Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: GuitarPlayerFL] #1753625 05/18/07 07:05 PM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
Barely Legal?

Both examples mentioned specifically 15 year olds...

Last edited by Griffinator; 05/18/07 07:05 PM.
KC Island
Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: Griffinator] #1753648 05/18/07 07:41 PM
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
 Originally Posted By: Griffinator
 Originally Posted By: Is There Gas in the Car?
I'm not stuck in the sixties. I just want to find some great music without having to look so hard for it.

Ermmmmm

You could start Here....

;\)

Thanks Griff.

Seriously, it's uncharted territory for me.

Think about it - it's nice when a friend who knows whatcha like says, "Hey, I know you like this... now listen to THIS."

Yes, I know there's a web site that does this too.

But it's nice to have somebody thinking of ya.

\:\)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.� - Victor Hugo
Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: ITGITC?] #1753662 05/18/07 08:07 PM
mate stubb Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Gas,

Is the website of which you speak pandora.com?

That's what it is for - input some music you like and it will make a station to play you songs with similar musical characteristics.

You will find lots of new (to you) music that way!

Moe
---
"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: mate stubb] #1753685 05/18/07 08:43 PM
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
 Originally Posted By: mate_stubb
Gas,

Is the website of which you speak pandora.com?

That's what it is for - input some music you like and it will make a station to play you songs with similar musical characteristics.

You will find lots of new (to you) music that way!

Yup. \:\)

Thanks for the reminder. I'll try it again this weekend.

But does anyone agree with me on this? Is anyone else as sick of Oldies as I am? Well? ...so what are you doing about it?

(Please don't tell me you've traded your guitar for a mandolin and now play bluegrass music. ...Please.)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.� - Victor Hugo
Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: ITGITC?] #1753688 05/18/07 08:49 PM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
 Originally Posted By: Is There Gas in the Car?
Thanks for the reminder. I'll try it again this weekend.

But does anyone agree with me on this? Is anyone else as sick of Oldies as I am? Well? ...so what are you doing about it?

(Please don't tell me you've traded your guitar for a mandolin and now play bluegrass music. ...Please.)

Every time I'm almost sick of oldies, I stumble across something I've never heard before from way back then (most recently? Captain Beefheart) and I'm satiated.

Hell, dude, there was such an enormous amount of music released over the course of the last 45 years, and even in the period we refer to as "oldies" territory, it's pretty tough to say with a straight face that "I've heard it all, and I'm sick of it."

Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: Griffinator] #1753700 05/18/07 09:04 PM
Phil W Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Billie Holiday is one of the greatest singers regardless of what you think of her tone. Listen to the notes. Her melodic reinventions are stunningly inventive. Listen to how she sings Georgia with a beautiful improvised melody on the lyrics - different on each chorus. Yes, she was a junkie but she was a great musician. Have another listen.

Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: Griffinator] #1753785 05/18/07 11:59 PM
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Hell, dude, there was such an enormous amount of music released over the course of the last 45 years, and even in the period we refer to as "oldies" territory, it's pretty tough to say with a straight face that "I've heard it all, and I'm sick of it."

OK then, I'll rephrase that and say that I've heard it all when it comes to radio airplay. How's that? I think that's a fair statement, as they play the same tunes over and over again.

Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: ITGITC?] #1753786 05/19/07 12:06 AM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
That's fair. ;\)

Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: Griffinator] #1753791 05/19/07 12:14 AM
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
That's fair. ;\)

\:\)

I'm listening to Pandora now. I've never tried it. It's kinda cool.

I guess I'm kinda like a junkie and need a fix, huh?

Oh brutha.

Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: ITGITC?] #1753801 05/19/07 12:34 AM
R
Red Winger Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
New music junkie? Yep, sign me up.

I find the great thing about Pandora is that you can go on a binge for a while with a particular type of music (or music that's along the lines or a particular song/artist, etc.), and then change it up completely by creating a different "station" and go on a different binge. It's great for mixing things up a bit.

However, I still find that bouncing around iTunes and just randomly browsing around is the best way for me to find new music.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."
-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
Re: Musicians or bands you "don't get" [Re: Red Winger] #1753975 05/19/07 03:52 PM
David R Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Pandora's unfortunately had to stop streaming to many foreign countries due to licensing issues. I had hit and miss experience with it - the first time I listened to my Maria Schneider Orchestra station it turned me onto Anthony Braxton's Creative Orchestra Music. Amazing. Then again, I really had to tweak my Brazilian station a lot because I was going for a certain Afro-Brazilian-funk vibe, and was getting a lot of straight bossa nova: "This song has been recommended to you because it has percussion and Portuguese lyrics." Ahem.

Artists I don't get, just to re-rail this thread:
- Most of Anthony Braxton's work. I really really want to, I just don't understand his systems.
- A lot of Sun Ra.
- Cecil Taylor. No matter what I do, I just can't get into it.

David

My Site
Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic 9, Mainstage 2, Kontakt 5, AAS & Arturia stuff, fingers, pencil, paper.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner