Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cubase Question

I'm going from my dj set-up to my computer(pc) I was going with the steinberg studio pack. Is this the only way to go if I'm using cubase as my sequencer or can I just buy a soundcard and cubase seperately? If so which soundcard do you recommend other than the ST 24/96? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It all depends on your budget... If you have cash, the top of the crop is the RME Hammerfall series, or a few offerings from MOTU. I would stay very far away from M-Audio (lousy ASIO drivers). I don't know much about the ST card, but I am sure it is a repackaged version of another card (Steinberg doesn't make their own hardware). It could be a low-end RME (partnered with Steinberg). Check out [url=http://www.cubase.net]www.cubase.net[/url] for more information. By far the best Cubase resource on the net. All the best, Wiggum

Yeah your right RME makes the soundcard for steinberg I guess that means the hammerfall series would be compatible as well. "anything worth doing, is worth doing right...Hammerfall it is!! Thanks again for the info.

Cubase is a very cool program, but are you sure it's what you need? If you just want to make tracks, perhaps Reason would be a better choice. Give us a better idea of what you want to do...maybe Cubasis would do the job.

Buying the bundled package is not the only way to go. Actually, I'd suggest not buying the package as there are much better sound cards out there that are better supported. There are loads of sound cards, but here's some points to consider: - In order to get good results and low latency, make sure the sound card ships with ASIO 2 drivers. - PCI or PCM cards usually outperform usb. But there are some USB cards worth using. - RME is the undisputed king of cards for Cubase. - Motu generally provides great mac support but is behind in pc support. - Echo makes good cards and converters. Before buying a card, I'd suggest visiting the soundcard forum on Cubase.net and doing a search on the cards you're looking at. Hope this helps. Tommy-boy

The Studio Pack soundcard (ST2496) is actually an RME Digi96/8PST. I have a Studio Pack and it's a nice bundle. The card's very nice since you can expand it to 8 in/out with RME expander cards or any lightpipe convertor and it already has two channel analog I/O. Having Wavelab is also a nice addition for editing and CD burning but make sure you have a supported burner, most are anyway. Have fun.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Archived