Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1761565 - 06/03/07 02:52 PM Stand-alone midi modulation wheel?
Rimas Offline

Loc: United States
Hey guys,

The axe that I'm using for my midi controller is a yamaha p90 stage piano and I am running Scarbee's VKC through it. I normally don't use a modulation wheel for anything, however on the wurli sample set you can control the vibrato with a modulation wheel..

Right now to controll the vibrato I have a M-Audio Oxygen 8 controller plugged in as well. The only reason I have this is to have access to the modulation wheel.

So my question is, is there any company that makes a midi controller that is simply a modulation wheel, or has a knob to get to midi control channel #1?

What would be a simpler way of having access to a mod wheel without using the oxygen keyboard?

Please let me know if you have any advice.

Thanks!

Edited by Rimas Simaitis (06/03/07 02:53 PM)

KC Island
#1761652 - 06/03/07 05:48 PM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: Rimas]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
There's nothing on the market that's just a mod wheel (a pretty small market for such a device, I'd think ;\) ).

However, there is a solution. Get an expression pedal, such as the Yamaha FC-7, Roland EV-5 or M-Audio EX-P, and get one of these:

MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller

This will generate continuous MIDI controller messages of your choosing based on the pedal input, so simply program it to transmit MIDI CC 01h, plug the Pedal Controller inline between the P90 and your PC, and voila.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Sven Golly (06/03/07 05:49 PM)

#1761708 - 06/03/07 07:21 PM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: Sven Golly]
Bob Rinker Offline

Loc: IDaho, USA
Doepfer sells the raw mod wheels - look here, then click on products (to the left), then on Others, and finally on accessories/spare parts. Single and dual mod wheels are about 2/3 down the page. These in conjunction with the pedal controller Sven talks about might do the trick?

- Bob

#1761816 - 06/03/07 11:55 PM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: Bob Rinker]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: Bob Rinker
Doepfer sells the raw mod wheels - look here, then click on products (to the left), then on Others, and finally on accessories/spare parts. Single and dual mod wheels are about 2/3 down the page. These in conjunction with the pedal controller Sven talks about might do the trick?

That's a heck of a lot of effort, especially considering the travel of the pot in the mod wheel is only 40% of it's full range. Sure, if someone wants a weekend project it's an option, but wouldn't life just be simpler using something that works off the shelf, especially when the solution doesn't require you to take your hands off the board? ;\)

(and I say this having a degree in EE, so I'm not afraid of the smell of solder in the morning... ;\) )

Edited by Sven Golly (06/03/07 11:56 PM)

#1761911 - 06/04/07 08:46 AM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: Sven Golly]
AUSSIEKEYS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: the land of OZ
rimas

I am surprised no one has built one
years ago I looked for the same when I swithched over to Digital Pianos
I initially bought a GEM prp7 digital piano because it had a mod/pitch toggle and loved it but sold it on because it had terrible sustain implementation ..otherwise I would had kept it for its mod wheel that was situated above the keys keeping the piano smaller.

When I sold that I searched for an add on mod/pitch bend wheel as my need was more for pitch bend on other sounds but all I could find were bulky tabletop units put out by say yamaha name not remembered..[mc something maybe]

all we want is a unit the size of the midi solutions box that could be fixed on end of keyboard and pluged into the midi socket ...I believe not a complicated manufacture and with the increasing use of digital pianos I think a small market for a small company making custom units.

Ill bet there is more people who would agree...I for one find playing synth on a weighted keyboard ok if only I had a pitch bend...as it is now i have to carry a synth on top...
i would love to bend when I have no need to lug another keyboard

a nitch market for an enterprising cottage industry hands on midi builder who can just build them as ordered.
infact i am surprised midi solutions doesnt have one...truley.

#1762221 - 06/04/07 04:56 PM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: AUSSIEKEYS]
MikeNZ Offline

Behringer makes the BCN-44 which is a very small, battery powered MIDI controller box. It has 4 assignable knobs and 4 assignable buttons. If you are happy to twist a knob to control the modulation rather than push a large wheel, this will do the trick for $50.

http://www.music123.com/Behringer-BCN44-i156876.music

There is also the CME GPP-3 which is a MIDI piano pedal board with 2 switch pedals and one continuous pedal. The CC pedal is spring loaded so you can't press and forget, but it might work for you. $99 from Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPP3/

Michael

#1762975 - 06/06/07 12:15 AM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: MikeNZ]
Noah Vail Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
How about snagging a used Korg Kaoss Pad? Its touchscreen will send pitchbend and mod controllers via its MIDI out, and you'll get some great effects processing to boot. Original MP-1 on eBay right now for $50, and an MP-2 for $41.

#1762991 - 06/06/07 01:38 AM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: Rimas]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
The long discontinued Yamaha MCS2 would do what you're asking but it is a rare beast.

MCS2 Manual

Busch.

#1763018 - 06/06/07 05:58 AM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: Noah Vail]
Tusker Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Saddle Ridge
 Originally Posted By: Noah Vail
How about snagging a used Korg Kaoss Pad? Its touchscreen will send pitchbend and mod controllers via its MIDI out, and you'll get some great effects processing to boot. Original MP-1 on eBay right now for $50, and an MP-2 for $41.

Dunno about mp1 and mp2, but mp3 does not send pitch-bend, only continuous controllers, notes and triggers. You can map a pitch bend to a cc in the mod matrix of your synth if you want to bend pitch with it, but it happens at the lower (cc) resolution.

Jerry

#1763042 - 06/06/07 09:01 AM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: Tusker]
Kayvon Offline
Gold Member

Loc: London
Kaoss pad 1 sends out pitch bend. It's slightly annoying though as modulation can only be applied from the very bottom of the Y axis instead of half way up which would be more convenient as that's where it's most comfortable to do pitch bends. You can just switch off the mod or pitch bend as you see fit though.

#1763317 - 06/06/07 07:11 PM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: burningbusch]
AUSSIEKEYS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: the land of OZ
 Originally Posted By: burningbusch
The long discontinued Yamaha MCS2 would do what you're asking but it is a rare beast.

MCS2 Manual

Busch.

yes yes that was the one I was suggesting but as busch said hard to find but also is still to large
infact it is possible to find a small enough extra keyboard not much bigger than the mcs2 so it really is not quite the solution being due to its size,

but yes that was the one I had considered and yes it was not easy to find.

#1779856 - 07/11/07 11:35 AM Re: Stand-alone midi modulation wheel? [Re: AUSSIEKEYS]
Rimas Offline

Loc: United States
Hey guys, a quick thought.

In this rig I am also using a Hammond XK-3. Is there any way I can simply assign the modulation wheel on the XK-3 send its signal to the Scarbee VKC? I don't use the modulation wheel on the XK-3 for anything else, so hopefully there is a way...

Thanks!

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner