Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My "new" CP5's XLR outputs & mixers!

I-missRichardTee

What is the purpose of those two cool looking Outputs ? Do they improve fidelity over long distances.. just a guess? From the CP5 manual we read

"the CP5 also features a pair of professional-use, balanced XLR

connectors that prevent unwanted noise from entering output signals. When connecting a mixer, we recommend that

these balanced [L] and [R] output connectors be used."

Would anyone want to explain in a little more detail, my options here? I normally use 1/4 inch Out straight into 1/4 inch In to powered speakers in stereo. Would I achieve better fidelity using XLR Outs?

I would consider a new small mixer but so far, mixers seem to degenerate the source a bit.

Is there a mixer that does not require a refi on my mortage, that will not compromise the sound of the keyboard?

Thank you

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried using the XLR outputs of from my RD700SX into a Yamaha MG12/4FX mixer - and ran into issues. While both a 1/4 TRS and the XLR output are "balanced" outputs - the XLR outputs are typically a much "hotter" signal. I found that my Yamaha MG12/4FX could not handle the "hotter" signal. I simply could not turn down the input gain on channel enough to prevent it from overdriving the channel. I ultimately abandoned using the XLR outputs and returned to using the 1/4 TRS outputs. Be certain that whatever board you use is capable of dealing with the "hotter" signal that the XLR outputs deliver.

As far as sound quality goes - I did not notice any difference in fidelity between the two.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

As it happens, the manual for SpaceNorman's mixer has a very nice explanation of all this. See pages 6 to 8...

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/mixers/mg12_4fxe.pdf

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think when I had my Korg SV-1 I would send the XLR outputs to the main house mixer (long cable runs) and send the phono to an amp for my personal monitoring.

I always like the idea of the SV-1 permitting external inputs (from say a moog, mixer or whatever) and then the XLR outs of the SV-1 were a nice way to feed the FOH without recourse for DI boxes.

I tried using the XLR outputs of from my RD700SX into a Yamaha MG12/4FX mixer - and ran into issues. While both a 1/4 TRS and the XLR output are "balanced" outputs [...]

Just to help I-missRichardTee...

The CP5's 1/4" phone outputs are unbalanced. For short cable runs, they'll usually work fine. For long runs, using the balanced XLR outputs is often the better choice.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Archived