Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vibrandoneon - a beautiful, wood, pro melodica...

http://www.akkordeon-maurer.de/documents/d/Blas-Akkordeons-Dateien/vibrandoneon-piano.jpg

Reviewed in this month's KB mag at page 20. This is just beautiful sounding! here is an audio clip: http://www.akkordeon-maurer.de/musik/vibrandoneon/-lavieenrose.mp3

WHERE DO I GET ONE?

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

beautiful. A friend of mine plays one. It sounds like a bandoneon, but it can be more expressive IMO, as you blow the air in it and you can play just like any other woodwind. It's very melodic, especially for argentinian tangos (but i think also for jazz, singer/songwriter stuff or pop a la Steely Dan). It's not easy to play, though.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

WHERE DO I GET ONE?

Well, they're distributed by Victoria Accordions in Italy, who unfortunately doesn't have any N.American distribution listed on their website, but you can contact them at the following:

VICTORIA ACCORDIONS COMPANY srl

Via IV Novembre 57/A

Italy - 60022 Castelfidardo (An)

+39-071-780004

+39-071-7822593

E-Mail: victoria@accordions.it

Gorgeous. I've recently started using melodica on a gig with a Brazilian group where we do some less-known forms that call for a double reed like this (Fruevo dance form). The melodica I have is a cheapy, nothing like this...but people love the sound. The great thing about it is that you can do all kinds of effects that connect you directly to the instrument via your lungs. Fluttertongue is one. Another--I'll hold down a chord, but articulate it with my tongue. It really opens up a new form of expression, and the sound as well as the playing approach is very organic and human. You have to breathe to play it...you run out of breath; it's subject to life frailties in a way that some other axes aren't, and people HEAR that, even if they can't communicate that that's what they're experiencing.

VLH

The melodica I have is a cheapy, nothing like this...but people love the sound.

It's bizzare with all those instruments considered as "cheap" ones. People usually seem to pay more attention to a melodica, vibradoneon or any other "strange" instrument than on a real hammond or rhodes. It happened to me so many times to have comments on "this... piano? what was THAT you were blowin' in?" when my flashy electro, or my rhodes were set up right there, in front of them, on stage...

It really isn't about whether a hand made Melodica is sexier than a Rhodes, Wurly or B3. It is about sharing information. A Melodica is hardly any more 'strange' an instrument than a vintage electromechanical instrument. I think authentic (not sampled) instruments have an innate excitement and originality about them. This includes accordions and Melodicas. Just listen to the mp3's of the Vibradoneon

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

yes i agree with you. It's about sharing info and the "image factor "as well IMHO. Something that looks and feels much morenatural than the keys...I listened to the demos, and liked them. As i wrote, a friend of mine plays a vibradoneon (with knobs tought) and the sound is awsome, full of warmth and so sweet!

• 11 years later...

It appears this manufacturer has stopped selling melodicas. I must have missed this thread the first time around, but found it by accident while searching for some way to buy a Vibrandoneon after hearing some demos at YouTube tonight during unrelated research of Colombian and Mexican accordions. Such is the internet...

https://www.accordions.it/en/catalogue/button-accordions/bandoneon-en/

My favourite accordion player, Richard Galliano, plays their button accordions. I have some incredible Bach transcriptions that he recorded on that instrument. I think the Victoria line has the richest, sweetest, and most balanced tone of any.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum, Hohner have just released a "reggae" melodica, in the colours of Jamaica, but otherwise an AirBoard with different colours and no other differences.

I spotted that by accident, searched out some YouTube demos while simultaneously reviewing Hohner's complicated button accordion line-up, and somehow one or the other brought me to the Vibrandoneon demo:

In that particular celtic-inspired demo, it sounds the least harmonica-like of the 13 models compared.

The one I like the most though is the Hohner Claviola, produced only for a few months in the 1990's and thus rarer than hen's teeth. Worn like an accordion, it has pipes of different length. Same inventor as Pianet and Clavinet.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I spotted that by accident, searched out some YouTube demos while simultaneously reviewing Hohner's complicated button accordion line-up, and somehow one or the other brought me to the Vibrandoneon demo:

Thanks for finding & posting, thoroughly enjoyed this. Wish all keyboard shootouts were like this.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Just a couple of things to know.

(When they were still manufactured) ...

Cost: above $2k.

Bandoneon sound comes from two sets of reeds, unlike the single set in a melodica. Much harder to blow.

5 years ago they popped up on eBay occasionally at list price. But none in the past 4 years.

I also just found out that Victoria was making several of Hohner's specialty accordions, or at least helping design them and supplying the reeds.

This came out of some research into the Morgane/Merlin/Galaad two-row diatonic accordions that have less vibrato in order to better match the needs of Gaelic, Breton, Galician, and French traditional music. Unfortunately the series was canceled, as was the similar Sandpiper series (different company, but they pulled out of that specialty market).

Too bad I didn't know about these while they were available. I see a few at out-of-country web stores and on eBay, but they're all tuned in fifths, and the Celtic musicians recommend to buy a B/C model as the music was built upon how that changes phrasing and trills/etc.

Mark, glad you resurrected this thread.

I've been looking for a melocia, myself.

I had one of the old Green Hohner ones, with the tiny keys...long gone....

Wish I still had it.

My first instrument (and love) was the accordion.

I still have a couple of 120 stradells (standard) bass models, but would love to experiment with the freebass systems, as well as chromartic button B and/or C systems.

Do you know of anyone who is doing this, in our "keyboard corner community"?

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Hohner has some ocarina-like melodicas now that are diatonic or maybe chromatic but limited in range, as they have alto and soprano models, etc. They actually sound pretty good in the videos, but I'd think they'd be less satisfying AND more difficult ergonomically.

Man, new bucket list item? One of them gorgeous Victoria natural wood accordions. There's some serious stuff going on in those youtube videos. Amazing instruments. Yes, I'm willing to spend the time to learn how to play it.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Mark, glad you resurrected this thread.

I've been looking for a melocia, myself.

I had one of the old Green Hohner ones, with the tiny keys...long gone....

Wish I still had it.

My first instrument (and love) was the accordion.

I still have a couple of 120 stradells (standard) bass models, but would love to experiment with the freebass systems, as well as chromartic button B and/or C systems.

Do you know of anyone who is doing this, in our "keyboard corner community"?

I picked up accordion as my second instrument when I was 8. It's been a while but I still gig pretty regularly with only the accordion, or with the accordion and Motif. My main accordion has the FreeBass system, but I haven't learned much with it yet. I have a smaller wet-tuned instrument for band stuff that needs that sound where I am also playing keyboards. And then there are the numerous accordions that people have "dumped" on me. Some work, some don't currently. I recently acquired a Pigini C-system chromatic accordion, but it needs work before I can start learning that system.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Damn, I had to Svengle wet-tuned and FreeBass accordions. Who knew?

Listening to some YouTube videos, I find myself liking the wet-tuned sound. If I'm looking for an accordion to add in to a duo (mind you, I'm a hack...this is just to play on a couple songs), is were-tuned the way to go??

I don't know; maybe go for de-tuned instead of were-tuned, unless you're trying to attract the long-haired set.

I personally seem to prefer dry-tuned and two-voice; the Vallenato style three-voice accordions don't sound nuanced enough for me. But if I wanted one, I'd get it in purple:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Hohner/El-Rey-Del-Vallenato-FBbEb-Accordion.gc

From what I've heard, the celt/breton/etc. scene is drying up outside of western Europe, but the Tex-Mex/Tejano/Norteno/Banda/Mariachi/etc. market is taking off like a rocket worldwide.

Apparently that's why Hohner and others are quickly reformulating their product lines away from Occidental and towards the Latino market.

speaking about melodica, in this vid Cory Henry jamming with Dr lonnie Smith, playing a suzuki pro 37 (<-- awesome model. got one, my favorite melodica, far from all)

unfortunatly, the soundtrack isn't so good, but anyway, it rocks

[video:youtube]

Zarenbourg, gemini desktop , Zoom R24

I like the Suzuki Pro 37 better than the Hammond model that I sold, but of course it has fewer keys. Actually, maybe that's to its advantage, as it may have allowed for better voicing of the reeds in the range that it DOES support.

It's possibly I may buy one of those at a later date, but I still dislike the ergonomics of the keybeds on melodicas, which is why the Vibrandoneon appeals. But I'm more likely to get back to a standard accordion instead, exploring ones that are new-to-me (diatonic models, button-based).