Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Explain the Korg MS-20 kit to me

piano39

I don't get it. I was excited when I saw the announcement for a kit. I built a PAIA synth back in the day. Just built a few modules and considering making a full blown modular.

So, I can buy a fully assembled MS-20 mini for $599 or a MS-20 kit for $1399. The kit is sort of bogus in that it there is "no soldering required". So, for experienced kit builders there is no sense of accomplishment.

If you are going to spend $1399, wouldn't it make more sense to buy two MS-20 minis and have enough left over for a Moogerfooger CV processor (almost)? Or buy one of the new basic Modular synth kits?

I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No enlightenment here, but I think you, the modular synth builder type, is not the market Korg is going after. This is geared towards the collector, in very limited quantities. At least that's what Korg is saying now. Also people who passed on the mini because it's a mini. If all you need is a screwdriver and a wrench then it's like Ikea furniture. Anyone can do it. No sense of accomplishment necessary.
:nopity:

If the parts in the kit are of better quality than the ones used in the MS-20 Mini, that would justify the price.

Apparently Korg thinks hardcore MS-20 fans will buy the kit with the intention of adding their own mods, like a switch to toggle between the two types of filters.

Yes.

And yes, I was thinking that tinkerers might be able to mod this. But yes, no soldering, no wiring.

Waitaminnit, I read in a vintage synth overview once that the original MS-20 didn't have full-size keys, so by "grown-up keys" I guess you just mean "same size as original" whereas the MS-20 software controller was quite small and the previous MS-20 reissue was still not quite the same size as the original? Can anyone with an actual original MS-20 confirm whether it had full-size keys?

As for current users, they include Daft Punk and The Arcade Fire, which interestingly are two of the few bands from the past ten years that have stirred my interest.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Inexplicably, for all it's patching capability the MS20 lacks two common, and in my opinion very important, functions found on nearly every dual-oscillator analog Synth. That is Oscillator Sync and Pulse-Width Modulation. I have seen a couple of original MS20's on eBay that were modded for these functions. It is supposed to be fairly easy to do this mod so I don't know why Korg chose not to implement these functions now that they have re-issued it.

Anyway, the new kit allows the option of having both the early and later Filter designs which without any modification has to be selected by an internal switch. The MS20 is one of the only Analog Synths to have dual Resonant Filters, High Pass and Low Pass.

Also a plus is the MS20's External Signal Processor is more capable than those found on most other Analogs.

Aside from not having to solder anything in the kit version the connections that need to be made are held with magnets.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Aside from not having to solder anything in the kit version the connections that need to be made are held with magnets.

I'm going to try this kit first, since it's probably related, but cheaper and great for just messin' with sound:

http://littlebits.cc/kits/synth-kit

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

MS20 octave=6 and 3/8, hammond CV=6 and 3/8, fender rhodes=6 and 3/8
HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110

Waitaminnit, I read in a vintage synth overview once that the original MS-20 didn't have full-size keys, so by "grown-up keys" I guess you just mean "same size as original" whereas the MS-20 software controller was quite small and the previous MS-20 reissue was still not quite the same size as the original? Can anyone with an actual original MS-20 confirm whether it had full-size keys?

No, I mean that the MS-20 Kit has full-sized keys.

And I have an actual original MS-20.

No enlightenment here, but I think you, the modular synth builder type, is not the market Korg is going after. This is geared towards the collector, in very limited quantities. At least that's what Korg is saying now. Also people who passed on the mini because it's a mini. If all you need is a screwdriver and a wrench then it's like Ikea furniture. Anyone can do it. No sense of accomplishment necessary.

I think you're right about the target market, Dave. I imagine it's cheaper for Korg to produce unassembled MS-20 kits than full-sized MS-20s, but cheaper still to produce the MS-20 Mini. I think their MSRP is interesting, seeing as vintage MS-20s on eBay go for slightly more than that.

Regarding the mini keys, they're around 80% the size of "full-size" synth keys and feel great. They're nothing like the mini keys on a microKORG (or the awful things on my Microbrute). I find the MS-20 very, very playable. It's not a toy, it's a professional synthesizer. So at the end of the day, I really don't know why the average musician would go with the kit when there is a fully assembled MS-20 available for them at just a few bills.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I think you're right about the target market, Dave. I imagine it's cheaper for Korg to produce unassembled MS-20 kits than full-sized MS-20s, but cheaper still to produce the MS-20 Mini. I think their MSRP is interesting, seeing as vintage MS-20s on eBay go for slightly more than that.

Regarding the mini keys, they're around 80% the size of "full-size" synth keys and feel great. They're nothing like the mini keys on a microKORG (or the awful things on my Microbrute). I find the MS-20 very, very playable. It's not a toy, it's a professional synthesizer. So at the end of the day, I really don't know why the average musician would go with the kit when there is a fully assembled MS-20 available for them at just a few bills.

It's a fair point. They may want MIDI input and USB MIDI input so you can send notes from something other than the built-in keyboard, or they may view it as being a little reliable than an old used one. But the originals do go for not very much more than $1400 street for the kit.

BTW, this site also verifies that they use full-sized keys.

"But unlike the mini, everything is back to full size: full-sized keys, full-sized case, 1/4″ jacks on the patch bay (instead of minijacks), and all the same form factor and dimensions as the 1978 classic."

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/01/korg-ms-20-kit/

I'm not sure I understand the concern here, the kit is a full size MS-20, with full size keys and 1/4 patches, the other is a mini with 1/8", if you're OK with the mini you can save the money, but many of us hate mini boards and have zero interest, Korg addressed that, and I suppose the "kit" thing is to save costs, which is always a good thing.

• 2 months later...
So I got an e-mail today telling me my MS-20 kit finally arrived. Lucky me! Except right now I absolutely cannot justify it (read afford without putting on a credit card). I was told the "techs" in the store assembled it already (jeez, thanks fellas) and they are adding a "vintage" MS-20 case to go with it as compensation for it being opened. Told them I'd sleep on it and let them know tomorrow. That being said, I need to pass. I might regret it later but c'est la vie. If anyone wants in on this PM me and I'll send you the vendor information. It's not a major retailer, it's a small boutique shop far away from me.

So I got an e-mail today telling me my MS-20 kit finally arrived. Lucky me! Except right now I absolutely cannot justify it (read afford without putting on a credit card). I was told the "techs" in the store assembled it already (jeez, thanks fellas) and they are adding a "vintage" MS-20 case to go with it as compensation for it being opened. Told them I'd sleep on it and let them know tomorrow. That being said, I need to pass. I might regret it later but c'est la vie. If anyone wants in on this PM me and I'll send you the vendor information. It's not a major retailer, it's a small boutique shop far away from me.

I was going to say "Congrats!" until I saw that you don't plan to keep it. Bummer!

I still have my sights on getting an MS-20 Mini.

I'm not seeing the appeal in the kit myself. Maybe if they'd priced it around $1k, but the current asking price is too close to the vintage units. The 86%-sized keys are bigger and much better feeling than other mini keys like the MicroKorg. I'd prefer full-sized, but not for $800 more. That's a Rocket, all 3 Volcas, and part of a Monotron. :D
"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

Being able to switch between the two types of filter would be great - this is one thing the kit gives you that you don't get on the MS-20 Mini. But of course whether it's worth it is a question each of us can only answer individually. The Mini sounds fine to me.

But of course whether it's worth it is a question each of us can only answer individually.

agreed

The Mini sounds fine to me.

sonically it rocks. I was playing one yesterday at Guitar Center in Rockville MD. Wish I could deal with the mini keys. I'm trying, but not there yet.

This post is helpful to me for my other post as it is telling me what not to buy. :thu: kindda pricey too. For that much cabbage a guy could buy a killer synth module already assembled. :idk

If you return it and get something else, please post what you went with and what you think of it. I've been talkin with Toni and a breadboard is what I'm gonna start with. I better take baby steps towards my goal. Can be overwhelming to a newb like me.

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

• 2 years later...

Archived