Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Should I get an Electro?
DanS #1748080 05/09/07 02:36 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Tom.... get a Casio/Radio shack if you can find it. Then pick up the GEM Rp-x it makes for a killer cheap rig with weighted keys and it weighs less than 30 lbs. You haven't lived till you've tried it ... beers on me THIS TIME.....

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
Keyboard Corner Island
ITGITC? #1748104 05/09/07 03:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member
 Originally Posted By: Is There Gas in the Car?
And JeffDLB, the Roland VK-8 is a nice, nice keyboard. No doubt about it. But I'm primarily a piano player. I'm looking for a great piano sound, weighted keys and a board that weighs less than 20 pounds.

Very tough--I think the Electro has unweighted keys, and the Kurzweil PC3 you mentioned will apparently weigh 55lbs for 88 keys!

I also play mostly piano, using the Yamaha P120 for piano + weighted keys. I want better organ sounds, though, and the VK-8 and Electro 2 both seem like good choices and have piano sounds that are usable (I hope) in an emergency or for an informal jam.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.
FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.
BluesKeys #1748270 05/09/07 02:41 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: BluesKeys
Tom.... get a Casio/Radio shack if you can find it. Then pick up the GEM Rp-x it makes for a killer cheap rig with weighted keys and it weighs less than 30 lbs. You haven't lived till you've tried it ... beers on me THIS TIME.....

I was also going to suggest the Casio/RS option. I take my Radio Shack to many a practice and my spine is always very thankful. I even took it to a gig once. As long as you remember your converter (to convert up from the mini-plug), you are all set. If you don't....well....you can still make little percussive noises just by playing the keys.

Garrafon #1748281 05/09/07 02:50 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
 Originally Posted By: garrafon
 Originally Posted By: BluesKeys

I was also going to suggest the Casio/RS option. I take my Radio Shack to many a practice and my spine is always very thankful. I even took it to a gig once. As long as you remember your converter (to convert up from the mini-plug), you are all set. If you don't....well....you can still make little percussive noises just by playing the keys.

\:D

And don't forget the wallwart as I have done. My VK8m power cord worked sort of... nasty distortion now and then. I do like the light weight and even bringing along a module is no big deal considering any musician that sees Radio Shack on the key board has no idea how I get such a good sound out of it.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
Garrafon #1748296 05/09/07 03:09 PM
ITGITC? Offline OP
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
OP Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Jeff et al...

I'm looking for 73/76 weighted keys, 20 pounds or less, ;\) one unit - no sound modules dangling off to the side, and state of the art piano emulation. I'm not asking for much. \:\) And yes, I know that I live in Fantasyland. This has been discussed.

I'm on a mission here: to find the best-sounding rig with the lightest weight and the least amount of extra parts.

So far...

The QSC PLX1804 amp that I bought is phenomenal. LINK 13 pounds, 600 watts per channel, fits in a shallow rack, 2 spaces high.

I love my EAW speakers, but the new JBL SRX712M are only 33 pounds each. LINK I haven't heard them yet, but they might be just the ticket.

Sure, the Kurzweil PC1se is 46 pounds LINK but if they decide to put the new PC3 in a 73-note, fully weighted form, that could prove promising.

Until then, Eva and I will continue skipping stones on the lake. (IOW, I'll keep dreaming.) \:\(

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo
DanS #1748326 05/09/07 03:58 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote by "Is there Gas in the car":

"Mike - Give me an excuse to buy you a beer. One day you'll be driving down I-95 or I-85 and you're going to get thirsty. Give a shout out in my direction. Southern Hospitality? Find the right folks and you'll know it's not just something you read about in the funny papers."

Tom, as you know, I was a road musician back in the early eighties. And you know that I use to play at the Missions Valley Inn for several weeks at a time when I was doing the hotel circuit. I had seriously considered moving to the Raleigh-Durham area when I quit the road in 1985. Great area! I stayed in PA because I "had" family living here so it made the transition from road musician to working man a lot easier, as in, I had somewhere to live while I looked for "regular work". I've be re-thinking that lately because the local job market sucks, and the aching bones at my age don't agree with the climate here. I can SURE use a beer buddy, but my lack of $$$ makes it an outside shot that I could ever afford to come for a visit. I miss the "southern hospitality" that I experienced, as well as the "southern belles" I met back in the old days. Damn.

Mike T.

ITGITC? #1748354 05/09/07 04:19 PM
10k Club
10k Club
I'm on a mission here: to find the best-sounding rig with the lightest weight and the least amount of extra parts.

Yep, the ole sleight of brain trick. Dream about something that really does not exist. That is best way to avoid dealing with it i.e. keep the money in your pocket and/or head over to Best Buy and get the GD TV. \:D

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"
ProfD #1748366 05/09/07 04:32 PM
ITGITC? Offline OP
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
OP Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
 Originally Posted By: ProfD

Yep, the ole sleight of brain trick. Dream about something that really does not exist. That is best way to avoid dealing with it i.e. keep the money in your pocket and/or head over to Best Buy and get the GD TV. \:D

Shaddup PD.

I had 'em all fooled there for a few minutes, methinks. Then you had to blow it.

And as far as the HDTVs are concerned, I thought I told you my strategy on that:

"I'm waiting until the prices drop."

Buyer's remorse is a terrible thing to deal with when you already have a pack (not just one or two) a pack of dogs barking in your head.

...Plus incessant tinnitus.

No kidding.

Sucks for me. \:\(

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo
ITGITC? #1748382 05/09/07 04:55 PM
R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R

I'm looking for 73/76 weighted keys, 20 pounds or less, ;\) one unit - no sound modules dangling off to the side, and state of the art piano emulation. I'm not asking for much. \:\) And yes, I know that I live in Fantasyland. This has been discussed.

You forgot to mention the price cap. I know that doesn't matter in Fantasyland, but you might as well go for broke. ;\)
Paraphrasing a bit (in keyboard terms): There's lightweight, good and cheap. Pick any two.

[snip]

Sure, the Kurzweil PC1se is 46 pounds LINK but if they decide to put the new PC3 in a 73-note, fully weighted form, that could prove promising.

Okay, not a cheap option Tom (and I'm certainly not going to try to convince you that it is a good cost/benefit ratio), but it sounds to me like you might want to at least consider a Nord Stage 76. I just picked up a Stage 88 recently and it has, in fact, reduced my rig to one board for almost all gigs (I'm in a band that does mainly Blues/Rock covers with some originals). Like you, I prefer the weighted action (primarily a piano player), but the high trigger point on the keys for the organs means that it's much easier to play palm smears, rolls, etc. even though there isn't a waterfall keybed on the thing. And it's about 6 inches shorter and 25 lbs lighter than my Fantom. It's not perfect (there's room for improvement in some of its features), but it's pretty darn close for me (YMMV, of course). The price...yeah, ouch.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my two cents, since I've enjoyed reading the posts in this thread up to now.

Cheers,
Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."
-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
Red Winger #1748452 05/09/07 06:53 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
So, use the internal sounds on the RD/Casio...they aren't horrible....then all you need to do is fling the thing over your shoulder, put the mini-plug converter in your pocket and away you go.

And, I'm thinking Eva will be mighty impressed watching you walk down the street carrying a piano with ease!!!!

Garrafon #1748467 05/09/07 07:15 PM
ITGITC? Offline OP
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
OP Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club
 Originally Posted By: garrafon
...fling the thing over your shoulder, put the mini-plug converter in your pocket and away you go.

I just don't like the sound of that.

First, trying to perform with a keyboard that says RADIO SHACK on the front of it without cracking up is going to be really tough for me.

Second, I shy away from ANYTHING that requires a mini-plug converter. That's just wrong on so many levels.

Signed,

"I'm not the biggest keyboard snob on this forum, but I'm working on it." \:\/

PS garrafon, BluesKeys, and others who use and love the RS keyboard - I'M KIDDING. Buy me a beer and we'll all forget I said that.

ProfD #1748493 05/09/07 07:43 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I no longer subcribe to the "single bullet" theory (a self-contained, lightweight, all-the-sounds-I-need keyboard).

I use the RD300SX, which at 33 lbs is light enough for me. When you get in the 40 lbs and above range they start to feel heavy. I could see using the Casio/RS but I prefer the lighter action and basic controller functions of the Roland.

While I don't believe in the "single bullet" I do believe in industrial strength velcro and umbilical cords. The velcro I use to secure the module to the keyboard--making it essentially an extension of the keyboard. I'm looking forward to the Roland SonicCell for that purpose in the future (currently use the Fantom XR in a rack). I also use an umbilical chord to get power/MIDI/audio to and from the module to the amp. My set up is every bit as quick and easy as a single bullet but it is vastly more flexible and sounds better.

Busch.

burningbusch #1748731 05/10/07 03:46 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Face it guys Tom and his money are rarely parted. That is unless beer is involved then he will buy rounds for everyone. Thanks Tom

He just doles it out easily in smaller quantities. It is the BIG bucks that he can't stand to let go of. I understand Tom... We'll get you drunk and THEN go buy you a keyboard. Hey what are friends for. You can thank me later buddy.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.jimmyweaver.com
BluesKeys #1748753 05/10/07 06:34 AM
C
C
I think the Electro's big strength is that not only is it a very complimentary top-tier board (to make up for your bottom-tier's weaker organs/Eps/what have you) with a solid waterfall feel, the 76 key version doubles as a super-portable, great sounding, 'single bullet' stage piano (for those less elaborate gigs/rehearsals/jam sessions).

Personally, it's next on my list.

Last edited by Clifton; 05/10/07 06:35 AM.
ITGITC? #1748777 05/10/07 10:49 AM
D
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D

First, trying to perform with a keyboard that says RAD HACK on the front of it without cracking up is going to be really tough for me.

Cover up a few letters with duct tape, or marzipan strips, and you're coming at them from a whole new angle

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.
https://www.abandoned-film.com
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard