Print Thread
Significant new Nord Stage update!
#1767520 06/17/07 02:43 AM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Clavia just released OS 2.2 for the Nord Stage and holy cow is it a winner!

They have made both the piano and the organ significantly more playable and musical.

The organ gets a much more realistic key click which still sounds good after you crank it up, and better and more musical overdrive, both in the leslie sim and in the amp sim.

They messed with the piano response curve too and the result is a better balanced top end, and it is now easier to control the entire dynamic range. I turned off my split keyboard tricks and the squashed dynamics curve, reloaded the deluxe XL Yamaha sample, and holy cow does it sound great!

If you own a Stage, this is a highly recommended update.

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
Keyboard Corner Island
Re: Significant new Nord Stage update!
mate stubb #1767572 06/17/07 06:08 AM
R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
I loaded it up today. All I can say is I wish I had this update in the last few gigs I played. As Moe says, it really is terrific. I liked the pianos as they were before (at least the Yammy XL set) -- so, for me, this update helps some (from my perspective), but I found the biggest bang on the organ side. A lot of cool improvements added from the C1.

The click is much more warm, less electronic, and the drive improvement is very noticeable. Now you can really growl without sounding crunched. (Before, it was hard to go above 1 or 2 on the drive without sounding like Dimebag through a triple stack.) ;\)

The other improvement is in the organ key response. I always thought the Stage had the best compromise with its weighted keys and high trigger point for organs, but this update improves things even more. Even easier to smear; triplets are clean...it's great.

Lots of props for Clavia on this one.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited by Red Winger; 06/17/07 06:09 AM.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."
-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
Red Winger #1767612 06/17/07 01:34 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Thanks Moe! I know how I will be spending my Father's Day!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
- George Bernard Shaw
Moonglow #1767633 06/17/07 02:49 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I can't seem to access Clavia's website....it doesn't completely download. So I tried going in the backdoor; I Googled "Clavia Downloads" and while the download page loaded correctly, the latest OS update indicated for the Stage is 2.16. Can someone send me a link? Thanks!

Also, is the "XL Yam C7" (66 MB) the piano that is loaded in the factory presets, or do I have to delete the factory C7 (34 MB) and load the XL? Will I need to make room for this sample (e.g., by deleting the Steinway piano)?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
- George Bernard Shaw
Moonglow #1767642 06/17/07 03:07 PM
R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
You can also download it from the Yahoo Groups Site, although you may need to join up first to access the files. The XL Yam C7 is not the factory preset C7. It has more velocity layers and is a lot larger than the original preset. Thus, you'll need to use the Stage Manager to delete some of the presets (in addition to the original C7) so you can load in the XL Yam C7. (It's worth it, in my opinion). If I'm recalling correctly, I opted to get rid of one of the uprights and the Steinway (because the C7 fits me better for my live gigs). It's pretty quick and easy to load and unload, though, so if a gig calls for the Steinway set, you can easily swap it in or out.

Cheers,
Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."
-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
Moonglow #1767645 06/17/07 03:13 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Their website has been acting flakey the last couple of days.

Try this direct link:
http://www.clavia.se/downloads/

I've found that when I click on the download buttons in Firefox nothing happens, so I have to use IE.

The factory presets have the smaller Yam C7 loaded, along with the Steinway. The XL Yam is the same piano, just more layers etc. You will need to delete some sample sets to make room.

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

mate stubb #1767671 06/17/07 05:07 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the links, download worked fine from mate stubb's link. I'll install it tonight!

Analogaddict #1767810 06/17/07 11:04 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Finally got mine to download as well...thanks for everyone's help! Man, this upgrade sure did fall from the sky...what a pleasant surprise! I agree with the previous reviews, the piano certainly is more balanced (the Yamaha C7XL sample sounds brilliant!), but I find the organ overdrive and key click upgrades to be the real story. Can't wait to test drive my "new" Nord Stage at rehearsal tomorrow night.

- George Bernard Shaw
Moonglow #1767850 06/18/07 01:00 AM
C
C
Does it suddenly make it worth buying, I'm sure many will ask...?

Clifton #1767886 06/18/07 02:23 AM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
 Originally Posted By: Clifton
Does it suddenly make it worth buying, I'm sure many will ask...?

I guess that depends on if you previously tried the Stage and found it wanting, or if you are just becoming more interested in it.

I find it to be a fabulous, musical piece of kit that fits me very well. For what I am doing these days, I can take a single keyboard, throw it in my trunk with a pedal board and throne, and I can boogie on stage. Or I can scale the rig up with auxiliary boards as needed.

The one board-that-does-everything approach doesn't work for everybody. Even Clavia can't avoid the truth that organ and piano have incompatible actions. But a weighted Stage and an unweighted 2nd board for dual manual organ stuff is pretty potent.

Moe
---

mate stubb #1769572 06/21/07 03:39 PM
M
Gold Member
Gold Member
M
I loaded 2.2 into my Stage Compact and did a gig with it last night - I also brought my CX3 - I have to say Nord did a nice job improving the B3 sound - the percussion sounds better no doubt about it - I didn't hear any difference in the piano - I have the XL Yamaha loaded - sounded the same to me - but the B3 sounds as good as my CX3 - maybe even a little better

Last edited by Jamey Was Right; 06/21/07 03:48 PM.
Moon Zero Two #1769575 06/21/07 03:44 PM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
The Yamaha sounds absolutely marvelous to me Jamey. What speakers are you playing through? Stereo or mono?

Moe
---

mate stubb #1769581 06/21/07 03:59 PM
M
Gold Member
Gold Member
M
sorry I edited my post and deleted the slam of the piano sound - it was gratitous (sp) - I have posted previously about how I hate the piano sound of the Stage and didn't want to hijack this thread - I have tried the stage with all kinds of speakers - stereo makes it sound a little better and when I midi it to a weighed action controller it responds a little better but it just doesn't do it for me - I think it is an awful piano sound. I bought a GEM RPX and use that for piano sounds and it sounds much much much better IMHO - even from the Stage Compact semi weighed action. I guess it just a matter of opinion - that love it or hate it view point - I am glad you like it but I hate it - it is thin and brittle - At home I use a K2600X and Ivory and they sound much better - I have tried the stage through studio monitors - BX8a's - and sure it sounds better that through Barbetta's but not as good as the K or Ivory or GEM

That being said I haven't sold the Stage because I love the design, the rhodes are great, and now the B3 is as good as my CX3. I love the tweakability and weight.

But the Piano doesn't do it for me - I also don't care for the synth section - good for a pad behind an ep but otherwise pretty weak.

Again sorry to hijack this - the 2.2 upgrade is really good - the B3 is definitely better

Moon Zero Two #1769896 06/22/07 02:57 AM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
I might try it again after 2.2 as I really did not like the piano when the unit was first released.

This post edited for speling.
RABid #1769903 06/22/07 03:29 AM
J
J
The piano's haven't done it for me either, I've been taking a Yam CP33 to gigs that are mostly piano, I prefer the heavier action also, but, .... this is a major improvement with the piano sound. The top end use to just not be present enough but now it really sings, I'm going to try it again and see if it works live. Let's see, Saturday night, I'll check back Monday.

John

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard