first brought it up, it's a fair quesiton about the money, but I'm not comfortable discussing specifics in a public forum.

Fair enough. Still though, that sounds like the mother of all gigs. Congrats!!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner