Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FC-7 vs Hammond EXP50/EXP100F

Six-string-man

Last month, I bought a Hammond SK1, and have been using it with a Yamaha FC-7 for swells. I WAS reasonably happy with this, due mainly to this previous post from Aidan:

SSM, I had an EXP100F, which I used with my XK system. The EXP 50 is basically the same pedal as that but without the kick-switch for the Leslie speed.

The EXP100F was built like a tank and felt very authentic compared with an FC7 (which I also own). However, unless you're a Hammond purist or you need to attach it to a Hammond pedal set (both the 100 and 50 come with their own mounting brackets for that job), I think you'd be perfectly happy with the Yamaha.

Put it this way. I haven't felt yet moved to order the EXP 50 for my SK1 yet.

UNQUOTE

However, CEB and I were posting on another thread, and I am now wondering. He wrote (re the EXP-100F vs the FC-7)

Travel, smoothness, the height, the platform. It is an organ swell pedal not a synth CV pedal. Also it isn't a post preamp volume control. When you push a Hammond pedal you increase the overdrive, you are slamming the preamp harder when you mash the gas pedal. I'm not sure how these non Hammonds do it.

I use the EXP-100F. I think the EXP-50 utilizes algorithms that simulates this. Ive ran a standard CV pedals into my clone but it don't work the same. The curves are totally different than what I get from the Hammond optical pedal.

UNQUOTE

I respect both Aidan & CEB's knowledge, but they seem to be at odds here.

My Questions:

I'm away from home atm, but I believe that there may be an adjustment for the curve in the SK1? Maybe this could help with the FC-7 ?

I have a long throw pedal for the Mojo, and this has a sort of built up "block" under my foot, it's like putting your foot on a platform before using it. Does anyone know if this is similar to the Hammond pedals that CEB is talking about?

Are the two Hammond pedals the same with regard to the overdrive? I thought the only difference between them was the Leslie switch on the EXP 100 F. Does the FC-7 fail to work the Hammond overdrive?

I would be willing to buy a Hammond pedal, if it was going to give me a better playing experience, especially with regard to the overdrive, but I'm not sure whether this will be the case. If the Hammond is better, do I go for the 50, or the 100? Is the added Leslie switch the only difference, or, as CEB says are there algorithms in the 50, and if there are, does that make it an "inferior" pedal.

Unfortunately, There is no way I can get access to a Hammond pedal without actually buying one. I'm at a bit of a loss here, and hoping for advice from JMcS or another Hammond-ophile.

Thanks, SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EXP-100F uses a light bulb, filter and light sensitive resistor to provide the expression change information. The EXP-50 uses a potentiometer. They actually both do the same thing which is control a voltage that the instruments use to determine pedal position. The benefit of the light/resistor method is in the smoothness particularly over time. A pot can eventually wear or get dirty and then the resistance can start to change erratically.

The pedal (either one) should go from 0 to 127 smoothly. The curve being used may make the numbers change a little faster in some areas of the pedal's travel than others. For example, select curve 3 and start with the pedal at 0, watch the monitor and move the pedal about a third of its travel, check the monitor reading, change to curve #2 and barely move the pedal. The value should jump to that curve's value at that position. The longer the pedal's travel distance the more spread out the value change. A short pedal travel along with a curve that changes values quickly in some areas can make the expression changes sound jumpy. The longer the pedal travel the smaller the change any movement makes so a longer travel provides greater expression.

There are a few different ways the expression pedal can control the overdrive. With the one used most commonly - the pedal controls both expression and overdrive - the curve affects the overdrive change the same way it affects expression.

With any pedal, the monitor should be checked to make sure that it reaches 127 just before it hits the end of its travel. If it doesn't the gain should be adjusted +/-.

With a pot type pedal, check the monitor with the curve set on 2(a straight line). The numbers shouldn't change faster in some areas of the pedal's travel than in others. I think there are 2 types of pots, one changes evenly throughout its range and the other has a curve to its change. (IIRC, audio taper and logarithmic?)

The limit low and high frequency settings determine how low those ranges drop in volume as the pedal is raised. This amount is in relation to the minimum setting. The more or less the overall volume is set to change, the faster/slower the high and low ranges change when the pedal moves. Which is also affected by the curve being used. There are a number of settings that affect each other so tweak away to get the effect you like.

The Expression settings start on pg. 78, the overdrive setting is on pg. 92.

If I play standing I find the FC-7 more comfortable. I guess because the heel can touch floor level. This is important because on a Hammond I ride the swell pedal. It hurts but I have broke both ankles. Once doing swiss seat rappel down a cliff and the other kicking a guy in the ribs.

This is why classical pedaling technique doesn't apply to a Hammond, one foot is always on the swell pedal.

Playing a XK3c from a bench the EXP100 smokes the FC7. It is like comparing a PRS Custom 24 with the cheapest guitar from the Ibanez lineup.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Many thanks for both of your answers. Does the EXP100F work with the SK1? The Hammond site doesn't exactly say.

I did see a post where someone complained that the Leslie switch didn't work with all his keyboards.

If not, I will go for the EXP50.

CEB, I play sitting down, so I will try to keep one foot on the pedal.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

No the EXP-100F has a multi-pin connector for the power it needs for the bulb etc. and the kick switch. The kick switch can be set to do a number of things so maybe it accidentally got set to control something else.

No the EXP-100F has a multi-pin connector for the power it needs for the bulb etc. and the kick switch. The kick switch can be set to do a number of things so maybe it accidentally got set to control something else.

Sorry JMcS, is that "No, the EXP100 F won't work with the SK1"?

Thanks,

SSM

The FC-7 works excellently with my XK-1C. I have smooth gain and a little bit extra kick even at the top of the pedal, which is not always the case with other setups.

Overdrive at the top of the range is increased just like it should be. Make sure you don't have this turned off on the SK.

It's a long throw pedal, although not quite as long throw as an original B-3. The Roland EV's are very short throw by comparison.

You DO need to set the pedal response to REVERSE in the menu.

The FC-7 has two physical tilt positions so that you can set it up for a more comfortable angle when standing.

IMO you would gain nothing by going to a Hammond pedal. The EXP 50 is just another pot based pedal, and the EXP-100 requires a special connector and won't fit an SK.

Moe

---

Sorry JMcS, is that "No, the EXP100 F won't work with the SK1"?

Thanks,

SSM

Yes, that's no. :)

I've posted on this topic a few times, but I don't remember writing what was attributed to me above. It's possible, but I don't remember it. And I've never owned and XK "system", so that's another reason I suspect it wasn't a quote from me.

It's sometimes easy to confuse quotes when they are embedded in other people's posts.

Anyway, regardless of all that, I like the EXP50. I think it's better constructed and provides a curve that feels a bit more well-matched to the Hammond. The tough question is whether its worth the money for an incremental gain. That's very debatable and will depend on how you use your pedal, but for me it "completes" the SK1 and I don't regret spending the extra $.

CEB may have a good point about better ergonomics for standing with the FC7. I think that might be a valid point.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I've posted on this topic a few times, but I don't remember writing what was attributed to me above. It's possible, but I don't remember it. And I've never owned and XK "system", so that's another reason I suspect it wasn't a quote from me.

That's because the post was from Aidan, with an "i", but thanks for your input! :laugh:

SSM

That's because the post was from Aidan, with an "i", but thanks for your input! :laugh:

SSM

now it all makes sense. time to get my eyes checked.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived