Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1743556 - 04/29/07 09:23 PM Copyrite Laws
Jessica T Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Hello everyone, hope I'm posting my question in an appropriate place. It is my understanding is that most songs created before 1923 are now considered to be in the public domain. I believe that our current copyright law states that works may be considered copyright-protected for the life of the owner(s), plus 70 years. 2007 minus 70 years doesn't equal 1923, so what about songwriters who left us 1937? What happens when a corporation owns the copyright rather than the composer? Afterall, corporations never die unles they go out of business. How can one know if something is in the public domain or not? Thanks a lot in advance.

#1751414 - 05/15/07 04:17 AM Re: Copyrite Laws [Re: Jessica T]
Musicbookman Offline

you can find out by contacting the us copyright dept at http://www.copyright.gov/ they have everything on file. if no one there will work with you directly, ask if they can recommend someone that can search it. there are copyright lawyers and agencies that can do a search for you.