Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another organ registration query: Booker T's 'Soul Dressing'

Kawai James

Good morning chaps,

I'm playing the rather cool Booker T & the M.G.s cut 'Soul Dressing', and would appreciate some pointers on the organ tone.

[video:youtube]

Currently I'm using the following on my Electro 3:

Upper manual: 808800000, no C/V, percussion (no soft/fast/third)

Lower manual: 514000000, no C/V

(in this tune the lower manual just seems to play a sustained G minor chord, perhaps without the root G?)

The upper manual sounds reasonably close for the initial melody part (although perhaps a little harsh on the top notes). However, in the original track the registration appears to change during the break (from 0:44) - is this correct? I have tried adding some 6th and 8th to the registration, but it's not quite there.

Any tips would be gratefully appreciated!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds to me like he's using two different registrations for the main melody. The first time through it's something like this:

505 570 800 no c/v, 2nd harmonic percussion on, slow, normal

The second time through the A-section he adds the second drawbar and plays the melody an octave down.

585 570 800

For the chords, he's comping using that second setting.

And after the chords he turns off the percussion and pushes that second drawbar back in.

Jim... I am genuinely impressed by your ear and knowledge!

My latest B3 , "I wish I could sound and play like", player is The wonderful Chester Thompson.. on his quartet/ quintet, "Mixology" . Can an organ clone wheel sound like that? Chester wouldn't use a clonewheel would he?

Great ear, man.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

The organ on "Mixology" sounds like a '55-'57-ish wood-linebox B-3...

Great album...Chester's one funky cat. I really love "Medallion" off that record...what a groove...

TP

Another member with finely tuned "ears". 57-59 eh? What is "wood linebox"?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Jim... I am genuinely impressed by your ear and knowledge!

My latest B3 , "I wish I could sound and play like", player is The wonderful Chester Thompson.. on his quartet/ quintet, "Mixology" . Can an organ clone wheel sound like that? Chester wouldn't use a clonewheel would he?

Great ear, man.

In listening to the samples, I'd say that most of the tone on that album is the Leslie being overdriven, most likely a 122 with the original Tung Sol / Leslie power tubes pushed hard. The drawbar registrations he's using are standard Jimmy Smith registrations.

Can you get something similar on a clone? Probably. Especially if you went through a real Leslie but I can get something similar out of the SK2 with it's internal sim and the EP overdrive.

wood linebox = wooden vibrato delay line box with the 22K chorus mix resistor...shallower chorus with less warble. Very late 1957 the smaller metal-frame delay line box appeared along with a 12K chorus resistor, giving it a bit more depth.

And yes, CT's getting nice overdrive from the rig, and I think Jim's right on the Tung-Sol 6550 call. It sounds like the overdrive you get out of old TS's with a lot of miles on them. If they stay in use too much longer they'll really start getting mushy. I had to throw away a pair recently...all I was getting out of them was mush. Made me sad. :( When putting in Russian tubes significantly improves the tone, you know the old TS's were done.

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Okay, I had a chance to try Jim's suggestions yesterday evening.

I believe it's definitely an improvement on what I was using, and pulling out the second drawbar when the melody is repeated really hits the spot! Good stuff. ;)

I still wasn't sure about the break from 0:44 (in the video above). I originally though it was played on the right hand (5th finger plays the top G, thumb and 2nd/3rd finger play the C+E/Bb+D chords) using the same registration.

This appeared to be confirmed by Jim, who previously wrote:

For the chords, he's comping using that second [585 570 800] setting.

However, yesterday I experimented with using a different registration (Unfortunately I'm away from my Electro at the moment, and don't recall what I used...) split to the lower manual, and playing the chords there, while still holding the top G with my right hand.

It's a little awkward, and means having swap between two presets, but the results seemed closer to the sound of the original track.

Bear in mind that all this was through headphones - fingers crossed the character of the sound will not change too much when played through the Fender amp at Saturday's band practise!

Thanks again for all the tips chaps. On first listen, this sounds like a very easy song...however I believe there's perhaps a little more going on.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

There is nothing like those old Booker T and the MG's tunes.... So simple and tasty... Never overplayed... Total class!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

There is nothing like those old Booker T and the MG's tunes.... So simple and tasty... Never overplayed... Total class!

Totally+++1

All four of those cats, Booker, Al, Steve, and Dunn, were individual bad bad dudes, and collectively they were unsurpassed. And Green Onions was a track, I long ago recorded in a studio ( on bass ) and never really appreciated ( because I foolishly thought it was so simple... yeah right ) until a few years ago, when a student ( I suck at teaching so no more students ) asked about Green Onions. The more I checked it out ( aka listened repeatedly to it )

the greater my appreciation for Booker in particular ( but Steve Cropper was amazing too ) grew and grew.

It is almost in a league with Mozart. Just try to emulate that.. good luck with that! Elegant , musicality!

Archived