Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1739094 - 04/22/07 02:27 PM Where to get good plug ins?
thanksforhelpethan Offline

Loc: los angeles
Anyone know where I can get high quality plug ins for free or dirt cheap... I dont care if its 100% kosher. But I need some so any tips or help where I can find them will be appreciated.

#1739896 - 04/24/07 12:31 AM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: thanksforhelpethan]
bdbklyn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles,CA,UNITED STATES
In a business where the karma fairy hits pretty hard I can't imagine trying to be succesful while using cracks or ilock enablers to get free use of someone else's intelectual properties.
Am I the only one left that finds the thought of this totally repulsive.

Bill Dooley

#1740372 - 04/24/07 05:49 PM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: bdbklyn]

Well Bill some people do not have the ability to afford $200 plug ins. I do not like having to result to such measures, but if I didnt I would still have just a dream in my crappy home rather then a half decent home studio.

But no your not the only one who finds the thought repulsive, I myself do. I am just willing to do whatever is nessicary in order to give myself the ability to do what I love to do. If there is a honest way for me to be able to obtain such tools I am all for it, but I wont let myself be held back because I can not afford such things.

Does anyone have any suggestions for free plug ins or cheap plug ins?

Edited by thanksforhelpethan (04/24/07 05:52 PM)

#1741836 - 04/26/07 02:04 PM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: thanksforhelpethan]
bdbklyn Offline
Platinum Member

If you're willing to do whatever is necessary why don't you get a job that pays you $200 and buy the plugins?

I don't intend this to be mean spirited. I am constantly overwhelmed when my mastering clients ask me for cracks of my plugins even though their major source of income is the sale of their product. The same people that bitch out free download sites for music are the first to ask if I can hook them up with unauthorized copies of processing software.

Bill Dooley
Just an aside, what recording software are you running?

Bill Dooley

#1742485 - 04/27/07 02:13 PM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: bdbklyn]

I use pro tools with a digi 001. I am no bum I do make money I just am in debt still after buying a korg triton extreme, mpc 2500, yamaha hs speakers, r0de ntk mic, digi 001, spending 3000 on materials to build the room, ect...

My personal veiw on my music though is if people only like one song off my album, then I would rather them dl it for free off limewire, then pay 17 bucks to buy my whole cd, after all thats what I do. But if someone really likes my stuff and loves the album then go buy it and support my efforts. I need money just like anyone, but I would rather have someone dl my stuff for free to listen to, then have them get no enjoyment from my music at all.

#1745066 - 05/02/07 01:35 PM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: thanksforhelpethan]
bdbklyn Offline
Platinum Member

I'm flummoxed and don't understand that reasoning at all. You paid for the turkey and you paid for the stuffing and mashed potatoes.
This makes it OK to steal the gravy?

Take some advice from an old man. Most cracked plugins will compromise and convolute your system at some point. That's the "karma" I'm referring to. I am a firm believer that you get back what you put into this business. You've got the Digirack plugins which makes your system more versatile than any recording studio in the world previous to 1993 or so and some really great sounding recordings were made before that. Dennis King one of the mastering engineers at Atlantic who I worked with used to say in his Caribean accent "Brother Doooooool........'tis a poor workman who blames his tools"

(btw Dennis was originally from Guyana and I hope he dosen't take offense by my referring to his accent as Caribean)

Bill Dooley
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=BILL-DOG|DOOLEY&sql=11:fbfexql5ldde~T4

Edited by bdbklyn (05/02/07 01:45 PM)

#1766426 - 06/14/07 08:37 AM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: bdbklyn]
Dave Martin Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville
Bill's absolutely tight - either use what you have or save up to buy what you want.

Karma WILL get you one way or another. I use no unauthorized software and my system (a 24in/48out Pro Tools HD3) and it's rock solid - even at 96K. a friend with a system like yours (complete with non-kosher plugs) seems to spend half his time re-booting to try and make it work...

Besides, it's the right thing to do.
http://www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records
http://www.cuppajoerecords.com

#1799444 - 08/23/07 08:23 AM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: Dave Martin]
Neil Wilkes Offline
Gold Member

Loc: London, UK
I read this thread with a sense - again - of Deja-Vu.
It really slays me how people think it is okay to steal software.
The people who break Copy Protection & illegally distribute these applications don't do it for the fun of it, despite the self-serving BS in their publicity. It's not for the challenge, it is to include all manner of back door stuff that will compromise your system. Disc imagers, Keyloggers, various trojans - and all well-buried several stages deep so that scanners will not pick it up. This is why you'll be rebooting, suffering dreadful performance issues etc.
You want it? Go & BUY it.

Theft is always wrong.

Quote:
If there is a honest way for me to be able to obtain such tools I am all for it, but I wont let myself be held back because I can not afford such things.

So if you think yourself to be a potential race car driver, but can only afford a beat-up old banger it's fine to go out & boost a ferrari then? Please - get a grip here!

Edited by Neil Wilkes (08/23/07 08:25 AM)

#1802671 - 08/30/07 10:26 AM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: Neil Wilkes]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Neil Wilkes
It's not for the challenge, it is to include all manner of back door stuff that will compromise your system. Disc imagers, Keyloggers, various trojans - and all well-buried several stages deep so that scanners will not pick it up. This is why you'll be rebooting, suffering dreadful performance issues etc.

Not to disagree with your premise, because I don't, but Waves' ILock challenge-response system, the old Logic dongles, and many, many other crap-tacular, performance-robbing protection schemes out there are a major deterrent to buying the software outright.

I use Sonar. Why? Because Sonar, software pirates be damned, still uses a simple serial number keycode. I refuse to be treated like a criminal by the software companies who wish me to become a customer. If you don't trust me with your software, you obviously don't want my money.

#1839780 - 11/12/07 12:02 PM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: Griffinator]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

Theft is theft, be it a $1 candy bar from the local store or pirated software. Sad that it has become so acceptable to use illegally obtained software, plugins, etc., and websites such as Craigslist are full of those willing to risk the federal charges to make a few bucks selling it.

DO THE RIGHT THING, BUY YOUR SOFTWARE LEGITIMATELY. Buying illegally copied software only drives the price of software up.

IOW, don't be an assh*le.

#1851807 - 12/05/07 11:29 AM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: audiorulez]
Trucks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the united britain great kingd...
There was a thread on the GP forum, regarding some good free Pro Tools plugins recently.. I'll see if I can dig it up.

#1851808 - 12/05/07 11:31 AM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: Trucks]
Trucks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the united britain great kingd...
http://www.masseyplugins.com/index_v2.html?page=home

There ya go.

Initially posted by Fumblyfingers

#1930039 - 04/21/08 08:10 AM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: Trucks]
MusicWorkz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
From the sounds of it, no matter if you spent the money to buy software, or got the cracks, it wouldn't make much difference in YOUR end product. Why?

Becasue you havent mastered what you already have in your posession. I would venture to say, with your current set-up, you have EVERYTHING you need to make good quality music-more than you really need, IF you know what you are doing.

Great music has been made with less than what you have right now at your disposal, but you don't know how to push what you already own to the limits. If you did, you wouldn't give a dayum about getting cracked software and instead, would be able to coax what you need out of the boxes you have.

As far as cracked software, as it has already been echoed time and again, is something that as someone making music, you should not want to do. When it is your turn to get paid, you don't want to have to look in the mirror to understand why you AREN'T getting paid.

We should be professionals, whether we are full-time musicians, weekend warriors or just hobbyists. Finding freeware is one thing-but using cracked software is another. Leave it alone.

My advice? Learn your equipment/software back and forth, inside and out, its strengths AND limitations-by the time you REALLY figure that out, you probably will be making good enough music where you can get paid for it or to produce it (one way or the other) and then be able to buy whatever till yours heart's content...

#1972545 - 07/23/08 01:15 AM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: thanksforhelpethan]
Neil Wilkes Offline
Gold Member

Loc: London, UK
 Originally Posted By: thanksforhelpethan
Well Bill some people do not have the ability to afford $200 plug ins. I do not like having to result to such measures, but if I didnt I would still have just a dream in my crappy home rather then a half decent home studio.

But no your not the only one who finds the thought repulsive, I myself do. I am just willing to do whatever is nessicary in order to give myself the ability to do what I love to do. If there is a honest way for me to be able to obtain such tools I am all for it, but I wont let myself be held back because I can not afford such things.

Does anyone have any suggestions for free plug ins or cheap plug ins?

So by the same logic, if you feel that you are the next big rally driver, it's okay to "do what you have to" and go steal a car to practise with?

#1982212 - 08/19/08 05:30 PM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: Neil Wilkes]
Mortal Engines Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
http://dontcrack.com/freeware/software.php/id/7037/audio/Plug-ins/

try some of these...they are pretty good for free...they also have RTAS so it shouldn't be a problem in your case...there is always the Fxpansion VST/RTAS wrapper that you could buy as well.

Also:

http://www.kvraudio.com

http://www.smartelectronix.com

have fun!

http://www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

Edited by Mortal Engines (08/19/08 05:30 PM)

#1982962 - 08/21/08 01:42 PM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: Mortal Engines]
2leftears Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Dooooo! Just checked out your list o'credits. Wow. Very cool!

#1985010 - 08/28/08 04:52 PM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: 2leftears]
Mortal Engines Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Gee...uh....Thanks! Do you have a myspace yet? Invite me as a friend.

#2013525 - 11/17/08 02:51 PM Re: Where to get good plug ins? [Re: Mortal Engines]
audiorulez Offline
Gold Member

Just the fact that you posted this on a forum shows your lack of professionalism.

Get a job, earn some money, buy what you want. That's how it works.